Granth Means Book

Bhai Sahib

Granth means Book

Granth literally means Book, (ref: http://www.punjabonline.com/servlet/librar...?Action=English)

If someone referred to Guru Nanak as a 'Holy One', or a 'Holy person', then I would not have a problem with that, and so neither would I have a problem with someone describing the Guru Granth as a 'Holy Book'.

So what does the title 'Guru Granth' mean to me.

Well the word 'Guru' is comprised of two words, Gu means 'Darkness' and Ru - meaning Light. Light dispels darkness and therefore a Guru is one that dispels darkness. So the Guru Granth is the book that dispels darkness (ignorance). A title which is quite fitting.

For some people the Guru Granth is the embodiment of Guru Nanak. Which in a way is quite correct. However they humanise the Guru Granth and treat it like a person. To the external viewer this can seem odd and be viewed as idolisation or idol worship. However Sikhs only worship God, not Guru Nanak or any other object. So why do we bow down to the Book that dispels darkness. Well speaking for myself, its love. A book that dispels darkness is something that is really important and precious to me. So therefore I respect it and love it. I wouldn't want any damage to occur to it because the information it contains is really important and precious to me. Its not the book part that I bow down to, it’s the information, the data, the knowledge it contains, that I bow down to. It just so happens that the medium to convey this information/knowledge happens to be in the form of a book. (And a book for me is the best medium to convey this information for a human being, - high resolution, easy accessibility, low risk of data corruption).

Guru marneo Granth means "Accept the Book as Guru"

God became the Word and the Word was God - Word-God paradigm

For me the Guru Granth is not the succesor to Guru Gobind Singh. For me the Guru Granth has always been Guru Nanak’s Guru, the only Guru there has ever been. Not the book part but the information/knowledge part. Or in other words, the True Guru is Gurbani. Guru Nanak himself bowed down to his writings, (the Gurbani).

What is Gurbani?

Gurbani is information/knowledge that is true. (Or in other words any information that dispels darkness, (i.e. ignorance)).

I believe Gurbani is not really Guru Nanak’s word, but words (i.e. information) from God, (who is the source of all truth).

To understand the Word-God paradigm you need to think a bit more abstractly. Don't worry if you don't understand it now, I myself didn't at first when someone tried to explain this abstract idea to me (but I'm beginning to understand it now).

So is the Guru Granth just a book?

The Guru Granth is not just any book, but a holy one. I equate the information (that the book contains) to God himself.

So who am I bowing down to at the Gurdwara,

a book?

no, I'm bowing down to God.

"Gurbani and God are the same".

This is the Word-God paradigm.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lil something to think about. you said,

I wouldn't want any damage to occur to it because the information it contains is really important and precious to me. Its not the book part that I bow down to, it’s the information, the data, the knowledge it contains, that I bow down to.
so if one saroop gets "damaged" then you wont feel pain because you can just bring another saroop in their place (with the same knowledge)

lately, i've seen one too many such threads that say that the physical aspect isn't important, its the knowledge i bow down to. n the same people will EVER bow down to a bhramgyani (who ofcourse have the same knoweldge). if we go down that route, soon we will begin to prakaash computer with guru granth sahib's bani our gurdwara's :D @

read history, it tell us how much respect guru arjan sahib ji gave to what you are refering to as a "book".

guru samat bakhshey

Granth is Punjabi equivalent of the Sanskrit word "vidiya". Granth = Knowledge...

Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji = The Great Knowledge/Akaal Vidya and jot of Vaheguroo that Akaal Purkh himself has blessed us with...Bole Ji Vaaahegurrooooooo!!!!!

Sarbloh Granth Ji = The Knowlege of Iron/Sarbloh (where Sarbloh represents immortalaty bir-rass and being a spahi (warrior)

Dasam Granth Ji = The works of knowlege/vidya of our 10th Sache Patshah (a compilation of Knowledge/Vidya that Dasmesh Pita blessed us with)

Correct me if im wrong...

manno taan guru aa na manno taan kitab aa .... maan di bhavna .... peyar aa .... satkar aa .... rab da roop sohna sroop aa .... shabad toon utpati hoyi hai jagg di .... sadda guru shabad aa ....

there was no body which was our guru in past ... it was a jot nirankar ..... our guru was the person who has that jot ... and now that jot is in guru granth sahib ....

jo gajj ke fathe bullaye

guru granth sahib de maan nu bhaye

nehal ho jaye

sat sri akalllllllll

Guest waheguruji

About Guru Nanak he was Nirankari Jot no doubt

Those who say he isnt God

BrahmGyani Aap Nirankaar

so wasnt he even a BrahmGyani

some say hes a prophet some say Avatar some say Pir or Baba but for me Nirankaar Saroop no doubt

About Guru Nanak he was Nirankari Jot no doubt

Those who say he isnt God

BrahmGyani Aap Nirankaar

so wasnt he even a BrahmGyani

some say hes a prophet some say Avatar some say Pir or Baba but for me Nirankaar Saroop no doubt

Is your mouth burning dude? :D

So Mukha Jale Jit Kai Thakur Jooni - Let That Mouth Burn That Claims The Master Is In The Circle of Life and Death!

How is he sayin dat the master is in the circle of life and death, he ment that guru ji was the jot of akal purkh, guru ji was god cum down in body form ,only the body dies not the aatama

Joon is life! - Guru Nanak Maharaj had the attributes of God, but was not God! - Be wary we don't turn into Christians ansd start claiming Guru was God like they do with Jesus