Rehyt Maryada

hey i just was thinking in general term and dont want to start a debate....but its been bugging me for a while:

1) For those that follow the meat maryada do you always get a goat or chicken or w/e and jatka it? Im assuming jatka means to kill a animal with one blow

2) Isnt jatka sort of a religious slaughtering anyway? Like muslims do halal isnt this just a religious killing as well but on we do it the sikh way?

3) On a more spiritual note....do the pro-meat eaters know of any singhs today that have passed the trikuti and still eat meat? (just out of interest)

If these have questions have been answered plz forgive me, i dont mean to start a debate but just interested as to how the pro meat-eaters practice this maryada.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think the whole point of jatka (or chatka.. as it is otherwise known) is to kill the animal with one swift blow so it don't feel no pain... halal is killing the animal slowly, letting it suffer, while doing prayers... the animal goes through the most pain this way ...

i don't eat meat, nor support it, but i THINK thats the whole purpose behind jatka (chatka).... randip singh, please correct me if i'm wrong..

There is no need for anyones support singh ji

Only support we need guru granth sahib ji

Follow guru granth and guru panth maryada

I went to India a couple of weeks ago and even killing mosquitoes seemed wrong. I thought to my self I have not come all this way from England to kill things.

Just me……

Have you thought of adopting Jainsim....they have this attitude? grin.gif

i dont know about jainsim cos i'm a sikh.

my thought is why kill any thing, has not god given them life, what right have i to take this away, and to eat their flesh cos it tastes nice just revolts me...

This is just my view but i try to follow the rehat maryada set out by Guru Gobind Singh Ji and carried through the Damdami Taksal...

The Damdami Taksal is a Sikh university, which was founded by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji to impart knowledge of Gurmat onto Sikhs and it has had an unbroken lineage of Jathedars who have led the Taksal throughout Sikh history. The purpose of the Taksal is to educate Sikhs, to teach them the correct pronounciations of Gurbani, to do Katha and Kirtan. This is done by getting students to undergo rigorous studies, meditations and seva.

I'm sure you must have heard of Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji... He was the first Jathedar of the Taksal.

I think the rehat at such a chardi kala place where so much bani and seva is done and is led by a Jathedar who imparts the gian he gained from the prevoius Jathedar to the next Jathedar is most likely to follow the rehat maryada of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's times.

Think about it, for example, if i wanted to know what your great grandfathers rehat was like, it'd make more sense asking you and not the local gurdwara that he used to go to (committe's probably changed about 10 times since then). Especially if you great grandfather taught it to your father who taught it to you. See what i mean?

See the website for for info and the rehat maryada.

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/

pray.gif Please forgive me if i have offended anyone with this post...

This is just my view but i try to follow the rehat maryada set out by Guru Gobind Singh Ji and carried through the Damdami Taksal...

The Damdami Taksal is a Sikh university, which was founded by Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji to impart knowledge of Gurmat onto Sikhs and it has had an unbroken lineage of Jathedars who have led the Taksal throughout Sikh history. The purpose of the Taksal is to educate Sikhs, to teach them the correct pronounciations of Gurbani, to do Katha and Kirtan. This is done by getting students to undergo rigorous studies, meditations and seva.

I'm sure you must have heard of Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji... He was the first Jathedar of the Taksal.

I think the rehat at such a chardi kala place where so much bani and seva is done and is led by a Jathedar who imparts the gian he gained from the prevoius Jathedar to the next Jathedar is most likely to follow the rehat maryada of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji's times.

Think about it, for example, if i wanted to know what your great grandfathers rehat was like, it'd make more sense asking you and not the local gurdwara that he used to go to (committe's probably changed about 10 times since then). Especially if you great grandfather taught it to your father who taught it to you. See what i mean?

See the website for for info and the rehat maryada.

http://www.damdamitaksal.com/

pray.gif Please forgive me if i have offended anyone with this post...

1- Although the view of Damdami Taksals' on this issue seems to make sense, it is controversial if there really is a straight lineage of the Taksal to Guru ji. It is questionable.. and many scholars are now questioning it.

2- Even if it was founded by Guru ji, it is irrelevant..it should still not be accepted blindly. Check ti's maryada, it prohibits the Sikh from killing a Brahman... (sounds a bit hindu influence to me..... :lol: )

3- Don't blindly accept what anyone has to say. Question Sikh texts (except Mahraj, bani, Bhai Gurdas Ji etc)., customs, practises, norms (synonyms?), organisations, misals, jathebandis, sampardas (synonyms?)... your head of until you're satisfied... just because they have a lineage (which even can be questioned!) doesn't mean you should blindly accept what they say.

Bhull Chukk Maaf

I went to India a couple of weeks ago and even killing mosquitoes seemed wrong. I thought to my self I have not come all this way from England to kill things.

Just me……

my thought is why kill any thing, has not god given them life, what right have i to take this away, and to eat their flesh cos it tastes nice just revolts me...

Didn't god give BOTH plants and wildlife life? There really is no difference between plants and life, just because plants don't have ears and eyes doesnt mean they have feelings and a soul. Idon't understand why ppl don't see this...

lion child quoted: Didn't god give BOTH plants and wildlife life? There really is no difference between plants and life, just because plants don't have ears and eyes doesnt mean they have feelings and a soul. Idon't understand why ppl don't see this...

Fateh veer ji

just wanna ask a simple question, you know you said that plants and so on have souls and feelings but we eat plant. I f i am wrong please correct me, i don't wanna start a debate nor nothing but i am just curious. Does this mean that you dn't eat anything which comes from plants eg potatos etc.

Bhul chuk maaf

harsharon

p.s thankyou for all the pms that i have recieved regarding this thread it has meant alot to me . :TH:

Just me……

Unless you are thinking of eating mosquitoes, that is not what I am saying. Jains have the attitude that you cannot even hurt an Ant. That is the attitude of Ahimsa, and has no place in the Sant-Siphahi philosophy in Sikhs.

One could rightfully argue, what right have you to take any life. For your bowl of cornflakes how much natural habitat is destroyed? How much pesticide is used to kill insects? The plow tears up the ground and kill gorund living insects.

Guruji compasion was infiite and extended to all living creatures even plants:

Page 143 of the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

mehlaa 1.

First Mehl:

vaykh je mithaa kati-aa kat kut baDhaa paa-ay.

Look, and see how the sugar-cane is cut down. After cutting away its branches, its feet are bound together into bundles,

khundhaa andar rakh kai dayn so mal sajaa-ay.

and then, it is placed between the wooden rollers and crushed.

ras kas tatar paa-ee-ai tapai tai villaa-ay.

What punishment is inflicted upon it! Its juice is extracted and placed in the cauldron; as it is heated, it groans and cries out.

bhee so fog samaalee-ai dichai ag jaalaa-ay.

And then, the crushed cane is collected and burnt in the fire below.

naanak mithai patree-ai vaykhhu lokaa aa-ay. ||2||

Nanak: come, people, and see how the sweet sugar-cane is treated! ||2||

One thing Guru ji was not, was hypocritical in assuming one path was better than another.

Meat eater or Vegetarian....I say go Organic.

i think the whole point of jatka (or chatka.. as it is otherwise known) is to kill the animal with one swift blow so it don't feel no pain... halal is killing the animal slowly, letting it suffer, while doing prayers... the animal goes through the most pain this way ...

i don't eat meat, nor support it, but i THINK thats the whole purpose behind jatka (chatka).... randip singh, please correct me if i'm wrong..

Yes you are correct. One blow. In the modern context one blow I suppose whould be a bolt with an electric gun or whatever other device they use.