dsingh

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

It is in Washington state.

The paalki is grand and luxurious.

You dont even have to have a Paallki you just have to have a Maanji Sahib {platform}

is that Gurudwara Sahib in Sanj jose?

1 - A Giani who is able to speak english (or translator ) who sits beside the Giani and translates what is being said.

2 - Encourage youth participation in events.

3 - Have Sikhi months (one weeeknd a month) where all Sikhs get together and have group activites.

4 - Encourage Sikh parchaar outside of the Gurdwara to people of other faiths!

5 - STOP all corruption in the committees

for your 1] The sikhitothemax projection of Gurbani and the kirtan is really helpful.

At one Gurdwara they have it on the whole time Hukamnama and kirtan, and at another they only have it on from 11-12 or like 12:30-1:30 for just the kirtan.

for your 2] I know a whole bunch of kids want to learn Gaatka but nobody volunteers to teach the kids who knows Gaatka. But some kids are poor sports and dont want to learn the etiquette or the pentra before learning how to spar, and they throw a fit and leave but thats why we teach how you should act first before even being able to see the shastar.

for your 3] they sometimes do this. I go to like 5 Gurdwaras so theres always something going on.

for your 4] most people are scared to go because how people stare. I know Im a Sikh and they stare at me.Im a Khalsa so nothing could scare me but its almost uncomfortable alot but I just think of Guru and just let people speak about me in Punjabi. You can tell when they are talking $#*! because theyll be talkin english and then for some strange reason switch to punjabi, which I see mexicans do this all the time, but my wife is mexican so I know what they are saying. They feel stupid when I repeat in spanish what they said and comment asking why they hide their backbiting with spanish, they switch back to english and say they didnt say nothing bad, and I repeat what they said and then they just sit there quiet and in shock that they got caught.

So I think people at the Gurdwara should make people feel comfortable first before invites.

Not all people do this but there is alot.

for your 5] this is the best answer of all. :TH:

The Gurdwaras that I was describing here are around my area

Guest militant singh

:| relations between the gurdwara commitee in southall and the sikh youth are at a all time low as the commite and its chele are corrupt and hate the youth and look 4 opportunities 2 get them lokced up -- the commitee and the youth haters this goes 2 you --'''YOU A BUNCH OF NO GD 4 NUFFIN LOSERS'' end of god will deal with you when he sees fit wouldnt be surpsied if another youth gets nicked 2morw under another false accusation

So we had a children's program today, like I said (we have it the last friday of the month). It ended up being two kids who (sorry to say) weren't really prepared and me... The bhai sahib ended up doing keertan for about 45 minutes to an hour, so it started making me think. What should we do?? I thought the idea like I said before of having more children's programs to encourage them would be good (though they have to be more organized than today), but what else can we do? Anybody have a suggestion? It annoys me a bit, because I know kids could do it, but they're all out having fun; 5 or 6 kids walked in after ardaas was over... lame.

To get more youths into the Gurdwara I think the main thiing is we need is a friendly welcoming sangaat!

Cos most of my Sikh friends have been verbally attacked for doing something that is against that particular Gurdwara's procedures i.e before entering any room you gotta wash hands etc A Gurdwara in Southall, Havelock Street, bought my mum to tears cos they all just shouted at her for eating Prashad in the Langaar room they seemed more focused on others than listerning to Gurbani, and A women on my last visit there wacked me with a big spoon and chucked a glass on the side, which landed in my Dhaal :|, I think she was having a bad day! But its my local Gurdwara at Uni...I gotta bare the mad sangaat there :/

And my female friends say they are not comfortable with old men staring at them...cos the tend to hang at enterances or in the Langaar room gossiping! I once went Gurdwara with my sister and all the bibya started telling my mum that her daughter was hanging with "a boyfriend" etc...My Sister ended up getting Shitaar cos My mum didnt beleive her that it was me...she dont go much anymore!

So I think if a Gurdwara provides a welcoming atmosphere, which is contributed to by the sangaat, then youths like my friends will feel more comfortable going!

Also all my Uni mates love doing Simran...but we feel more comfortable doing it away from the Gurdwara, cos our local Gurdwara doesnt really have programmes of these sort, except for once a month for kids who play instruments.

Oh and Bani translated to English is a good thing! I would have gone most life without having a clue what was being said, I speak Fluent punjabi but Gurmukhi I never understood, by reading in English I am now starting to slowly pick up Gurmukhi, every Gurdwara should introduce these projectors...

and those that say parents should teach kids Gurmukhi...I come from a traditional punjabi background and most of my elders in the family struggle to understand Gurmukhi or as I have found out recently dont fully understand the meaning...So how are parents gonna teach if they dont even know. I think most people on the forum come from the above average religious family...but alot of people I know are in the same boat as me.

Sorry if I offended...and the sorry about the rambling I love going Gurdwara but the sangaat does really put you off A white friend of mine once went with me and a women said "did you just come for the food?". I've had bad experiences!

Okey Rant over!

I'd definatley learn a lot more if they had SikhiToTheMax projection set up and i reckon a lot more youth would go attend Gurdwara...

And secondly, some katha would be excellent. That is a rarity at our Gurdwara... My punjabi isnt the best but i do understand most of katha when it is done and it is easier to understand Gurbani when explained like how they do.

So normally end up going and listening to kirtan which often dont understand, listen to hukamnama, which dont really understand. I understand bits and i still go to see Guru Ji. I know learning better punjabi is up to me but Gurdwara's should do there bit too.

So we had a children's program today, like I said (we have it the last friday of the month). It ended up being two kids who (sorry to say) weren't really prepared and me... The bhai sahib ended up doing keertan for about 45 minutes to an hour, so it started making me think. What should we do?? I thought the idea like I said before of having more children's programs to encourage them would be good (though they have to be more organized than today), but what else can we do? Anybody have a suggestion? It annoys me a bit, because I know kids could do it, but they're all out having fun; 5 or 6 kids walked in after ardaas was over... lame.

The ones in Birmingham seem to acheive it very well. South Birmingham Gurdwara is ram packed with kids, and Mary St one too. They have kirtan classes and youth participate like you wouldn't believe. Work with other Gurdwaras rather than agianst!

1 - A women on my last visit there wacked me with a big spoon and chucked a glass on the side, which landed - in my Dhaal

2 - I once went Gurdwara with my sister and all the bibya started telling my mum that her daughter was - hanging with "a boyfriend" etc...My Sister ended up getting Shitaar cos My mum didnt beleive her that it was me...she dont go much anymore!

3 - Sorry if I offended...and the sorry about the rambling I love going Gurdwara but the sangaat does really put you off

4 - A white friend of mine once went with me and a women said "did you just come for the food?". I've had bad experiences!

Sorry to hear of the bad experinces you've had veerji!

1 - WHy did she whack you exactly? Did you not address her in a polite manner? You should have done, and if she got all mouthy you retaliate.

2 - 99% of these 'bibyian' are bandarian - (If i've offended anyone prove me wrong??) Thye got there to gossip/slander others/back bite etc etc They are the worst kind and Guru ji calls such people Keera!!

3 - Don't apologise the youth are the future, and if the <banned word filter activated> budhe can't respect those that are younger than them, then they deserve nothing but disrespect in return :TH:

4 - That chap is more of a Sikh than that cretin who made that comment! -Tell your friend not all Sikhs are as ignorant and foolish as that creature!

Final point, remain in Chardi Kala at all times the Gurdwara belongs to the Guru and not overweight illiterate cretins that seem to be using them as their own residence!

Gur Fateh pray.gif

That leads us back to my earlier comment that the committee members need to sort themselves out rather than picking on the youth.

I think the term 'sikhi begins @ home' is quite good. Think about it, if our parents all sat us down when they do path, let us take amrit when ready and encouraged us to live the sikh way we won't have any problems with youth not going to gurdwaras because they don't understand whats going on.

Also i keep reading about 'youth getting arrested by committees' please add past experiances that you know of.