Jatha N Caste

_(JI)_

There is nothing wrong in belonging to a Jatha or going to a certain Jatha's kirtans. Jathas have been around since Guru Sahib's times so this is nothing new. The way I see it is that if going to a certain Jatha or being part of a certain Jatha gets you closer to Guru Sahib then that is great. Do whatever it takes to get closer to Guru Sahib. As far as having different maryadas is concerned I think that the reason they exist is because for whatever reason not everyone agrees with the SPGC version. I do give the Akhal Thakat full respect for also allowing other Panthic Marayadas for being equal to the SPGC version. Be it Taksaali, AKJ, or whatever these and other Maryadas are accepted as being equal to the SPGC one. So I think when some people say that the SPGC version is the only true Maryada and everyone else is wrong, that is not a fair assessment. I would say that any Marayada accepted by the the Akal Takhat be it Taksaali or AKJ or whatever it should be honored. If you don't agree with these other valid maryadas then that is your issue. If you don't agree with certain Jathas then that is fine, not everyone agrees with them, but that doesn't mean that the concept of Jathas is bad.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong in belonging to a Jatha or going to a certain Jatha's kirtans. Jathas have been around since Guru Sahib's times so this is nothing new. The way I see it is that if going to a certain Jatha or being part of a certain Jatha gets you closer to Guru Sahib then that is great. Do whatever it takes to get closer to Guru Sahib. As far as having different maryadas is concerned I think that the reason they exist is because for whatever reason not everyone agrees with the SPGC version. I do give the Akhal Thakat full respect for also allowing other Panthic Marayadas for being equal to the SPGC version. Be it Taksaali, AKJ, or whatever these and other Maryadas are accepted as being equal to the SPGC one. So I think when some people say that the SPGC version is the only true Maryada and everyone else is wrong, that is not a fair assessment. I would say that any Marayada accepted by the the Akal Takhat be it Taksaali or AKJ or whatever it should be honored. If you don't agree with these other valid maryadas then that is your issue. If you don't agree with certain Jathas then that is fine, not everyone agrees with them, but that doesn't mean that the concept of Jathas is bad.

Amen brother

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh.

i am a jatt but i dont beleve in castes, that what sikhi is about everyone ,men and women being all equal. and dident Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji say that there are no castes, and the Punch Parryar was about, they were all from different castes, and "EIK ONKAAR" meanin God is one.

waheguru ji ka khalsa

waheguru ji ki fateh.

Don't you think Jatha is becoming like Caste and Dividing Sikhi?

im afriad your right.....whether any1 wants to admint it or not.........belonging to any jatha leads to many sikhs having clouded, onsided views on a lot of aspects within sikhi!

we tend to look at the jatha or group that the sikh belongs to 1st rather than just seeing them as a brother or sister.

its a shame....coz i think we all doit one way or another......maybe theres somethin we can all learn from this thread.

fateh

wot u gotta be careful of, is those guys who go around telling ppl to go pesh becoz they havent taken amrit from a certain "jatha". those people people know who they are, and im not telling lies or just saying this to start "jatha-bashing" etc but im speaking from personal experiances. im not naming any people or jathe. its messed up. RSS crap, brahminism influencing sikhi. :@ @ wacko.gif

otherwise i think theres nothing wrong in following a particular jatha. as long as they lead u to guru granth sahib ji maharaj and bring u closer to sikhi, bani, kirtan, naam etc etc, like "akjforever" said in the previous post :D

Well I hav a mate and she was sayin how she wants to take amrit from specific jatha and not her local Gurdwara. I mean in some way people to stereotype, they dont get the message of Sharking Amrit from anywher doesnt matter. Its the same.

I wudnt blame the Jathe I'd blame the society. I mean the Jathe arent exactly saying come Shark Amrit from us, if u get what i mean. Its mainly society being brainwashed saying they want to take it from a certain specific jatha.