Why Do Some Singhs Wear No Pajama With Bana?

Guest Just Curious

"They now wear the lil necklace"-

Im sorry but I don't understand that. A kirpan is a kirpan. I mean I have heard of these necklaces that you wear instead of wearing your kirpan. However it is not acceptable. Nothing can replace a kakaar. It is like saying you can cut your hair but wear a wig to cover it up.

A kirpan is a kirpan people!

Can you please explain to me what exactly you meant by that statement?

Waheguruu =)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirpan is kirpan, thats absolutely right.

I have seen people wearing "choti" kirpan (3 inch or less). is that kirpan guru ji gave us? guru ji gave REAL kirpan...3 feet long. Nobody wears that now.

Also, can bibiyan wear bana without pajami?....like as jassa ji explained in the time of war and horse etc.

Why should a Bibi wear Pyjami with Bana but men are told that they shouldn't.

If this is something related to the fact of women having hair on their legs and now it has become socially unacceptable in our society to show that than you guys are lost.

In sikhi, equality is something that each of our Guru's fought for.

Women should be able to wear bana without Pyjami just due to the fact that thats how Bana is worn.

Now, here in Western counrties it gets quite cold during the Winter Season. So it is understable why Singh's/Bibi's would perfer to wear Pyjami's.

I am not saying that Bibi's should NEVER wear Pyjami's with Bana. But I am only fighting for the fact that Why should Bibi's have to wear Pyjami's and Singhs are told not too?

Please Forgive me If I have said anything wrong.

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru =)

Guest peacemaker

It's no so much the hair on their legs, I sure don't mind that, it's just that men and women have different areas that are private on their body. Like it might be ok for a man to wear no shirt in his house if he really doesn't feel like wearing one, but if a woman wore no shirt, people would say that was wrong.

Ok I got it, its the same reason muslims cover their women for. They feel that whole of the women is "private" but we sikh only require to cover some parts of women as we think they are private.

But "legs" are private too?

but then whats so private with womens legs? legs are legs aren't they? i personally wouldn't wear no pyjami but some people say that we believe in equality so then why should bibia have to wear pyjami and men don't. Or is it just that bibia choose to wear one?

fatehjee

It's no so much the hair on their legs, I sure don't mind that, it's just that men and women have different areas that are private on their body. Like it might be ok for a man to wear no shirt in his house if he really doesn't feel like wearing one, but if a woman wore no shirt, people would say that was wrong.

This is the thinking of a feeble-mind. We all accept things that we see, who said men can go around the house without a shirt? If a woman without a shirt is indecent so is a man. This clearly shows how our thinking is contaminated becuase of certain rules created by the society. Tribal people (be it man or woman) still dont wear anything on top. now you'll call em uncivilized. :)

If a bibi is comfortable in kachera and chola so it is fine. If people want to wear pajami so be it. religion is not about wearing speacial kapre. there should not be any problem even if a bibi has hair on her legs. Some men dont get a darri (beard) should they wear a burka ???

Gurfateh!!

Don't forget that the bana which is being discussed here has not always been the bana of the Khalsa, it has changed it has adapted as it has needed to. Bana was at times just a Kashera and still is just a Kashera along with Panj Kakkar and Dumala. Singh would keep themselves warm with jus a kumbal. Over time this has changed, bana didn't have pockets now it does, bana could have been any colour, i've seen green and as you can see in picture of the week it is brown.

The pajama was just something that was traditionally worn when it was cold, now some rehitnameh say you should wear a pajama, well the Kashera sould below knee lenght.

With regards to bibiya and bana, i can't really say because i have not seen much evidence of bibiya wearing bana in the past, whether the likes of the Shaheed Singhnia wore bana is questionable because, even nihang singhs wifes don't. The only women who have traditionally worn bana were those who joined the Dals and gave up their normal lives and live like the Nihang Singhs.

Bhul Chuk Maaf!

Gurfateh!!