The Tradition / Significance Of A Sachkhand In A Gurdwara

thedoc

Dear Sangat Ji

WJKK WJKF

I've always found it strange that a room next to the main diwan hall should be called sachkhand and why the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is put to 'bed' at 'night'? The jot of Guru ji is timeless and and yet we treat the jot like a living human being and shackle it with time constraints. Is this right?

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

Dear Sangat Ji

WJKK WJKF

I've always found it strange that a room next to the main diwan hall should be called sachkhand and why the Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji is put to 'bed' at 'night'? The jot of Guru ji is timeless and and yet we treat the jot like a living human being and shackle it with time constraints. Is this right?

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

interesting question. i have thaught about that 2.

history tells us that guru arjan sahib, after compiling the first guru granth sahib, they were refered to as pothi sahib at the time, gave up his bed and used to sleep on the floor from then on.

i don't know the reason for this, nor do i need to know. all i know is if guru arjan sahib did it, then we as his sikhs must also do it. :)

think about this, guru granth sahib is treated as guru's in human forms were treated both physcially and spritually :cool:

history tells us that guru arjan sahib, after compiling the first guru granth sahib, they were refered to as pothi sahib at the time, gave up his bed and used to sleep on the floor from then on.

i don't know the reason for this, nor do i need to know. all i know is if guru arjan sahib did it, then we as his sikhs must also do it. :)

think about this, guru granth sahib is treated as guru's in human forms were treated both physcially and spritually :cool:

Papi ji. You're a nice chap. Love your Bani posts too.

But, the SGGS is not human. It is the Shabad Guru and I agree with the OP that it should not be put to bed like it was human. - Sikhs are NOT hindus. SO LET US STOP THIS SILLY RITUAL STARTED BY UNEDUCATED MANMAT PEOPLE!!

Dear Sangat Ji

WJKK WJKF

Bhul Chuk Maaf.

They claim they follow Sikhi - Anybody have viable sources that SGGS was put to 'bed' in the times of the Gurus?? No!

Anybody who disagrees with me, I don't want YOUR opinion, but actual evidence to back your claims in support of it!

Gur Fateh

There's a fine line between idol worship and respect of Sri Guru Granth Sahib.

The first thing we have to understand is that Guru Granth Sahib is not a "book" and has never been treated as such by Guru Sahib in human form or any Sikhs. The biggest proof of this is the existence of Kotha Sahib in the original Sri Akal Takhat Sahib where Guru Granth Sahib has always been brought to rest and continues to this day to be brought there for sukh asan. This room wasn't created for any other reason and it is in the original structure of Sri Akal Takhat Sahib.

But at the same time we have to understand that Guru Granth Sahib is not in human form and doesn't have those needs that a human body has. For example Guru Granth Sahib doesn't need to eat or exercise or feel cold or be taken for walks. Guru Sahib doesn't need to be bathed. If we try to do these things for Guru Sahib's saroop it is idol worship.

At the same time, there is nothing more precious than Guru Granth Sahib. If there is something that precious, you don't treat it casually. That's why Guru Granth Sahib is brought in with ceremony at amrit vela and sukh asan is done at night. If you look at the Jews and how they treat the Torah, they too see it as something very precious (to this day the Torah is ONLY hand written and ONLY in the scroll format, never in a book). To get a Torah, Jews wait a long time and pay a lot of money. It is treated with utmost respect.

So at night, when there is really no one to attend to Guru Sahib's saroop and no one who can do seva or read the saroop, sukh asan is done. Guru Sahib is then taken from the Darbar to a more secure room where the saroop is left overnight. Usually Guru Sahib's saroop rests on a bed but if you look at older Gurdwara Sahibs for example Gurdwara Patti Sahib in Nankana Sahib and others as well (in Pinds), sometimes there was a compartment made in the wall, almost like a cave, that was maybe 1.5 ft tall, about the same wide and about 2 ft deep where Guru Sahib's saroop was kept. So a bed isn't absolutely mandatory, but there is nothing wrong about it either.

Guru Sahib's saroop shouldn't be treated casually because it has the jot of Satguru Nanak resting within it. Gursikhs recognise this fact and any respect they give to the saroop is not enough. So the finest resting area is created with the highest quality things.

There is an atheist/a-shardak wave going through our community these days. We have to be careful not to fall into ritualism and idol worship but at the same time we shouldn't go to the other extreme as well in which we abandon all our old traditions and beliefs. If you value something, you will treat it specially. This is the word of God and the jot of Guru Nanak, would you stomach it being placed on a shelf with other books or being carried around in someone's backpack to be opened at any place and any time?

Papi ji. You're a nice chap. Love your Bani posts too.

But, the SGGS is not human. It is the Shabad Guru and I agree with the OP that it should not be put to bed like it was human. - Sikhs are NOT hindus. SO LET US STOP THIS SILLY RITUAL STARTED BY UNEDUCATED MANMAT PEOPLE!!

What really gets me is how sikhs of today like pakhandi baba can turn around and say that traditions that the guru themselves did during their time for example like sukhasan are manmat. It seems that the time of kaljug is upon sikhs thinking they know better than their gurus and that the gurus carried out Manmat!!! LOL.gif sorry dont know whether to laugh or cry on this point!! :sady:

also pakhandi baba how can you state that sukhasan was started by uneducated by manmat people when it was started by guru Arjun Dev J themseles. Please explain this slap.gifslap.gif

there is a disturbing new tread i'm noticing in youth lately...... anything that doesn't make sense to us is labelled manmatt. frankly, i think that word is used wayyy too often without really understanding the meaning of it.

guru kirpa karey.