Jaspal to Sikhsangat.com

S1ngh

jassi.jpgFamily and friends may have warned him that he didn't stand a chance in the glamour world with his Sikh looks, but that didn't stop Jaspal Singh Sehgal from competing for Grasim Mr India, and proving all the doomsayers wrong by emerging triumphant. He was the first runner up, becoming the first Sikh in nearly a decades years to have come this far.

It was a night to remember, not just for Raghu Mukherjee and the host city Bangalore to remember, but also for the first runner-up, Mumbai's own Jaspal Sehgal, who got a fair share of applause from the crowd with his friendly demeanour, along with the gorgeous Saumik Rao from Ahmedabad who got a well-deserved second runner-up position. The panel of judges included Sunil Gavaskar, Abhishek Bachchan, Raveena Tandon, Smriti Malhotra, Aditi Gowritrikar, Vani Ganapathy, Priyanka Chopra, Aryan Vaid, Karan Johar and Tarun Tahliani.

Says the proud 26-year-old Mumbai-born, who is now eyeing greener pastures. "I'm preparing for Mr International, which will be held in October this year in Hamburg, Germany. This is one opportunity I don't wish to miss, I'll give it my best shot."

Jaspal always knew modelling was where he belonged. Though after college he worked with his elder brother's shipping business in Canada (he pursued an MBA course in Ottawa), he returned after two years "because I believed I could change the normal perception of a male model." He joined the British Institute for a three-months intensive course to learn the ropes.

"They groomed us completely by teaching us basic etiquette, the correct

way of walking and talking apart from instilling confidence in us," remembers Jaspal.

He hopes to launch his own fashion label sometime in the future but before that he would like to be the hottest name on the ramp. "Internationally, my unconventional looks will be a hit. Even during the Grasim show this year I stood out amongst the 30-odd boys from all over the country," says the starry-eyed Jaspal whose father runs a construction business in Mumbai.

A firm believer in taking the road less travelled, Jaspal missed the Mr India crown to Bangalore-boy Raghu Mukherjee very closely. "Raghu deserved it and I have no regrets. And, here's a piece of advice for all aspiring models - believe in yourself as there's a model in each one of us. All we need is perseverance."