Kaur

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji gifted us with the name Kaur, literally meaning princess. I want to know when you introduce yourself with name Kaur what do you feel. Basically what does Kaur mean to you? Describe it in one word or one sentence, anything.

As well, for those who do not use the name Kaur in their name, but when you hear someone introducing themselves with the name Kaur, what do you feel?

Just want some feedback for a little project that I’m working on.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

kaur:

well i know im princess, but i dont tell anyone because i feel that if i tell the other person that my last name is princess it kinda sounds corny blush.gif or might give a bad impression to the other person about me. the person might think that im trying to say that im rich(eventhough im not and jus being egoistic....also they might think im delusional/or have psychological proble...lol)

im am so sad! :lol:

I want to know when you introduce yourself with name Kaur what do you feel. Basically what does Kaur mean to you? Describe it in one word or one sentence, anything.

154145[/snapback]

:lol: This is a great question. Whenever I'm filling in an application or anything, and I put down Kaur, I remember I'm Guru Gobind Singh Jee's daughter. Like, of course we know it, but I never really pay attention to it.....it's not something that I think about all day long. But when I write Kaur, or say it, I remember it instantly. With Kaur, it is my 10th Guru that always comes to mind.

It's a really good feeling.

d_oh.gif Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Gobind Singh Jee. d_oh.gif

Hope that helps... :cool:

Fateh jeeo.

VJKK VJKF

i always thought that Kaur translating into princess is a very common misconseption and really comes from a price named Kaurna---some thing

who asked his father if he could go fight in a war ... and that name given to him meant Lutinent. as an army ranking... i think 10 patshah gave woman the name of Lutinent as in symbolizing that his daughters could comand an army of singh

any one else ever come across this explaination as well???

BHUL CHUUK MAAF

VJKK VJKF

No, I'm with mann_kaum_layee_qurbaan Veerjee. It was on Waheguroo Network, a post by Simmal Tree Veerjee. I was looking for it yesterday for a discussion session with a group of girls at today's camp, but couldn't find it.

Funny it should come up now! I'll go check again and edit if I find it.. Veerjee said that Kaur actually means prince..

---

ah pshh im so stupid i never thought to check if someone else linked to veerjee's post

http://forums.waheguroo.com/index.php?show...&hl=simmal+tree

it's a similar thread to this posted by FaujKaur Bhenjee on DiscoverSikhi.. follow the posts down, he's been quoted.

bhull chuk maaf

Waheguru Jee Kaa Khaalsa Waheguru Jee Kee Fatehh

vgjkk vgjk

the question : what do i feel when i hear someone introduce them selves with the last name 'kaur' ?

the answer: Every name in the sikh religion have special and induvidual meanings.

'Singh' means lion and 'Kaur' means lioness. Some examples i read on a sikhi site, was :

Tegh Bahadur means, brave swordsman, Amar Singh means, Eternal Lion, Daljit Kaur means, Heart Winning lioness, and there are many more, but these are the ones that i have read, and are wonderfull examples.

Just to add to the conversation, these shabads are normally sung at a childs birth.

Satgur sachai dia bhej- The guru has sent the child. The long-lived child has been born by destiny. (Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji, p. 396)

Parmeshar ditta banna- The supreme lord has given me His support and the abode of distress and disease is demoloished. (Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji, p.628)

The surname or last name of Singh and Kaur was bestowed upon the Khalsa by Guru Gobind Singh on the day of Baisakhi at Sri Kesghar Sahib (Anandpur Sahib) in 1699.

In conclusion, i feel hapy when introduces them with that last name, as it is a part of sikhi, and its a beautiful way to remeber your guru and to remeber where you belong.

Bull chaaak maaph karnji ji.

Just my two cents.

vgjkk vgjkf

i heard kaur actually means prince and not princess ...because after a king the prince takes the throne and becomes the ruler and the kaurs are the inheritors of the khalsa panth as they will give birth to future khalsas...i read this on this forum or waaheguroo one...

154175[/snapback]

i heard that too........but when i asked my daddy he sed the word 4 prince is KANWAR......so i guess kaur means princess

as for what i feel when i tell sum1 my name is navdeep KAUR......it just makes me feel so much more prouder of being guru ji's daughter.......and i just feel like bowing down to guru ji for giving a moorakh like me such an exalted position d_oh.gif