Feed The Homeless

Shinda

Just to let Sangat know

Hi!  It is now the time of year where u can extend out a hand to the less fortunate and put a smile on a strangers face.  The homeless project is currently being orgnaized again and we hope that more people will come out and help.  Those who have taken part in the past have considered it a valuable experience.  While some liked the idea of the  'good deed' others were left with thoughts that changed their outlook towards the homeless and life in general.  The homeless are people just like u and I, but having to face different circumstances and a battle to survive in a different environment.  Although some believe that the homeless are on the streets out of their own choice, others have no choice but to be there...it is not our job to judge them.  However, we can respect them as individuals and help them out in any way that we can.  There is a lack of love  out there and it does not take much out of us to show that a simple hug can put a smile on someones face.

The project is based solely on donations.  Money collected is used to buy items such as food, clothing and blankets to name a few.  These things are then taken and personally handed out to the homeless in downtown Toronto.  If you would like to take part in this project, please e-mail me with the following details:  Name, age, phone number and whether or not u have taken part in the project before.  Also, will be going out on January 1st.  If you can volunteer any time before that i.e. to help get clothes and food, please let me know.  Also, if you have any contacts taht can give us discounts, let me know.  Remember, there are many ways in which you can help out.  While some can donate money others can donate their time.

email is sukhi_05@hotmail.com

Daas

p.s. please forward this e-mailto anyone whom u think

He is the love that dwells in the heart

The lips that utters prayers

The arms that give hugs

The part of urself which u ignore .........until ur alone

I am surprised that this thread recieved no replies on this forum, especially since it is a message about something so fundamental in our Gurdware and Sikhi, the feeding of homeless.

What does everybody think to setting up an organisation where left over langar is given to the homeless every day, after all it is only thrown away or down the langar gobbler machine. (you know what I mean, that machine with the red and green switch)

good idea? rolleyes.gif

I am surprised that this thread recieved no replies on this forum, especially since it is a message about something so fundamental in our Gurdware and Sikhi, the feeding of homeless.

What does everybody think to setting up an organisation where left over langar is given to the homeless every day, after all it is only thrown away or down the langar gobbler machine. (you know what I mean, that machine with the red and green switch)

good idea? rolleyes.gif

:@ Thats exactly what we do in our gurdwara, when on gurpurabs a lot of langar is left over we take it to the homeless shelters and distribute but i think that Helping homeless ppl shouldn't be once a year thing it should be more than that.

Each gurdwara should give part of its earning to the charity instead of spending it on ouselves.

In my state there are some restrictions.. Some members of this group tried to have a program "feed homeless once in a month" etc.. but the california state policy requires every food to be cooked @ the shelter etc... Anyway, I think singhs did went and did the sewa :@ that all matters...

Ok here is a topic changing questions for u guys. We as sikh are supposed to give Daswandh (10th of our income). While most of us dont give that much but do give as much as we can, we only give that to the gurdwara. This money makes sure that the gurdwara is run properly, ie maintence, langar etc, but not enough ( sometimes None) of that money goes to the charity.

We spend it among ourselves. I been thinking about this , since in my gurdwara we have set amount of money that we give to the management on monthly basis. This money gets spent on langar and other stuff. I never seen it given to homeless poeple etc except when there is a big crises eg Gujrat earthquake.

So i am thinking about giving the money to charity instead of gurdwara management. Do you think its an appropriate decision to make, considering we (Gurdwara) need money for the new building?.

The thing is, I wouldn't give my daswand to the Gurdwara anyway, because, yeh, they make the place more comfortable for us, but we are pampered enough already without us giving ourselves money and giving committees money. :@

The daswand also I think shouldn't be given willy nilly to any charitie because sometimes you find the money doesn't go to where it was intended (when u donated). :T:

Having said this, of course all charities are not like this, but my daswand, I would like to wait until I go to India, and see if there is some way to help the underprivaledged, in simple ways like distributing clothes, education money, marriage money. Or failing that, help out the NSPCC, because children, to me, are very dear. :@

I always feel in a way, if we're helping people then why not help those in india who are even poorer than the poorest man in Britain because at least here, I have not heard of families dying for lack of food. :@ And even out of that i would want to help the womens organisations in a land where women are not given a voice, even today.

So i am thinking about giving the money to charity instead of gurdwara management. Do you think its an appropriate decision to make, considering we (Gurdwara) need money for the new building?.[/b]

vwihgurU jI kw Kwlsw!

vwihgurU jI kI &iqh!!

^_^^_^^_^ GARIB KA MOO GURU KI GOLAK ^_^^_^^_^ said by gurusahib wich

one can any sangat pls tell.

gurudwara sahib wich maya de kami nahi he jee. u took a very good desicion.

charity is also important or u can share it 50/50

Having said this, of course all charities are not like this, but my daswand, I would like to wait until I go to India, and see if there is some way to help the underprivaledged, in simple ways like distributing clothes, education money, marriage money. Or failing that, help out the NSPCC, because children, to me, are very dear.

Yeah, i saw this program on ITV (holiday showdown) where this christian family go on holiday in africa and spend their time helping people out. I think thats quite a good way to spend a holiday by doing sewa.

You kuriyans got it easy cos being Dhiya/bhena no one wants anything from u whereas from us guys everyone wants this and that when we go to india. So serenity u will come back richer from india. Whereas when me and my dad go to india, we have to take stuff for everyone. Even for the gwandiyan's gwandi( neighbour's neighbour tongue.gif ).

neways the question is,should i stop giving money to the gurdwara even though they need it for the new building and if i do stop it would mean not being able to use the gurdwara for any programs ie Weddings (Calm down i am still in uni).

p.s Daljeet,i thought u knew i am from UK, Northwest :@