Sikhi & Chura?

Guest *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Guest *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My sister recently got married and her wedding was done all in the "traditonal" way, e.g. Gohn / Gidha(singing), Maiya, Chura, etc..etc...

I'm an amrit dhari sikh and I wanted to know whether are amrit dhari sikhs alowed to o ahead with all the tradition of the Chura (red bangles) ceremony?

Sorry this may sound a stupid thread but I wanted to remove away some confusions

Guest Guest

My sister recently got married and her wedding was done all in the "traditonal" way, e.g. Gohn / Gidha(singing), Maiya, Chura, etc..etc...

I'm an amrit dhari sikh and I wanted to know whether are amrit dhari sikhs alowed to o ahead with all the tradition of the Chura (red bangles) ceremony?

Sorry this may sound a stupid thread but I wanted to remove away some confusions

if your going to be amritdari then its obvious that your future husband is amritdari 2, so he'd xpect no jewelry/make up ..............

It's messed up in my opinion. You start with the churra and next thing you know, they've tied tiny coconut halves to your wrists. Honestly now, it's just silly. The few weddings I've seen where the girl wears a churra, it's a total pain and nuisance to her. She can't take it off till it breaks off (which can be many many many months) and it usually cuts her hand/arm up. Nasty stuff. Sensibly, it isn't very sensible. It's got nothing to do with Sikhi and I can't for the life of me picture a singhni wearing anything of the sort.

Guest Guest

In the olden days, the couple didnt go around SGGSJ like in a hindu ceremony. They just metha dekh at the end of each lavan. Very simple ceremony.

Personally I dont see why the bride and bridegroom should not "dress" up for the occasion. The reception party should be a low key affair with no alcohol.

Personally I would donate the money spent on the reception and tons of jewellery/clothes to the needy in punjab villages.

I dont see why you should spent a small fortune on people who are just going to gossip behind your backs. They will always have somthing nasty to say about this and that.

Gurfateh

well......i don't really think the bride should.....like that's my personal opinion.....and um i jus recently attended a amrit-dhaari wedding in july...the bride and groom were both amrit-dhaari.....and the bride...omg she looked beautiful....das cuz...she had no make-up on...yet her natural beauty simply looked wonderful....and she was wearin a orange salvaar suit....suit was plain....but the chunni was completely FULL of sparkly embroidery...and she wore two rings....and a small chain in her neck with a really pretty pendant in it....das all....and she looked like a real amrit-dhaari bride cuz her chunni was sssoooooo heavy....no need of a chura she looked wonderful the way she was....so like....u dun need so much make-up and chura well.....i dun tink it necessary...buh then again...up to ur sister....good luck wit da wedding! :TH: BHUL CHUK MUAF blush.gif

Gurfateh

waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh!!

the whole point of the chura is to weigh down the brides hands

this means she cant defend herself, or raise her hand to her husband

this is why it came abt in the first place

to DEMEAN women.

DO NOT wear a chura

its not just about the jewelery, its about the status of women

it comes from hindus and it is anti-gurmat.

bhul chuk maaf karo jee

waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh!!!