South Park, Catholicism And Prophet Mohammed

Manchester_Sikhi

So, here we have another example of the media/tv using religious figures as in their work:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4735216.stm

It's strange however, that there isn't the same sort of uproar as seen over the recent depiction of Prophet Mohammed in the press.

I think Catholics, and to a large extent other religions, need to take some point from the Islamic point of view with regards to depiction of religious figures in the media.

I'm not saying we should riot, but free speech goes to some extent...and to depict a bleeding Virgin Mary in South Park is a little OTT if you ask me.

What do you guys think, and how would we react if it was a portrayl of one of our Gurus?

The statue is bleeding in what context? There are pictures of bleeding Virgin Mary statues all over the world. I fail to see the problem, and I don't understand how someone can judge a program as automatically being disrespectful if they haven't seen it before.

As for images of the Sikh Gurus... it would depend on the context. This very issue was discussed a few days ago with regards the the Pokerguru website... I think it's in the closed threads section now if you want to have a looksee.

I think some things need to be taken with a grain of salt, and over-reacting to these things can make a community look foolish.

I think it is healthy to be able to have a giggle with regards to your religion sometimes, as long as it is not disrespectful. People take life waaay too seriously sometimes, and that ends up getting people killed!

Imho.

Ishna.

OK..have you ever seen south park....if you have then you'll understand their "type" of humour...

Secondly....the use of religious figures in "dark/sick" comedy/cartons such as South Park I think is wrong....don't get me wrong...i actually like South Park....but if you have doubts then read this :

"Knowing that he has a deadly disease that he can’t cure himself Randy starts drinking, hoping for a miracle to cure his disease. In a nearby town called Bailey there is a statue of the Virgin Mary at St. Peter’s church. The statute has started bleeding out of its <admin-profanity filter activated>. Randy is watching the local news coverage of the event and becomes interested when he believes the statue will help cure him of his disease."

taken from:

http://www.tv.com/south-park/bloody-mary/e...08/summary.html

Now, can you honestly say that is acceptable...I doubt there are countless statues of the Virgin Mary around the world depicting with the statue bleeding from the rear.

Now I'm not saying I'm going to jump up and start saying "Kill the producers of South Park".

But you can take free speech to an extent...when you read the religious context..I think the media should stay well away.

I'm just amazed now many Catholics around the world are standing up and registering the disgust at this.

The admin removed the word...but check on the site...its the rear end basicallly...but if you read the full episode description from that site you will see it's...and forgive the crudeness....menstrual blood.

Haha, I love that admin profanity filter. It makes discussions so much fun!

"The friggin <admin-profanity filter activated> and the other <admin-profanity filter activated> did the stupidest <admin-profanity filter activated> ever and I got so <admin-profanity filter activated> that I yelled <admin-profanity filter activated> at all the <admin-profanity filter activated> I could see!" (and that's a cut'n'paste of the <admin-profanity filter activated> text, not actual swear words mind you!)

Anyway, *ahem*, back to the discussion:

Personally, I hate South Park. I refuse to watch it most of the time, and will only watch it if it does not go "too far" and that to avoid it would be too much of an inconvenience at the time. I fact there is a lot I will not watch out of principle.

And given your description of the <admin-profanity filter activated> episode, I hope I never do see it. I would class this as "disrespectful", not humerous. There is humour, and there is disrespectful humour.

But then, it's a matter of perspective, isn't it?

I've seen the ep, several weeks ago.

Firstly, one of the things abuot South Park is that it satirises (right word here?) popular topics. For example, in one episode, it rips on Mormons, making a mockery of the religion. But then in another ep, it says that Mormons are the true path to heaven.

Similarly, it's focussing on all of the stories around statues of the Virgin Mary bleeding from her eyes (which I believe happened many months back). So it takes the mick out of it.

I'm pretty sure it has ripped on catholics, Jews, and other religions. Yet in another ep, it also depicts leaders of the major religions (Jesus, Moses, Krishna, Lao-Tzu, Bhudda, and Mohammed - yes even he's depicted in the show!). Anyway it shows these leaders who work together to fight evil as Super Best Friends or something.

I'm not defending south park, but I Do watch it and do love it for what it is. A show that takes the mick out of everything, thereby negating it's stance on anything.

South Park is cool.

But answer me this question.

If that was a Guru in that episode...would your reaction be any different.

If so, then you are contradicting yourself by saying its OK for other religious figures but not out beloved Gurus (I'm not aiming this at anyone really, its more a thought provoking statement).

I personally would feel offended by the portrayal of a Sikh Guru in this maner, no-matter how satirical the program is. Imagine if that wasn't the Virgin Mary bleeding but it was Guru Gobind Singh Jee that was bleeding

no.gifno.gifno.gifno.gifno.gifno.gifno.gif

Just because South Park and maybe other media programs portray religious figures in this light doesn't make it OK.

I'm all for having a laugh and joke with South Park (it rocks after all), but I don't think just because they poke fun at all religions it makes it OK for them seeing as they are offending everyone in one go and no-one particular party is picked upon.

I for one would NOT accept any media taking the P**S out of Sikhi related or any other religious figures/Gods or Prophets.

actually i wouldn't care cause i'm one of the people who doesn't believe in pictures as my guru. i don't believe those pics of guru nanak or guru gobind singh ji as my gurus. they are just some dudes with beards for all i care. my guru is shabad guru. bhagat kabir ji is in sggs, sheikh farid, bhagat ravidas, bhagat naam dev, dhana jatt, etc etc, why don't we call them guru kabir ji, guru farid ji, cause baani is guru.

if south park manages to make a talking SGGS ji then i would be shocked.

BTW, the reason they showed the mary statue bleeding is because in mexico and america someone is lways eeing a statue weeping or bleeding and they were mocking it...they were showing how people get all wrapped on rituals and defy all common sense....it's not like they made something completely up out of the blue...also if you watch southpark, God is some weird looking creature. South park does not have an agenda to destroy anyone's faith like real threats out there. there are real threats and imaginary ones. trust me south park is not a real threat to anyone.