Meditation

Dear brothers and sisters,

Fateh araj karo ji - Waheguru Ji K khalsa Siri Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I was wondering if I could have your views on what to focus on when doing naam simran. And whether anyone would like to share their own techniques of 'detaining' the mind when doing simran.

Your comments would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Satinder Singh

Dear brothers and sisters,

Fateh araj karo ji - Waheguru Ji K khalsa Siri Waheguru ji ki Fateh.

I was wondering if I could have your views on what to focus on when doing naam simran. And whether anyone would like to share their own techniques of 'detaining' the mind when doing simran.

Your comments would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

Satinder Singh

156174[/snapback]

Wahguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Wahguru Ji Ki Fateh.

i have been taught a way to do Simran...and i like it a lot.

first, sit up straight. and stay in that position for like 30 seconds.

then, slowly start to calm yourself. breathe slowly, trying to relax your muscles.

then, after you get really comfy, you can start to just think about how great God is.

(that brings your mind more concentrated on God...rather than just starting to do Simran.)

then...this is my fav. and it really works for me.

1. when you breathe in while saying 'Wah' of Waguru, try to concentrate on your bellybutton. (sounds funny to some people maybe, but if i think if you try hard to think about it, you'll know why the concentration sould be started there first.)

2. and then keep breathing in (continuing to recite 'Wah' of Wahguru) while concentrating on the area below the middle of your cheast.

3. and then keep breathing in (while saying 'Gu' of Wahguru) concentrating on your throat. (where you start to speak the name of God)

4. and then breathe out, while concentrating on the middle of your forehead. (above the nose) while saying 'Ru' of Wahguru.

you have to 'feel' the areas of where youre concentrating on.

but honestly veer ji, Simran is something that an individual should learn how to do him/herself. everyone has different ways of doing it. just like how there are different ways of reaching God through the different religions. pray.gif

have fun pray.gif

peace...

Wahguru Ji Ka Khalsa. Wahguru Ji Ki Fateh.

really, the biggest factor in concentration is Love. It's also the hardest to achieve, so we have various techniques used to help us concentrate.

1. Seva cleanses our mind like crazy. Try doing a full day of seva at your gurdwara, then go home and do simran...you'll know what I mean.

2.Do simran with Gursikhs. That positive energy of just being in the company of others who have lots of love for Guruji will help you do simran with concentration.

3. When alone, say "vah" in the navel, say "he" in the forehead area (kind of nasal-like), "gu" in the back of the throat, and "ru" from your mouth.

There are other techniques as well.

Dear sisters/brothers..

Oh boy have I really blown it ? :lol: @

The picture of guru nanak sitting by a tree near a stream comes to mind when I’m doing simaran.

ok ok I know its only a man’s interpretation of what guru nanak looked like but the sense of peace I get feels like I’m getting a glimpse of the guru’s grace…

and then I marvel at the wonderful world god has made..

apologies to anyone if I offended.. d_oh.gif

on a passing note,

on night shifts I go and walk around the building, early in the morning as the sun’s coming up and the birds put me to shame as in they are singing to god at first light..

I’m doing japji sahib and the birds are doing it in their own language ……..

wacko.gif

Waheyguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheyguru Ji Key Fateh

Vir ji/ Bhain ji

Simran = Means constantly remembering something. In sikhism the simran we do is of Waheyguru ji, God. Waheyguru ji is Ne-rang-kar , formless. As humans we tend to do simran of something we love or something we desire. Example if a person desire to have a car. He/she will constantly keep on getting thought of a car in their mind no matter what he/she may be doing..their mind will keep on remebering car. They may keep on remebring the the qualities of the car colour, speed, engine and so forth.. which reminds them of a car. Even if we admire a person we admire them due to of their qualities such as kindness, polite, truthful and so forth. The qualities reminds us of a person.

simiraly, simran of wahey guru ji that is constant remebering of waheyguru ji can happen only if one concentrates on the Goo-uns / merits of waheyguru ji. This will generate love between you and waheyguru ji. In time your mind will start alonging to see ..merciful, king of kings, Bravest..waheyguru ji.Who has countless merities. Waheyguru Ji can only be seen/felt with your SURAt . The goo-uns of waheyguru ji which takes us in love is waheyguru Ji being sarab-wee-yeah-pak.( omnipresent) In Jap ji sahib ...muhu k bolun boleeai jith sun dhurae piaar ( what shaal i speak which will evoke love?)....anmrith vaelaa such naao vaddiaaee veechaar ( At amritwela ponder on true NAm and contomplate on his merits). For more information please read Sidh Gosht..its between guru Nanak Dev ji and Sidhs. Also look at Bhai Gurdas jis vars..It mentions about somran to beging with tounge..then para bani,..madhma --ba-kahree and panchtee. Should look Bhai Gurdas jis vars it explains in detail.

Guru ji was never and is not a Deh/ body. Therefor focusing on a picture will not yield much. Sidhs use to say Alkh nee-rangan and use to focus on breathing at na-bhe (belly button) but they went till sooo-un.

Please forgive me if I have said something wrong still learing.

waheyguru Ji ka Khalsa waheyguru Ji key fateh.