Dhunni

Guest guest

what does dhunni mean?....i dont mean the belly botton by the way...but the word is normally used when talkin about doing simran saas giraas?..hmm well ive noticed that anyways? wacko.gif

pleaseee replyy....thank you

It refers to when people break out into "Waheguru Waheguru" simran in the middle of a shabad. When done in a planned intentional way, it is against Gurmat as it breaks the shabad and inserts words that Guru Sahib themselves never inserted. Gursikhs who reach high spiritual states have been known to instantly break into dhunni, but it was nothing close to the demeaning show it has become today when every keertani does it.

um....i'm goin off track a bit but.... i'm a lil confused about that whole "when people break out into "Waheguru Waheguru" simran in the middle of a shabad" thing cause i had no clue it was pap? I mean i thought it was good to recite waheguru to the max? And keertanis at the gurudwara sahib i go to do it allll the time...

I agree with Ramneet, Aren't u meant to remember Vaheguru all the time? Im confused grin.gif

Guest Gurmat

Post by Bhai Kulbir Singh Jee on tapoban.org

While listening to kirtan and while singing kirtan, Gursikhs continue the khanda of Naam gupto-gupt inside, using the Naam Abhyaas vidhi taught by the Punj Pyaray. What we suggest (not impose) is that dhuni of Vaheguru Vaheguru should not be uttered by the kirtaniya. Kirtaniya should just do Gurbani kirtan as written in Siri Guru Granth Sahib jee. Here are some points to ponder upon:

1) When doing shabad of Gurbani, we must keep the sanctity of the Shabad by maintaining the sequence of it. To sing anything from outside does not seem right. If there was a need to say "Vaheguru Vaheguru" or "Dhan Guru Nanak" in the shabad, Guru Sahib would have indicated this in the shabad. In the absence of this, we have no right to break the sequence of the shabad.

2) The Kirtaniya knows that sangat is singing behind him. He also knows that sitting in sangat are individuals who have not yet taken amrit. By doing dhuni in open program, the kirtaniya is japping Naam to individuals who have not yet received Naam from Guru Sahib i.e. are not amritdhari yet. This seems to be a wrong practice.

3) It has been confirmed by many Singhs of Bhai Sahib's times that at that time, Dhuni was not done. There were instances where the kirtaniya would lose control over himself due to extreme ecstasy coming from Kirtan and at that time sangat would just do Vaheguru Vaheguru. But the way dhuni is done now a days was not to be found in those days.

4) The fortunate Gursikhs who have attained Naam from Punj Pyaray know what the correct way of Naam Abhyaas is. Doing dhuni is certainly not the Gurmat Vidhi of Naam Abhyaas. When we have been blessed with the Gurmat Dhuni, how can we justify doing Naam by any other method but the swaas swaas Gurmat Jugti?

Having said the above, let us please refrain from arguing over this. We have no allergy from Dhuni and if someone wants to do it, they can do so. We don't do dhuni ourselves just like a lot of Jatha Singhs in India. We don't do dhuni and we advise others not to do it but if someone wants to do it, we don't have any issues with that person. Dhuni does not affect our relationship with anyone.

Daas,

Kulbir Singh