I Just Got A Job! ...but

Lionchild

:T:

Well i just got a job today, i nailed the interview and i got along well with the manager and supervisor in charge. It's not exactly the most ideal job - working in a A&W restaurant, however, any jbo is better than no job at all. Waht is even more exciting is that there are 3 other sikhs other than me on the workforce! And the supervisor is also sikh.

However, i was rather troubled by some of the questions and comments that where made by one of the supervisors. First off, we got a little into religion (it's actually illigal to mention that stuff in a job related interview), and then we got into the meat topic. I said yes to handling it, i'm ok with that.. she (Deep) looked a little puzzled. She also questioned me about my dastaar - as (get this) none of the other "sikhs" don't wear there dastars to work. i was also curious ot know why deep, didnt even have a kara on, or anything to show she was a sikh.

So i didnt show my concern, however, i was rather shakened up after the interview. and i ask these questions.

Why as proud sikhs, shy away from showing out true identity in thw workforce?

And why are sikhs discriminated and even looked down by other sikhs.

I suppose later on, as i get more familiar with the staff, and supervisor, i will bring it up -off the worksite of course. :e:

I'm getting into a full-time position (40+) eventually, at $9CDN, and i will wear my dastar to work as well as kirpan and kara. I'm not afraid of people looking at me, or hiding my true self... why sould i? why shoudl we?

-LC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Proud of you bro!! Stay humble, confident and hungry in learning. With that attitude, it won't be long before you own the restaurant. d_oh.gif

You may wish to forgive your supervisor for the time being, but be aware of your rights. It may not be the last time you have to deal with improper comments or questions at this work place. You can often get free advice or information in this regard from your state or federal employment agencies or from a local human rights organization.

lionchild i used to work @ a AnW in the UK wa most likily will happen is, you may be asked a few questions in the early stages of working there, but soon ur fellow work mates wont have any issues...it will all be chilling...the only thing i had to do was were a beard net...even that only happend on inspection days

Guest Bass Singh

VJKK VJKF

CONGRATULATIONS LION CHILDDD WOOHOOO!!

One other thing though, dnt mean 2 cause offence but are you willing to handle meat while wearing all Kakkars?

VJKK VJKF

P.S Again this post is for Lion child not for no1 2 answer on his behalf, and it is not an offensive question, i just wanted to see his view on it!

Guest PRITAM SINGH KHALSA

Cool!!!!! I wish I could start a thread saying that I found a job.

I wouldnt get into any religious debates etc with anyone at work. Dont get them all mad at you for making them look bad. I wouldnt bring up your questions ever. They already know they have no Sikh identity.

I would just work and learn Sikhi at your pace, dont try racing people with Sikhi.

You are fortunate to have found a stable job with a turban. Good job, I hope you can keep your employer happy {{ you know from you being annoying :) hahahahaha }}

So you will carry meat???????????????????????????????????

Cool!!!!! I wish I could start a thread saying that I found a job.

I wouldnt get into any religious debates etc with anyone at work. Dont get them all mad at you for making them look bad. I wouldnt bring up your questions ever. They already know they have no Sikh identity.

I would just work and learn Sikhi at your pace, dont try racing people with Sikhi.

You are fortunate to have found a stable job with a turban. Good job, I hope you can keep your employer happy {{ you know from you being annoying :umm: hahahahaha }}

So you will carry meat???????????????????????????????????

you will find a job PSK, it's only a matter of time. What is the job employment situation in your area BTW? Yes, i will carry/prepare meat.

Guest Bass Singh

VJKK VJKF

You wll carry meat??RISKKYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!

and u dnt feel uncomfortable at all?? Holding meat that is? id hate it man!

how can ya carry meat dude knowing its forbiden!

Its like yout encouraging it towards society really!

VJKK VJKF!