Still ppls remember sikh bravery

S1ngh

Many years ago when I was in college we used to have a lecturer a Mr Cuthbert. One day in a class session the topic of religion and culture came up. On of the white girls in our class said she loved Sikh weddings, she had been to some, loved the drinking, dancing etc. I joined in saying how we do the best parties. Our lecturer was a little red faced, He pointed out that it was more of a Punjabi cultural venue than any thing to do with the Sikh faith. He continued to speak about the Gurus and the Khalsa. After class I stayed behind and spoke to, asking how he knew so much. Mr Cuthbert was a world war two vet. He explained how he had spent time with Sikh soldiers in Europe during the Second World War. How he had become friends with them and seen them killed by his side. To sum it up he said, “If it wasn’t for those men, dear boy I wouldn’t be here today” with that his eyes welled up.

from sikhnet discussion forum

Sat Sri Akal:

Ah yes...in my first years in the U.S., my family had an interesting experience. I went to a department store with the family and an elderly Caucasian gentleman shouted out "Pagri!'. A little startled, he explained that he recognized my father's turban from afar. He was a soldier in WWII and had a chance to serve with the Sikhs. Nothing but praises.

Goes to show, if you wear a turban, you represent something. Don't betray that reputation because you will tarnish the reuptation of not yourself, but also the reputation of the Sikhs built by blood and sacrifice.

well same goes here in malaysia.. singhs with turban are respected better then those who doesnt.. my father who started keeping his hair 2years ago himself agree that he gets much more respect then he use to get last time because of this outlook... and singhs are regarded as LIONS by most of the people. .. ive got this old chinese man neighbour who will endlessly tell me stories as how one sikh guy helped him during the communist era (sikhs were mostly brits soldiers that time) .. feel proud everytime he narrate that story :)

Amardeep_singh Posted on Nov 20 2003, 09:03 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He said to my dad that he still eats chapatis

and since u r the best cook @ sikhsangat i m sure u gonna help him out tongue.gif