Punjabi

mugmax

An interesting subject indeed...

I will be looking foward to the day when my kids and millions of people around the world will be able to speak any language they want and still feel part of sikhi, and at the same time have the resources and scriptures in any language available. Sikhi is no longer just another eastern religion anymore. and as such, we must make available to other people the resources we have.

Only then, shall we see a larger trend of people being interested in sikhi.

So true man, very good point. :e:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me its def. English....

i can read and write Punjabi (better at readin though)

but.... :wub:

i cant speak/understand punjabi a lot of times...

im lucky if i do...thats if you speak slowly and/or things i hear all the time and stuff

people make fun of me and all

andddddd....

i have an Egnlish accent to my Punjabi

its really embarrassing :'(

but i try...i really do

^ Who cares, just like you said you are trying. Plus, your Canadian so of course you will have an accent. :TH:

my sis and bro dont have the accent :wub:

i dont know anyone but a 2 of my cousins who have the English accent to their Punjabi

Fateh

it's ok to have an english accent to your punjabi.....as long as you can speak punjabi it's all good....just speak more at home i guess i personally learned punjabi in india LOL so no accent haha.....buh yeah....both english and punjabi are a must...if you can't speak or read punjabi...then it'll be difficult to read gurbani from a gutka...yes there are ones written in english...but its easier in gurmukhi....that way you know exactly how to prounouce each word :TH: haha and khalsagirl panji that was sooo funny haha get used to understanding people who speak punjabi fast i know alot of em tongue.gif next time ye wan directions i givin da phone to my nana ji tongue.gif :wub: and like i said...punjabi at home..english at school and other places :wub: bhul chuk maaf

Gurfateh

think people are talking about two different things in this thread.

The oroginal post was:

is it easy to communicate in punjabi or in english." i think bit of both to be honest."

I personally took it as speaking to punjabi people, people from punjab, or with punjabi background. to punjabi people, learn your mother tongue.

Other people have taken this thread into a sikhi thread. I don'think this topic was about not translating gurbaani ito other languages or not supporting people learning other languages.

I think it was geared towards the abcd's, american born confused desis who don't know a lick of their mother tongue and have lost their virsa. I have yet to meet an arab who can't speak arabic, but I have met many punjabis who can't speak punjabi.

peace.

Punjabi all the way...even teaching goras punjabi at my work....lol....i dnt remember that song by Amribder Gil...it says "hello hello karde kite fateh bulani na bhuleyo"...so yeah 1st of all punjabi n then english where it is hard to manage without punjabi...n i feel like slapping those ppl in punjab especially girls from pinds dat used to come to study in Chandigarh n tried to speak english just to look mod...n man their english was pathetic..but they still thought they made out better in crowd wid english than our beautiful punjabi...

and in punjabi i luv punjabi accent of Canadians n Americans...it sounds so sweet...i just keep listening to my cousins when they speak punjabi...lol...

nah i duno do that. when i speak hindi. its hindi man. no punjabi in it. buh i still find it realy funny so i dont do it nemore blush.gif

when i speak hindi....its sounds more like tapori aka gunda log........lol....i go like

apun ko nahi malul....haahaha..