Gurbani

Guest >|<

i wanted to ask why are there soo many hindu godesses in gurbani....pandits...... vedas...Indra...Brahma...shiva...

i mean to say nothing bad about it ...but its just bit confusing cuz it seems to be like theres a connection between sikhi and hinduism :@ @ ?...sorry if ive seaid something wrong....

bhul chuk maaf!

i wanted to ask why are there soo many hindu godesses in gurbani....pandits...... vedas...Indra...Brahma...shiva...

i mean to say nothing bad about it ...but its just bit confusing cuz it seems to be like theres a connection between sikhi and hinduism :@ @ ?...sorry if ive seaid something wrong....

bhul chuk maaf!

i believe that those names are used because god is one and all paths lead to god, it just shows that sikhi is not the only way to god. No, there is no connection - sikhi is not from hinduism.

Guru Ji has always said that people like Shiva/Vishnu etc have made mistakes like humans and suffered frm. Even THEY have gone through reincarnation as a result and get punished for what they did.

Guru Gobind Singh Ji in Akal Ustat (i think) mentioned how God made different beings, like rishis and deities to spread His name into the world. However, these deities spread their OWN name instead and said "worship me" rather than worship akal Purakh..

Guru Ji himself said "if you worship me like God, you shall go to hell! I am only a servant of the Lord."

God is refered to by many names. Koi Bolle Raam Raam Koi Allah - Some say Raam some say Allah.. All the same for Waheguru Ji. Many Bhatts/Bhagats/Sheikhs have contributed to the Shabad Guru; And so they would refer to their Allah or their Raam.

Just like I call my Mother "mum", you may call her "aunty ji".. but shes the same person. Same principle here.

Vedas and Puranas etc are usually reffered to, to show that despite reading so many holy books, without Naam you don't get anywhere. I kindly request you to read and understand Baani instead of picking out words and making assumptions. Otherwise, please show a quote From Guru Ji that you are not sure about.

Hope I answered your question Ji, Bhul Chuk Maaf.

bhul chuk maaf!

If one understands the fact that the Gurus were speaking to people who were familiar with only Islamic and Hindu practices, it makes sense that they would base the metaphors and images of their teachings on ideas that already existed in the local mindset of the people to whom they were trying to communicate with.

There are mentions of God as Allah in Gurbani as well in an attempt to display the Nanakian philosophy that God has no name that us humans could give Him, and names are merely for our own convenience.

What matters is the message behind it. Sikkhism isn't about marginalisation (although it's easy to believe seeing the way some Sikkhs seem to behave... :@ ) but about trying to express the truth. The truth remains the truth no matter which way one chooses to express it. Gurbani expresses it in a plethora of ways using a number of metaphors and images that contribute to the immense grandeur of its poetry.

Great stuff. :)

This is a common misconception amongst people who hear hindu names mentioned in gurbaani yet do not listen or do vichaar on the shabad. If you read, listan, do vichaar, you will see that gurbaani says that all the hindu Gods are actually not above God but like humans are under God's command. Hindu Gods are not the way to salvation, spiritual wisdom is which is only found through the perfect satguru, shabad guru.

PLease when you hear these names of hindu Gods, sit down, read the shabad, read the translation. Your questions will be answered. IN thsi day and age the Sri Guru Granth Sahib is on-line with translation so make the effort to read it.

peace.

cwry vyd bRhmy kau dIey piV piV kry vIcwrI ] (423-5, Awsw, mÚ 3)

chaaray vayd barahmay ka-o dee-ay parh parh karay veechaaree.

You gave the four Vedas to Brahma, for him to read and read continually, and reflect upon.

qw kw hukmu n bUJY bpuVw nrik surig AvqwrI ]6] (423-5, Awsw, mÚ 3)

taa kaa hukam na boojhai bapurhaa narak surag avtaaree. ||6||

The wretched one does not understand His Command, and is reincarnated into heaven and hell. ||6||

jugh jugh ky rwjy kIey gwvih kir AvqwrI ] (423-6, Awsw, mÚ 3)

jugah jugah kay raajay kee-ay gaavahi kar avtaaree.

In each and every age, He creates the kings, who are sung of as His Incarnations.

iqn BI AMqu n pwieAw qw kw ikAw kir AwiK vIcwrI ]7] (423-6, Awsw, mÚ 3)

tin bhee ant na paa-i-aa taa kaa ki-aa kar aakh veechaaree. ||7||

Even they have not found His limits; what can I speak of and contemplate? ||7||

qUM scw qyrw kIAw sBu swcw dyih q swcu vKwxI ] (423-7, Awsw, mÚ 3)

tooN sachaa tayraa kee-aa sabh saachaa deh ta saach vakhaanee.

You are True, and all that You do is True. If You bless me with the Truth, I will speak on it.

jw kau scu buJwvih Apxw shjy nwim smwxI ]8]1]23] (423-8, Awsw, mÚ 3)

jaa ka-o sach bujhaaveh apnaa sehjay naam samaanee. ||8||1||23||

One whom You inspire to understand the Truth, is easily absorbed into the Naam. ||8||1||23||

AMsw Aauqwru aupwieEnu Bwau dUjw kIAw ] (516-14, gUjrI kI vwr, mÚ 3)

ansaa a-utaar upaa-i-on bhaa-o doojaa kee-aa.

From a single particle of His greatness, He created His incarnations, but they indulged in the love of duality.

ijau rwjy rwju kmwvdy duK suK iBVIAw ] (516-15, gUjrI kI vwr, mÚ 3)

ji-o raajay raaj kamaavday dukh sukh bhirhee-aa.

They ruled like kings, and fought for pleasure and pain.

eIsru bRhmw syvdy AMqu iqn@I n lhIAw ] (516-15, gUjrI kI vwr, mÚ 3)

eesar barahmaa sayvday ant tinHee na lahee-aa.

Those who serve Shiva and Brahma do not find the limits of the Lord.

inrBau inrMkwru AlKu hY gurmuiK pRgtIAw ] (516-16, gUjrI kI vwr, mÚ 3)

nirbha-o nirankaar alakh hai gurmukh pargatee-aa.

The Fearless, Formless Lord is unseen and invisible; He is revealed only to the Gurmukh.

iqQY sogu ivjogu n ivAwpeI AsiQru jig QIAw ]19] (516-16, gUjrI kI vwr, mÚ 3)

tithai sog vijog na vi-aapa-ee asthir jag thee-aa. ||19||

There, one does not suffer sorrow or separation; he becomes stable and immortal in the world. ||19||