Walking Around Sri Guru Granth Sahib During Anand Karaj

Guest Narinder Singh

Guest Narinder Singh

I've heard that walking around Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji wasnt the original way Sikhs were married and that it became so because of Hindu influences.

What do you guys think?

Guest Narinder Singh

then how were sikhs married in those days? grin.gif

I heard the couple getting married simply sat in front of Guru Sahib and listened to the four lavan being recited, thats all, none of those weird rituals and pakand we see today.

This way actually makes more sense as its pretty difficult to concentrate on bani being recited when your having to walk around four times.

The whole pala thing and woman walking behind the man looks sort of strange when one compares it to real Sikh ideals. I dont know, maybe im wrong, its just a thought.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa

Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

I heard that Guru Nanak Dev ji was married and went around the Ik Oa(n)kaar...

dont know how though...

saw a pic and looked like there were flowers on shaped into an IkOAnkaar.

but you can never really trust pics can you :wub: grin.gif

and plus...

would Guru ji really allow the Ik Oa(n)kaar symbol be darwn on the floor??? :wub: @

I heard that Guru Nanak Dev ji was married and went around the Ik Oa(n)kaar...

dont know how though...

saw a pic and looked like there were flowers on shaped into an IkOAnkaar.

but you can never really trust pics can you :wub: grin.gif

and plus...

would Guru ji really allow the Ik Oa(n)kaar symbol be darwn on the floor??? :D @

i think the original ceramony was like all sikh ceramonies- simple and practical. I'm sure there is record of the event around here? :wub:

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

As daas has heard, Guru Nanak Dev Ji when getting married to Mata Sulakhani ji rejected the idea of walking around the Sacred Fire according to Hindu customs at the time (and at present to date.) Instead, he took for "Lavan" around the book in which he collected his Shabads which came from Dhur (Beginning- i.e. Akal, Waheguru) This was his marriage. And daas believes since Guru Nanak took only 4 lavan and not 7 and it involved walking around his book (or the Guru, but during Guru Nanak Dev ji's time since he was Guru he couldnt walk around himself so daas guesses he walked around Gurbani, symbolizing walking around Waheguru as Bani is Waheguru or part of Waheguru depends on how one looks at it.) Thus, sucessor Guru's followed this practice of 4 "Lavan" and walking around Shabad Guru or Guru.

Badha Khata Bhul Chak Maaf Karna jio

- daas

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

p.s: daas thinks its useless to think of these stuff (sorry to offend anyone) daas thinks its best we concentrate more on bani and simran which will get us somewhere in life rather then worrying about these questions. again, bhul chak maaf karna

*Wahe Gurooooo*

well as far as i know.......guru nanak dev ji took lavan around a paper on which it was written ek oangkar......n as far as lavan da paath s concern....it was ucharana by Guru Ram Daas Jee........

bhul chuk maaf jee