Someone Needs My Bone Marrow!

Guest Confused

Guest Confused

I had joined the Anthony Nolan Trust Bone Marrow Charity 2 years ago! however recently they contacted me saying that I was a "match" and someone needed me..however the procedure envolves shaving hair from the area they need to extract it from! What shall I do? I'm the only help and this person desperatly needs the marrow...Im gonna go ahead with it either way because I will feel guilty for not helping butttt I just wanted to know does this really break my rehit in a big bad way?

I feel so bad! :sady:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying I will go ahead with it either way is a bad choice, you are here asking because you need to know if it is right or wrong.

Firstly, Yes, you are breaking your rehit in a big bad way. Rehit is very important, The whole concept behind rehit is keeping it at all costs. In sikh history we can see many examples of where the Rehit was tested, and ultimately was kept by Sikhs.

Guru ji says rehit is important to him than the sikh.

I'll assume you didnt know there was hair removal in the process prior to enlisting. So with that in mind, You have to put importance on your religion and rehit. Only you can decide what is important to you, rehit or playing around it and then feeling good cause you gave your bone marrow, but feeling bad cause you violated the rehit.

Many people will make excuses for violating rehits, but at the end it comes down to what one values more. We can argue the fact, you can keep your rehit, and refuse, and do ardaas so someone else can be found. But, since you're well prepared to give up your bone marrow, You can offer the hospital/trust if it's possible to do the operation without removal of hair (obviously some will be removed along the incision itself, but that's another discussion for debate which i wont get into at this time.)

Now the mistake is aboout you being misinformed, and not knowing what would be done during the procedure prior to enlisting. You should have known this before, that way you would have thought twice about enlisting. Like the old, over used saying goes, Think about yourself as a sikh, and about helping yourself, before we help others.

Just go for it bro..not evryone gets a chance to save a human life.. Guru Ji is above all and i am pretty sure u knw the answer to this aswell. Removing hair in this case is not a kurehit, its SEVA.

waheguru...

i maybe wrong coz im still learning...plz do go ahead with it n im sure guru ji will be proud of u becoz u will be helping a person to get a better life..and as others said get an opinion for the punj pyare coz that will be the best.

bhul chuk maaf ji

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh

I will cut my kes during the Peel Police Cancer Charity help campaign.

Where everyone cuts their hair and becomes bald, and donates them to the Charity.

I will not be doing kurehit as I am doing seva for the community.

The Punj Pyaaray and Rehit do not make exceptions for kurehits. Rehit is rehit and there is no flexibility with something like kurehits.

Cutting or shaving of hair is not allowed for a Gursikh. Be it for the "community" or anything else. Baba Banda Singh Bahadur and those Singhnees in Meer Manoo's jails could have saved their little babies had they decided to "temporarily" convert to Islam. What bigger reason could there be than to save the lives of helpless infants? But they made their choice and it was not to compromise with their Sikhi.

Regarding this issue in particular: operations can be performed without removal of hair. It's not mandatory, it's just a precaution to avoid infection.

The Punj Pyaaray and Rehit do not make exceptions for kurehits. Rehit is rehit and there is no flexibility with something like kurehits.

Cutting or shaving of hair is not allowed for a Gursikh. Be it for the "community" or anything else. Baba Banda Singh Bahadur and those Singhnees in Meer Manoo's jails could have saved their little babies had they decided to "temporarily" convert to Islam. What bigger reason could there be than to save the lives of helpless infants? But they made their choice and it was not to compromise with their Sikhi.

Regarding this issue in particular: operations can be performed without removal of hair. It's not mandatory, it's just a precaution to avoid infection.

Dear veer Singh132,

I have always enjoyed reading your posts, but i really dont agree with what you have said here. In no ways can you compare Qurbani of those singhnees with this situation.

No one is asking the original poster to embrace islam. No one is saying that his/her babies will be slaughtered. All i am saying is there is no need to exaggerate these issues. Bone marrows rarely match and i see this as a chance to save a human life.

What if a gursikh needs a bone marrow, would he not let doctors remove hair from tht area ?? What about the mothers who have a Cesarean Operation ?? What about the Gursikhs who have tumors removed from their brains ?? ..Are you suggesting they all should remain "TRUE GURSIKHS" and DIE ??

You said we shouldn't remove hair, that would mean we should be really careful when we comb our hair too. Sometimes our hair are tangled and while running a kanga thru them some hair are uprooted.

You have talked of Punj Piyarre, you yourself knw evry GuruGhar has it own rehit and thy cliam this is the rght rehit. What Punj are we talkin about here ???

Its funny how we say we shouldn't kill animals ( for vegge sikhs, dont debate on this now) and here we are saying let a human die because its against sikhi to cut hair.

KFI veer,

You always surprise me. Donating hair for cancer is totally different. You can give money to such institutions. Can you give money to this patient instead of a matching marrow ?? Do some thinking veer ji.

General Comment:

If this is the SIKHI we are talking about i am better off staying away from this SIKHI.

Bhula Chukan Maaf