Distributing To Sangat

Okay, because of some recent successes, I would like to take a big tin of sweets to the Gurdwara to give to the sangat.

BUT I have no idea of how to do this.

Normally when I give milk/dahl/etc I just put it in the tray/box next to the golak.

This time, I would like to distribute the sweets to the sangat.

Do I see the Guru first, offer the sweets, and then take them down to the langar hall and give them out alongside the langar?

Or do I just go straight to the langar hall and give them out?

And should I recite any Bani beforehand?

These are things my parents never taught me, and I haven't a clue what to do.

Any help appreciated :TH:

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

I see the Guru first then outside the door in between the Langar and Darbar is the best place to hand out. Only people who want some will take some.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Just do whatever you think is right... there is no "order" to do things, because its between you and your guru.

You can do a quick ardaas, thank Guru, give sweets or

thank guru, do ardaas, and give sweets or

give sweets, thank guru and do ardaas or

do ardaas, give sweets, and thank guru

you see my point :@

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

Wicked Warrior,

It is a nice sewa, as Khalsa4eva has said do what you think is appropriate, there are no fixed rules.

Kids will love the sweets, children are pure and innocent, if they are happy when you offer them sweets then who knows what good thoughts will wash away your sins and paap (not that I am saying you do a lot of paap mind, but I think we all do it and we could all benifit from our paap being washed away.).

Do not get hung up about what you should do or what order it needs to be done. If you think taking the sweets into darbar sahib and place infront of Guru Ji and then take them to the langar hall, then that is fine.

I totally understand your apprehension about doing sewa and getting told of for not doing something correctly. What i would say is do not worry about this, just do the sewa and if some insensitive person does tell you off, just accept is humbly.

In the house of Guru Nanak be humble, is someone admonishes you then accept it with folded hands, this brings nimarta to the mind and is very good for you, even if the telling off is incorrect.

One must not stop sewa in the fear of getting told off, rather do sewa and get told off then not do any sewa at all.

Just to expand a little on doing sewa.

One only learns how to do sewa if one does sewa. For instance in Gurdwaras where there are tables/chairs, then when you bartaa say some daal, one should not put the bowl of daal on the table , of if you are giving out some water then one shouldn’t put the jug on the table at any point, because this is where everyone is eating and suchum must be kept. Nobody tells you this, you only learn this when the jug is a little too heavy and you put it on the table to get a better grip, that is when you collared by “Uncle Ji” who in a very loud voice will shout that you must not do this. You never do it again.

Sewadhaars can be insensitive, we are all learners and we all make mistakes. A quite word in your ear is sufficient to let you know when you have done something against maryadha. But some people take great delight in telling people off. No point in arguing with them because you are opposing there hunkaar with your own hunkaar and krodh.

When you are doing sewa the type of ‘phall’ you get is directly related with the types of thoughts you have while doing the sewa. If you do sewa with a specific ‘mang’ in mind then this may be fulfilled but the reward is limited, one should try to do sewa with a free mind and with japing “waheguru waheguru” inside, and always mindful that the sewa is only being done with the grace of Guru Ji and one should not show favouritism to anyone or ignore someone because you don’t like them or your family does not speak with them, one must try to treat all the same .

vahegurujikakhalsavahegurujikifateh

congrats on your sucess wicked warrior paajeeeee.

please ensure the sweets you distribute do not contain egg or gelitine.

how about instead, geting permition from yuor local gurdwara sahib and distributing drinks to the public outside your gurdwara this friday or this weekend to commemorate the 400th shaheed of our great sache paatshah Dhan Dhan Dhan Dhan Sri Guru Arjan Sahib Ji Maharaj who started the astounding sikh tradition of martyrdom.

just a suggestion.

vahegurujikakhalsavahegurujikifateh