Sikh History-tilak When Conferring Guruship And Coconut And Sava Rupees When Conferring Guriship To Sggs Ji ?

thedoc

Dear Sangat Jee

WJKK

WJKF

I have always been intrigued by the manner in which the guruship was conferred in the days of our living gurus ie., Baba Budha Ji placing a 'tilak' on the forehead of Guru Ji. I also find it interesting that the 10th master placed a coconut and sava rupees infront of Jot SGGS Ji and conferred Guruship. These traditions are clearly rooted in ancient Hindu philosophy. What are the sangats observations / comments on these historical aspects of our spiritual heritage ?

Guest Dancing Warrior
Dear Sangat Jee

WJKK

WJKF

I have always been intrigued by the manner in which the guruship was conferred in the days of our living gurus ie., Baba Budha Ji placing a 'tilak' on the forehead of Guru Ji. I also find it interesting that the 10th master placed a coconut and sava rupees infront of Jot SGGS Ji and conferred Guruship. These traditions are clearly rooted in ancient Hindu philosophy. What are the sangats observations / comments on these historical aspects of our spiritual heritage ?

Very true, don’t be surprised if many people don’t respond. This forum is a white wash haven! Or as one guy put it once “if that is the truth, I don’t wanna know the truth" LOL.gif

Gurfateh !

Here is a gilded panel from Goindwal Sahib - showing Guru Ram Das Sahib Ji , with Bhai Gurdas Ji performing Chaur sewa and Baba Buddha Ji conferring Guruship with tilak. It probably dates from the mid 19th century

goindwalcn1.jpg

The picture doesn't really add anything to this particular debate ,but I thought it was interesting and you may like to see it .

'Freed'

Just FYI as mentioned earlier:

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?SourceID=G&pageno=923

raamadhaas sodtee thilak dheeaa gur sabadh sach neesaan jeeo ||5||

The Guru then blessed the Sodhi Ram Das with the ceremonial tilak mark, the insignia of the True Word of the Shabad. ||5||

Also from Bhai Gurdas Vaaran - regarding a Gurmukh:
http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=5987

guramukh ma(n)th samhaal jap japaaeiaa||

Gurmukh carefully and attentively recites the moolmantar.

gurmuiK inhclu hoie iek min iDAwieAw]

guramukh nihachal hoe eik man dhhiaaeiaa||

The Gurmukh single-mindedly concentrates upon the Lord.

mQY itkw lwlu nIswxu suhwieAw]

mathhai ttikaa laal neesaan suhaaeiaa||

The red mark of love adorns his forehead.

pYrI pY gur isK pYrI pwieAw ]õ]

pairee pai gur sikh pairee paaeiaa ||a||

Falling on the feet of the Sikhs of the Guru and thus through his own humility, he makes others surrender to his feet.