Want To Drop Out Of University.

Guest _Lost_

Sangat Ji I desperatly need some advice, I feel like I am wasting time at Uni and just getting into debt for no reason because I know that the way things are going Im gonna have to repeat another year. My Maan Is not in University and education anymore and I want a break/get a job.

But Due to my Sikh apperance (its Obvious) I aint getting jobs in retail etc and other common job areas, basically I dont know what to do with myself, I have been thinking of joining the police force but as you know there are various tests I have to pass to go there...If I fail them; then thats it.

My Family think I have everything sorted with Uni...Im supposed to be the "clever one" and they say all thier hopes are on me so I have been kinda pressuried into coming Uni in the first place. I have major responsibilty to them aswell and they are hoping I can financially help them in the future

Should I keep on struggling through Uni and maybe repeat WaheGuru knows how many years or try and get any job that comes along.

Advice Please Im sooo confused!

At the moment your university studying makes up your "Kirt Kamai" which is an essential part of your Jeevan along with Simran, Seva, Rehat etc. I think if you are lucky enough to have the intellectual ability to study at university then you should take advantage of this as there are so many young individuals who wish they were "the clever one" who would be able to study there.

Sometimes it does become difficult especially if the course is pressurising but essentially laziness is no excuse to drop out of uni - with Guru Sahib's Kirpa you can acheive anything and certainly a few years of studying at the most will pay off tremendously in the long term in terms of job prospects.

Gurufateh!

I dont know if am going to help your situation - but if i was you - i would tell my family HOW i feel - i mean am sure they would feel for you - as you sound pressurised by financial stuff. If your not interested in what ever it is your studying then try and see WHY your arent interested becuase if it's like one of them days where you feel EVERYTHING in education is boring then dont mistake it - make sure you know WHAT your not interested in.

As for the job - thing i think its sucks - companies that dont employee people on the basis of their apperance is stupiddd!!! If you need a break / job - try and get one through 'Connextions' - they always hook people up with jobs.

I aint starting Uni till like maybe a year's time - so i dont know EXACTLY how you feel - i hope ive helped a tiny bit! :TH:

Good Luck!!!

Gurufateh!

Start your own business, most Sikhs have because of discrimination. So use your entrepreneural skills, which Sikh community is rich in. You have the advantage of having time on your hands to come up with idea's..so use it.

Britain's youngest self-made millionaire is a Sikh guy called Ruben Singh.

First of all,

You need to talk to your parents about this, buddy. If I were you, I would never hide anything from my parents, you lose their trust that way. (I am not saying you did, but just talking in general).

Second, if your mind is not into University, it is perhaps you are not in the mood to do University at the time, is something bugging you? Is everything okay at home? I know it can be a hard time for you, but these are the trials and tribulations of life my friend. You can't lose hope just like that. We have to struggle in life a little bit, other wise everything we got would seem nothing to us, because we never put our 110% in the job. You have to focus my friend, University would only help you in the long run, trust me a University degree looks VERY NICE. Also, if the money is an issue, why don't you apply for financial assistance. Usually, the province/territory/state/region/county you live in would have a financial assistance program for students attending post-secondary institutions, use that to your advantage, because you don't have to pay them up after you graduate and find a job.

Also, you should try organizing yourself, I am sure that would help to my friend. Get you priorities, your goals, you situation straight, and then on a paper write down what your plan will be from Sunday to Saturday.

On monday your going to do this this and this, on tuesday this this and this, and follow it, it will help you be organized and be a well-rounded person. Also throw some physical activity in their, if you know me from this site, I always stress the gym. :) But, for you just a regular 1 KM run could be good enough. Try to get a part-time job, that could help you with some of your expenses as well. Visit your local employment centre for opportunities, go to the library and fill out those career cruising pages and they tell you what job might fit you, or you can visit city hall and see what the city has to offer in terms of employment.

In terms of religion, do ardas to Akal Purakh with a clear heart, and clean mind and your problems will start to fade awayyyyyyyyyyy. Take a humkanama from GGS. Or you can go to your local Gurdwara, and ask the head granthi to do Ardas for you. But, I highly suggest doing it yourself, becasue the granthi's usually do it for formality terms, and not becasue they REALLY care about the person. There are some out there that really care though.

In general, just be organized and well rounded, and take it easy a little too, don't overstress it, its' not worth it man.

I hope everything works out for you,

Akal Purakh Chardi Kalaa Bakshe. Take Care.

GURBUR AKALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Seems like you are almost done, you dont want all of your previous years going to waste...stick in there and work hard, it will benefit you in the long run...you're almost there, just press on and do ardaas everyday for Maharaj's assistance and guidance.. :TH:

The best advice I can give you is to hang in there and sweat it out. I'm at University myself and it is hard work. But the rewards after you have a degree outweigh the hard work you're going to have to put in. It seems as though you've just taken your January exams and you feel that they didn't go as well as they should have done.

Well the academic year is far from over, you're only half way through it, so you've got plenty of time to get ace your next exams in the summer. The key is getting yourself organised, planning your revision strategies and managing your time. Your personal tutor at University will be able to give you good advice on this sort of stuff.

If you feel you don't understand something or need more help, then go and see your tutor. Don't struggle by yourself burying your head in text books, it's a lot easier when somebody explains a difficult concept to you than trying to learn it yourself.

Make sure you also do activities which get your mind away from University and studying when you can to give yourself a break. Go to the gym, knock about with a football, or even go for a walk somewhere. This will ensure that your mind stays fresh, well thats what works for me anyway.

All the best with your studies, and don't worry too much as well cos stress aint gonna do nothin good for ya.

Take care