New Kirtan Maryada At Harmandir Sahib

rinku_sikh

Just wanted to know what the sangat think about the new maryada at Sri Harmandir Sahib re Tanti Saaj (String Instruments)?

I have been watching daily on Alpha ETC and think it is amazing. Also does anyone know of any websites where we can download such kirtan?

Kurta Pyjama Ji?

How come you chat so much pum?

String instruments are puratan saaj, raag kirtan is essential, you hardly hear proper raag these days and you should be grateful; when you do as this is the business.

Gurfateh.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

As sikhs we only should play stringed instruments as did the Gurus and Ragis in their time.

The baja is a way the french/british tricked us into learning other instruments making it easy for anyone to learn how to play and makes us easier to not play raag kirtan.

To play a stringed inst. it takes alot of time, practice and skill. While you learn how to play, you also learn how to play in Raag. When new people play kirtan it either isnt in Raag or it sounds really dumpy and isnt true Raag.

The british brought over a sit on pump harmonium and us Sikhs said" I aint playing that $#*!y thing, plus we cant sit on chairs." So they said "dang it" we cant trick them on that part. So they paid a guy in France to rig one so we could play on the floor. At first we didnt want it either but the made like a million of them and made them cheap to buy. And stringed inst. are harder to make and have more craftsmanship and cost more than these inexpensive piano things. So one guy got one then another and so on. Until it became mainstream and people started playinf baja for 3 reasons. 1) Cheaper to buy 2) kids can play/ easy to learn 3) more portable and wont go untuned or break so easy as a Sitar,Taus, Rebab etc.

After a while more people played baja than stringed inst. and to hear a string at kirtan was a treat because it sounds better, more meditative and traditional. Its slowly coming back and Im glad people have a want to play Raag Kirtan and while playing strings or flutes.

Now days non-raag kirtan is messing up the raags in Guru Granth Sahib because people read and dont sing in raag while reciting. Techno and pop while singing gurbani appeals to kids and takes there minds off of raag.

Raag is really important because the Gurus set the mood of the shabad by placing it in a certain raag in Guru Granths Saroop. When we dont hear it in perfect raag we dont get the whole benefit.

The Granthi at Bradshaw Gurdwara sings in perfect raag and he noticed that sometimes it makes I tear down fi I eye Khalsa. {rasta lingo} It really does make my emotions flip in my body and I start to tear which is a huge feeling for me and nothing else makes me do that. but this is a long story so Ill stop

There alot more but it would be a seminar.

I bow the the Shabad Guru d_oh.gif

Singh Ji knows where to look for info.. :TH:

what do you think Dhanasari mehala panjma means?

Its PanjaVaan

post-5391-1149721045_thumb.jpg

As sikhs we only should play stringed instruments as did the Gurus and Ragis in their time.

The baja is a way the french/british tricked us into learning other instruments making it easy for anyone to learn how to play and makes us easier to not play raag kirtan.

Hmmm, an interesting post... with no regard to other cultures instruments and singing techniques... is this how we promote diversity and equality in sikhi? or do we all have to submit to another cultures traditions and customs... there is alot of things that the Gurus and ragis did during there're time that we don't do or wasnt performed during that time - did they talk in english? (majority) use internet? drive cars? wear western style cloths? talk different languages? no... but that does not matter, since thsoe are external things outside the realm of sikhi... there is no official language of sikhi, nor style of cloths or favored race...

that was a little off topic, but it needed to be said as there seems to be little regard for other peopl's background and culture/customs in the sikhi community... maybe a reason why many outsiders don't view sikhi as a choice...

:@

How is this off topic when we are talking about a change in Kirtan at Darbar Sahib?

This is called Gurmat with stringed instruments.

English,internet,cars etc. was completely and utterly off topic.

You should learn Gurmat it would be good for you. tongue.gif :

post-5391-1149731810_thumb.jpg

How is this off topic when we are talking about a change in Kirtan at Darbar Sahib?

This is called Gurmat with stringed instruments.

English,internet,cars etc. was completely and utterly off topic.

You should learn Gurmat it would be good for you. tongue.gif :

you know what i'm talking about... or do you???

Guest Singh_jee

ok sikhs should be doing keertan with saaj right...

but people condem vaja because its not a 'sikh' instrument... well vaja is a good way to train your voice and to make it stick to one sur...

silly thing i dont understand is people do kirtan on vaja and hav a tanpura (light drone) in the bak? hmm anyway...

but people condem vaja because its not a 'sikh' instrument... well vaja is a good way to train your voice and to make it stick to one sur...

last year, i was at vancouver, and there was a youth group who performed kirtan using electtic guitar, sitar and several other instruments - it was really quite interesting to listen too as it was very new! pray.gif

Kirtan sounds good in all forms

But it is most benefitial to the soul if its done closer to how the Gurus laid it out for us. Instuments/ Raag

Baja is not a Sikh instument

Tablas that dont have a more cylinder shape {bass drum} arnet Sikh either.

Again I listen to all sorts of Kirtan { I am a musician myself } They all sound good but it would sound better in its traditional form used by the Gurus themselves.

All Gurus were musician singers and could play instruments.

This is a Gurdwara an hour away from my house with its huge Paalki Sahib

post-5391-1149790293_thumb.jpg

Guest Singh_jee

quote: Tablas that dont have a more cylinder shape {bass drum} arnet Sikh either.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL wattt no wayyy who told you that hahahahahaaa thts the most amount of .... ive ever heard hahaha omgg realy im on the floor laufing!!!!!!!!!!!!!