Mental Illness

HKS

Hello everyone.

I'm a sikh girl , i don't know if im allowed to write something like but i dont really know where else to go for help. I suffer from a mental illness, Schizophrenia, im currently waiting to see another psychiatrist for help and medicine. Im not making excuses for myself but i have lots of problems in my life and i feel its all down to my illness and soemtimes i feel i have been a bad person. Due to my illness, i hallucinate and can hear voices, i have delusions and basically live a very different life in my head to the one i actually live. if that makes sense, i get bad thoughts, i cant help myself beacuse i want to be a good sikh but i feel i shouldnt pray beacuse i have been a bad person and god can see that...and because im ill i dont know if i can always be true to god...so im really confused.

I have never been overly religious but in the past 2 year i have turned as my problems worsened i turned to god and listened to gurbani and went gurdwara and did ardas and i feel that helped but i always look at my kara and think how can i wear this, i have been a bad person and then i hallucinate and do and say stupid things...its wrong. I just wish i could have a normal life, because i want to go to univeristy and make my parents proud but i feel my illness will pull me down and make me feel the way it does. Sometimes, i become very isolated and distance my self because i get really scared that people are going to hurt me and attack me, physically and verbally. im just really nervous around people.

I want to enjoy life and im afraid i wont, i also dont know how sikhi views mental problems and how to deal with this and want to be a good sikh aswell.

Thanks for reading.

take care H

Satsriakal _/\_ Pen ji

I have a personal story of similar type & out of the experience of that I am telling you to keep up the faith in Guru Ji...Keep going to the Gurdwara saab...do loads of seva of sangat and naam jap... Guru Ji will listen to your prayers....

The subject of my personal story is a female and she is doing PHD currently and she also was awarded Gold Medal for topping the university in her masters despite of all the hardships of mental illness and heavy medicine.. You are lucky that you know the name of the ur disease and you are working towards its cure and by the blessing of Guru JI you will be healthy soon.

The subject of my story is not even aware up of the exact problem as she does not talk about it much with the people of the fear of getting exposed to society & rishtedar and lack of any good doctors around...in the start she just had a depression for some academic reason after the finish of her school but it became bad with passage of time but believe me its all her determination and will power along with GuruJi's kirpa that she has overcome 95% of the mental disese...she teaches in local colleges in India for around 8-9 months on adhoc basis and is self sufficient and infact also supports her old parents but some months of the year or some random time, she still faces difficulties...she is also blessed amrit and tries to follow a strict sikh life as much as possible...

-------------------------------

My chachi told me another story of one of our rishtedar in some pind in punjab

this lady had depression when her baby girl died...she was poor and moreover her husband was alcholic..he used to beat her for lack of money but from one fine day he left home & never returned ....she had another little kid to support..moreover no source of money...but with Guru Ji kirpa she had some uddam in her ....she did small jobs by washing pande and kapre of other people and supported herself with medicine and also raised her son...my chachi says that this lady always used to keep medicine in her one hand where ever she used to go...she never used to miss her medicine for wotever reasons...presently her son is around 20 years old nd works as electrician and she is also fit...

Please be motivated & build an iron will to get better as soon as possible. ... Waheguru will help ..he helps every1

There is also a very well known saying on the same

GOD HELP THOSE WHO HELP THEMSELVES !!

marfee for any gustakhi

Akal Sahai _/\_

WGJKK WGJKF

Bhenji I believe what you suffer is not in your will and that you did not ask for it so why are you blaming yourself? Why are you letting this come between you and what you really want to do. If it helps to listen to Gurbani then why not? God's words are for everyone no? We all do bad at times but that does not mean we should forget God and not ask for forgiveness. As long as you realize that you have done wrong, remember you then have a chance to ask for forgiveness from God. I think you should listen to as much Gurbani as your heart desire and don't worrie Waheguru will take care of everything.

Guest Dancing Warrior

When we suffer we seek the divine miracle cure, some go to holy men, some go to scriptures, some to pilgrimages, We listen to this listen to that, all the theories and all the wise words.

There is a miracle that I know of and I wish to share with you, its secret is far greater than the earth, the oceans, the greatest mountains, all the holy men all the scriptures. This miracle comes from when a single bubble is born grows, develops, intellect, intelligence, humanity……….what is this miracle? ……..The miracle is You,

Each and every one of us is the proof of the divine miracle, within us is the whole universe and its energy we can conquer anything. :TH:

Thank you all so much for replying. I thought noone was going to reply, made me really happy to see all those kind words. I will carry on doing what i do, praying, etc. Just sometimes it becomes really difficult to cope and i just feel like getting it all out because i havent told anyone about it....so this is a huge emotional outlet for me. jagsinrags, your stories were really nice and made me feel very positive about things.

Thanks again everybody and hope with gods love ill be better.

WGJKK WGJKF