Watch Gurinder Chadha Trace Her Sikh Family Tree

asmlondon

Gurinder Chadha, Director and writer of the films ‘Bend it Like Beckham’ and ‘Bride and Prejudice’ said today will appear on BBC2 at 9pm tonight tracing her personal family tree from Britain to Kenya back to India and originally from West Punjab.

This program sheds light onto how sikhs in britain can trace their family heritage as far back as the 10th century and shows how the indigineous indian records can be even more detailed than the British ones.

Earlier this week, commenting on the launch of a new website devoted to Punjab's heritage Gurinder said : “I learned about my own past and my family's history on BBC 1's 'Who do you think you are?' At Punjab Heritage News I learned how much of that history is in danger of disappearing”

And i never knew Alexander the great visited India!(well now part of Pakistan now).

alexander turned back after he got a stomach bug

his army got scared of the elephants and his horse died in that place i think.

orignally the place was a jungle.

interesting that her dad had to take amrit for anad karaj

should this not still be in place that only amritdharis can and should go around for anand karaj?

bhul chukke muaff

And i never knew Alexander the great visited India!(well now part of Pakistan now).

alexander turned back after he got a stomach bug

his army got scared of the elephants and his horse died in that place i think.

orignally the place was a jungle.

interesting that her dad had to take amrit for anad karaj

should this not still be in place that only amritdharis can and should go around for anand karaj?

bhul chukke muaff

152081[/snapback]

VJKK VJKF

Yes i agree this should still be the requirement for marraige however alot of people find that the marraige may strengthen their beleif then they take amrit

khalsa fateh

Guest Sikh_Singh_Khalsa
Have you heard the name Sikander? Like the Punjabi folk singer Sardool Sikander? It is believed that the name Sikander is taken from Alexander - it was passed down through Punjabi legends of the great invader from the west.

152110[/snapback]

Yes Veeji, SIkander was a name used by people in those times for Alexander because they new he has won almost evrything and person who never loses and is a ruler is called SIKANDER in faarsi

. (my grandpa told me)

But i wonder if FAARSI is the same as it was back in those days because FAARSI is a punjabi name for FRENCH....

Guest militant singh

The commentator came up wid ''''the river ganges is holy 2 hindus and SIKHS ''''Sikhs what rubbish is this we dont consider a dirty polluted river full of bodies and sewage Holy ,BBC should get their facts straight

The commentator came up wid ''''the river ganges is holy 2 hindus and SIKHS ''''Sikhs what rubbish is this we dont consider a dirty polluted river full of bodies and sewage Holy ,BBC should get their facts straight

They said the place Hardwar was of religious importance to both faiths not the river ganges.

Overall it was an interesting programme, the events of the '47 period the family went through and that her ancestors were in Maharaja Ranjit Singh's army.