Watch Trailer

One Man Army

Prem,

There is validity to what you say.

But I wonder where the movies are where a Sikh faces great adversity, for example, coming to America struggling with jobs, being forced to fight with his/her fists, making sacrifices to remain strong and keshdhari, and ultimately conquering and leading others?

Or the Sikh in India and takes a stance for dignity for Sikhs and sacrifices his/her life, or one who sacrifices just about everything the average person lives for. There are 100s of those real stories for every one real story otherwise.

Is reality reflected as you say? If so where are the movies reflecting the above reality? Telling half the truth is usually called a misrepresentation if not a lie.

You do have a point. I personally, am not offended by this movie. However, I do appreciate those who take notice and recognize the subtle messages of this type of thing for a Sikh. For those who are offended; I can only have a great deal of respect for them.

Ishna

Well, that is a very big question, isnt it? It reminds me of the honour killing debate in Canada - is it right to call the mother and father who murdered their own daughter as Sikhs?

On a spiritual level, it is clear that they have sinned against Guruji in a most heinous way. So, technically, morally, practically, they have sinned against Sikhi. But I think there is a risk if we do that whenever a problem arises, we don't face up to the problem - we just sweep it under the carpet, we say, 'Oh no, they are not true Sikhs, so we don't have to worry about it'. The fact is, 'Sikh' is not only a moral and religious construct, but a social one too - and merely saying that they are not true Sikhs means we don't face up to our responsibilities in dealing with issues inside us that produce monsters like honour killers etc

Ishna

Well, that is a very big question, isnt it? It reminds me of the honour killing debate in Canada - is it right to call the mother and father who murdered their own daughter as Sikhs?

On a spiritual level, it is clear that they have sinned against Guruji in a most heinous way. So, technically, morally, practically, they have sinned against Sikhi. But I think there is a risk if we do that whenever a problem arises, we don't face up to the problem - we just sweep it under the carpet, we say, 'Oh no, they are not true Sikhs, so we don't have to worry about it'.  The fact is, 'Sikh' is not only a moral and religious construct, but a social one too - and merely saying that they are not true Sikhs means we don't face up to our responsibilities in dealing with issues inside us that produce monsters like honour killers etc

151622[/snapback]

Prem, in this case what are you doing for case of murder and rape of christian nuns by hindus in India? This did not happened 50 years ago, but is happening right now....shall we make a movie out of that?

Harnek Singh

Your post to me makes no sense. What does one have to do with the other? And why are you speaking to me in an accusatory tone? And this movie is not about what Sikhs did to Muslims, it is about the madness of partition and shows how humanity broke down during partition.

And yes, there have been movies made in India about the Hindu extremists and their violence recently.

Prem, I was merely responding to the theme of your response saying the responsibility lays solely on us for things that not in our control...

as you said,

The fact is, 'Sikh' is not only a moral and religious construct, but a social one too - and merely saying that they are not true Sikhs means we don't face up to our responsibilities in dealing with issues inside us that produce monsters like honour killers etc

I know we have a problem, but its not a Sikhi problem, its an Indian problem, just like the female fetocide article you posted. The same goes for bride burnings too. Do you know which state has the highest bride burning in India? Its uttar Pradesh and it occurs year after year.