Wedding Plans, Dastaar And Other Things

Guest Advice

Guest Advice

OK.

So it's come to the point where there will be the first meeting between my parents and her parents.

Her and myself have know each other for a while and we are both keen on getting into SIkhi properly and both have the same views in life and espicially on Sikhi.

I told my mom and dad a few weeks ago that I wear a dastaar...

They were OK with it but wanted me to NOT wear a dastaar when the parents first meet. They think it may look like I HAVE TO wear a dastaar otherwise her family won't accept me.

That isnt the case and she has been engaged to haircuts before.

The point is that her mom has seen me without a dastaar and with a dastaar and her brothers know I wear a dastaar too.

I don't know what to do.

I'm going to tell my folks I am going to compromise with a patka...

But some advice would be useful

I wouldn't compromise with a patka... I guess in the end it's still going to be your choice, and I'm totally un-educated in these matters, seeing as I'm not getting married anytime soon. But still we are supposed to wear a dastaar... we do have to wear it. Don't compromise your religion for this; I'm sure Guru Ji will help you find a way if you stay true to him. Just my view, hope everything works out for you however you decide to do it.

OK.

So it's come to the point where there will be the first meeting between my parents and her parents.

Her and myself have know each other for a while and we are both keen on getting into SIkhi properly and both have the same views in life and espicially on Sikhi.

I told my mom and dad a few weeks ago that I wear a dastaar...

They were OK with it but wanted me to NOT wear a dastaar when the parents first meet. They think it may look like I HAVE TO wear a dastaar otherwise her family won't accept me.

That isnt the case and she has been engaged to haircuts before.

The point is that her mom has seen me without a dastaar and with a dastaar and her brothers know I wear a dastaar too.

I don't know what to do.

I'm going to tell my folks I am going to compromise with a patka...

But some advice would be useful

Vahegurujeekakhalsa

Vahegurujeekeefateh jee

Veerjee i agree with Bhajanpreet Veerjee; I know sometimes we come into situations where our family wants one thing yet we want another. Yet, have you asked your parents face to face, "mom, dad can i wear a dastaar when they meet? It would mean a lot to me". Try to explain to them nicely WHY you would want to wear a dastaar. If worst comes to worst and they absolutly say no, than leave it up to Guru Sahib. That is the ultimate answer to everything. We have to learn to walk in his will. In the end if you have to wear a patkaa, walk in their with a smile on you face becuase that is his hukham. :|

Keep smiling, and let Guru Sahib guide you. Also, take hukhamnmaa.

Vahegurujeekakhalsa

Vahegurujeekeefateh jee

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

wear what u want jio! i dont really know ur situation, but it should be ur choice. show ur soon to be in-laws how u will be after you get married. show ur true self...not some fake stuff.

look at your circumstances and do what you think truely represents you.

bhul chukmuaf karni

waheguru ji kakhalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

Guest Guest

patke are for kids...if you even have a single hair on your chin, you should start wearing a dastaar. A dastaar holds much more honor. Don't wear a patka if your about to get married. please.

patke are for kids...if you even have a single hair on your chin, you should start wearing a dastaar. A dastaar holds much more honor. Don't wear a patka if your about to get married. please.

Personally, I say wear a dhumalla... always. No kid stuff, ever.

If you want to take ur dastar off, then also remember to never put it back on.

Whoa, what?

I know this guy that cut his hair, and within 24 hours he regretted it so much, you're saying he could never become a Sikh again? Well, he did.

You shouldn't take it off, I agree with that, but saying that if you make a mistake and you can't ever correct it is wrong.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

BE YOURSELF.

Don't pretend to be something that you are not. If you are a gursikh, then act like one. If you arn't, don't pretend to be. No one is going to say "wow, he's clean shaven but look at that pugh" and decide that you're fine. Stand up for what you believe, and don't do things to "please others", because it will backfire.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!