'kambdi Kalaai' - Paramjit Singh In The Uk

Kambdi Kalaai in the UK

Paramjit Singh from Washington DC who stars in the film 'Kambdi Kalaai' has just contacted the Sikh Federation (UK) to confirm he will be in Southall tomorrow evening where there will be a premier of the film in the UK. Anyone wishing to attend the premiere can contact Paramjit Singh on 07842 554518.

On Sunday he will be at the Nagar Kirtan in Leicester. He is hoping to show his film after the Nagar Kirtan. The film has just been released in the USA this week. It will only be available through Gurdwaras and not in stores.

See the write up of the film on Panthic Weekly below.

The film is about the Sikh identity while living in the Sikh Diaspora and is in Panjabi/English and set in the USA.

Film Review : “Kambdi Kalaai”

Sunday 2nd of April 2006

Panthic Weekly Staff

San Jose, California - (KP) “Kambdi Kalaai,” was released this week in San Jose, California. The film explores the dualities, which rise from living in a western culture and trying to be true to ones convictions.

The STORY

Set in New York City, “Kambdi Kalaai” opens with the main character Gurmukh (played by Parmjit Singh) bringing home Ida (Caroline Treadwell) a Caucasian fellow student, with whom he has apparently fallen in love. She is fascinated by Sikhi and by Gurmukh’s dastar and beard, his saroop. The opening suggests that the film will center on Gurmukh and Ida – it does not.

A parallel plot unfolds at the engagement of Gurmukh’s younger sister, Bhani (Preet Cheema). As the festivities are in full swing, all are horrified when Bhani’s fiancé shows up with an evening shadow rather than the full beard he had just days earlier. Bhani is hurt and refuses the engagement, giving her fiancé an ultimatum to keep his saroop.

The plot then shifts back, as Gurmukh and Ida’s story re-emerges with Gurmukh displaying almost a disdain for being a Sikh. He just wants to fit in.

The film shows Bhani’s angst at seeing her fiancé fall from Sikhi saroop and Ida’s incomprehension of why Gurmukh is not proud of his Sikh heritage and form. Accordingly there are two climactic moments in the film. One, when Bhani gives her ultimatum and a second when Ida tells a confused Gurmukh that she can only be with him if he gives up his saroop and cuts his hair.

The VERDICT

While this film does not seemingly aim to be a cinematic wonder, in the limited world of Sikh cinema, it is a definite “must see.” Ish Amitoj Kaur, shows that she knows how to display the irony behind many of our cultural tendencies; sprinkling unfortunate realities throughout her work. At one point, she humorously depicts the contrariety of a clean-shaven Punjabi man calling himself a Sikh Sardar.

Though there is much room for critique, only one is worth mentioning. The film is centered on the importance of Sikhi saroop, but Bhani’s character has noticeably plucked eyebrows. This detracts from the film and almost undermines its theme. Regardless however, overall “Kambdi Kalaai” pounds into the minds of its audience that being a Sikh means more than professing that you are a good person – it also means keeping the Sikh form.

As an obviously Sikh-themed film, “Kambdi Kalaai” deserves a shot. Please see it.

For more information, visit the films’ website: http://www.nn-films.com

post-2951-1144443256.jpg

• 2 months later...

Sat Sri Akal Jagtar Veer Ji

I really appreciate your help in spreading the good word about the Movie. However, I must point out I am NOT from Washington DC. I am from NYC. I was also not able to come to the premier of the Movie in Southhall. And that contact number is not mine. I really don't know who contacted you. But I can be contacted at Parm2003@yahoo.com. My Tel # is 718-989-3889. Feel free to contact me and let me know how MUCH you enjoyed the movie.

Kambdi Kalaai in the UK

Paramjit Singh from Washington DC who stars in the film 'Kambdi Kalaai' has just contacted the Sikh Federation (UK) to confirm he will be in Southall tomorrow evening where there will be a premier of the film in the UK. Anyone wishing to attend the premiere can contact Paramjit Singh on 07842 554518.

On Sunday he will be at the Nagar Kirtan in Leicester. He is hoping to show his film after the Nagar Kirtan. The film has just been released in the USA this week. It will only be available through Gurdwaras and not in stores.

See the write up of the film on Panthic Weekly below.

The film is about the Sikh identity while living in the Sikh Diaspora and is in Panjabi/English and set in the USA.

Film Review : “Kambdi Kalaai”

Sunday 2nd of April 2006

Panthic Weekly Staff

San Jose, California - (KP) “Kambdi Kalaai,” was released this week in San Jose, California. The film explores the dualities, which rise from living in a western culture and trying to be true to ones convictions.

The STORY

Set in New York City, “Kambdi Kalaai” opens with the main character Gurmukh (played by Parmjit Singh) bringing home Ida (Caroline Treadwell) a Caucasian fellow student, with whom he has apparently fallen in love. She is fascinated by Sikhi and by Gurmukh’s dastar and beard, his saroop. The opening suggests that the film will center on Gurmukh and Ida – it does not.

A parallel plot unfolds at the engagement of Gurmukh’s younger sister, Bhani (Preet Cheema). As the festivities are in full swing, all are horrified when Bhani’s fiancé shows up with an evening shadow rather than the full beard he had just days earlier. Bhani is hurt and refuses the engagement, giving her fiancé an ultimatum to keep his saroop.

The plot then shifts back, as Gurmukh and Ida’s story re-emerges with Gurmukh displaying almost a disdain for being a Sikh. He just wants to fit in.

The film shows Bhani’s angst at seeing her fiancé fall from Sikhi saroop and Ida’s incomprehension of why Gurmukh is not proud of his Sikh heritage and form. Accordingly there are two climactic moments in the film. One, when Bhani gives her ultimatum and a second when Ida tells a confused Gurmukh that she can only be with him if he gives up his saroop and cuts his hair.

The VERDICT

While this film does not seemingly aim to be a cinematic wonder, in the limited world of Sikh cinema, it is a definite “must see.” Ish Amitoj Kaur, shows that she knows how to display the irony behind many of our cultural tendencies; sprinkling unfortunate realities throughout her work. At one point, she humorously depicts the contrariety of a clean-shaven Punjabi man calling himself a Sikh Sardar.

Though there is much room for critique, only one is worth mentioning. The film is centered on the importance of Sikhi saroop, but Bhani’s character has noticeably plucked eyebrows. This detracts from the film and almost undermines its theme. Regardless however, overall “Kambdi Kalaai” pounds into the minds of its audience that being a Sikh means more than professing that you are a good person – it also means keeping the Sikh form.

As an obviously Sikh-themed film, “Kambdi Kalaai” deserves a shot. Please see it.

For more information, visit the films’ website: http://www.nn-films.com

• 3 months later...