Mental Illness

Guest hk00

I don't know if this sort of topic is allowed, as it doesnt apply directly to sikhi, however im a sikh girl and for 2 years now i have had many problems.

I suffer from a mental illness, schizophrenia, im currently waiting for an appointment with a pyschiatrist. Im not making excuse for myself but the illness makes me very scared, nervous and socially withdrawn, im 19years old and today i went to a university induction but i couldnt stand it, i hated it, so i left. i dont know why but whenever im somewhere different, i feel scared and worried, i just feel the need to run back home and stay there, i really want to get a degree and become something but i dont think i ever will, i want to make my parents proud but i cant do it. I always hope that i will like somewhere and make lots of friends and enjoy life but i struggle so much, i cant even explain. I really want to have a good life like people my age do but i just cant cope.

There are always voices in my head telling me im not good enough or i should leave somewhere and i always listen and then hide, i want to believe i will get better and be happy but im unsure that i will. Im afraid ill not be liked or ill ahve no friends, i spent 2 years of my life in a college which was so terrible, i didnt do very well in my exams and had no freinds there. I dont get jealous but i always look at people, like my brother and wish i was like him because he is starting uni and he loves it and has lots of friends.

Due to my illness i hallucinate and imagine things, like that im better and happy and kind of live a second life in my head. I think i have a curse sometimes and sometimes i want to pray but i feel that God might not listen because im a bad person. I always say Waheguru before i go anywhere and listen to kirtan etc but i feel maybe i shouldnt because i dont know what god will think of me. I dont know what to do and i dont know if people will help, its hard to explain..so just wondered if anyone had any advice bcoz i have nobody to talk to.

Thank you

H

Im not too sure on what to advice to you as i have never known anyone with your type illness, but i can assure you this much that God is always listening to you. This isn't something that is negotiable or something that only pertains to certain individuals. Instead you are as much important to God as is any living Brahmgiani. He listens to your prayers just as attentively as any one else. Just pray, or meditate because that is what you want to do, because taht is what your heart wants you to do. Remain persistant in your listening to Kirtan, remain vigilant in you wanting to pray.

The mind is our assitant not our master, its something we use, not something we are. Have you considered doing Yoga, Simran, Meditation?? I suggest you consider them, perhaps they can be helpful in you dealing with your mind.

I suffer from a mental illness, schizophrenia, im currently waiting for an appointment with a pyschiatrist.

i wanted to know if psychiatrist diagnosed it or u just think you have that problem? or is it gonna be your first time going to a psych?

Thanks!

nice rply Pheena ji

bhul chuk muaff karni

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

bhenney,

don't under estimate your potential.

reading bani, increasing your faith in Guru Ji, and meditating will strengthen your soul - your inner core - and balance out the material and spiritual world.

make Guru Ji your entire world, or make your entire world your Guru Ji, which ever you choose, you'll soon realize your wound is healing.

make Guru Ji your friend, because that's all you need. literally.

face each day as a challenge. take each moment of your life, from the minute you get up to the second you fall asleep, and say, "With Guru Ji by my side, i can get through this". because without Him, we are nothing.

ardaas is probably the most powerful tool we have as sikhs to constantly beg Waheguroo - the only Truth, your only Friend - for His kirpa, His support, His love. do ardaas everyday from the depth of your heart, cry to Him, lay out your pain and hurt to Him in ardaas and He will protect you forever. hereafter.

sukhmani sahib has amazing healing powers. your mind, soul and heart will start healing. you feel this amazing calmness, this peace. something you may have forgotten exists in you.

the more we get attached to this world, the harder it becomes. read books on Mata Sahib Kaur, Mata Gujri Ji, Mata Sundri Ji. make them your friends. they will never leave you, or break your heart. listen to what our Guru Ji's have layed out for us and apply it to your life; even if it's the smallest thing. attach yourself to Waheguroo and no one else. but love everyone how you would love Waheguroo because He resides in everything.

saadh sangat - pavitar, pyaree saadh sangat - is the ultimate answer. i can't even start to explain the power of sangat. it's like when the glistening sun shines after a huge, dark storm. the rays shine on forever, and when you see the first speck of sunlight through the grey, thick cloud, you know deep, down inside that after each storm in our own lives, the sun will shine again and again.

i may make no sense. but, i can somewhat relate to your emptiness, you pain bhenney. and i live my life as if my Guru is walking right by me at all times. everything above has and continues to help me in the most amazing ways.

may Waheguroo bless you and protect you and help you realize that you are a strong, confident, beautiful soul. because you are.

please forgive me.

-p

bhainjee,

dun worry, dun ever think guru sahib will never listen to u, we human beings can think like tat...we often look at peoples avgun...but guru sahib doesnt

do a few chaupai sahib dey paath daily.....n ask for guru sahibs help

like pheena ji said remain persistent....keep on listening to gurbani

"tithay gharee-eh matt mann buddh"

Wow! talk about courage and insight! You may be dealing with an illness, but you are far ahead of many who are not diagnosed with anything. Keep in mind a few things. Very little is known about schizophrenia. When you go to a psychiatrist and if you get prescribed medication, it is often experimental in the sense that various medications, doses and side effects are often part of the trials before achieving a balance.

NOT ALL psychiastrists will be the same. UNDERSTAND that you want to find the absolute best and most respectful psychiatrist that treats high functioning people. Research for the most DYNAMIC psychiatrist. Family support and education are crucial in successful treatment. Ensure that those around you are educated with respect to what you are dealing with. Some people can have schizophrenia and lead very full and productive lives. Others go through tougher times before stabalizing.

There are many new medications on the market all the time, with less side effects and better results. Often it's not schizophrenia itself that is the most harmful thing, but the side effect of medications, the stigma and it's effect on one's self esteem, and the rigidity and stupidity of society to understand differences in people.

Get in touch with high functioning people who have schizophrenia. Seek out professionals in the rehab aspects of mentall illness. They are often far more progressive than psychiatrists. They could get you in touch with the right support group. You're the boss, see that the mental health industry supports you, but does not pigeon hole you.

Talking to other high functioning people with schizophrenia may inspire you and also may scare you, but you will also learn and get support from them. But PUSH YOURSELF TO STAY INVOLVED IN OTHER ACTIVITIES to the best of your abilities. Continue to post here and discuss with us.

I don't buy the emphasis on the science of the illness as laid out by the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry and also by a self serving and out of touch business of psychiatry. Often the biggest part of the illness ends up being the psychological aspect of your confidence and self-esteem and not the psychiatric aspect of brain functioning. Of course things differ from person to person and you also have to be wise as to being compliant with medication when it serves your best interest. It is wise to consult with a psychiatrist. But ensure that it is one who is willing to educate you and does not talk down to you or judge you.

Hang in there, BE STRONG!!, BE BRAVE!! BE BOLD!! Those are the people who manage the illness. Schizophrenia is an illness that you are dealing with. It is not a label or identity. DO NOT WITHDRAW or MINIMIZE WITHDRAWAL. Part of your treatment is staying involved. Many people have difficulty making friends and are content. Others make many 'friends' yet feel lonely. People will ignorantly treat you as a victim. Do not accept this. You have much to offer and contribute. Every person on this planet does.

Many of us go through life always thinking we know what we are living for. We think we are on track with the trappings that are promoted in our society and yet we miss the boat. You circumstance puts you in a place where you will much sooner realize that it is the simplest things in life that matter.