Where Do You See Punjab In 5 Years?

2desi

emii if the punjabi's knew what was good for them they wouldn't have voted for a BJP lot - but obviously they dont and are content enough to just live with it...punjab's got issues and the sooner the punjabi's (sikhs, hindu, muslims whatever) wake up the soone things'll get better. They living in a dream land; bunch of druggies, baby killers, drunks etc. this'll only get worse if they dont straighten up

yeah, and these druggies, baby killers, and drunks feed all of India plus some more. Where Punjab is where India goes.

Here we go again,

I won’t quit: Badal

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, March 10

A day after a special court in Ropar framed charges against Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal in a disproportionate assets case, he ruled out any possibility of his resignation over the issue.

“Why should I quit,” was the defiant reply put forth by Badal after meeting President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh here today. He pointed out that there were several ministers in the Union Cabinet against whom charges had been framed.

The Punjab Chief Minister maintained that there was no substance in charges that he had acquired wealth beyond means. “He (Amarinder Singh) used government machinery fully against me.... This was the first case of its kind in which allegations were attributed to reliable sources,” Badal said, as he denied any wrong doing while being in power from 1997 to 2002.

He said former Chief Minister Amarinder Singh acted in a vindictive manner. When asked whether he would repay the Congress leader in the same manner, he said, “I am not vindictive.” But, he recalled that two cases, one civil and criminal case, were pending against Amarinder Singh. “Law will take its course,” he said.

A special court in Roopnagar had yesterday framed charges against Badal, his wife, son and seven others in connection with the case. Special judge G.S. Saran directed that charges under various sections of the Prevention of Corruption Act and 120-B (criminal conspiracy) of the IPC be framed against Badal, his wife Surinder Kaur and son Sukhbir Singh Badal, but rejected the prosecution application for re-investigation of the case.

On the water dispute with Haryana, the Chief Minister insisted on the rights of riparian states. However, there was some toning down of his stand when he described water as a national asset. Perhaps, the pressure put by the BJP, which has gained in strength in the Assembly poll, seems to be acting on the SAD-led government, forcing the Punjab Chief Minister to mellow down his aggressive posture.

For history fact... Akali dal was founded by india's takla mahatma Ghandi in amritsar in early 1900's. I didn't know that till few weeks ago and my friends we need to do study and full research about punjab region dating at least 100 years..

Congress lost because Amrinder attitude shows a bit of sikh/khalistani based mindset and all hindus voted BJP. So BJP is going to grow strong as migrants population going strong, so my guess will be is BJP will take over Akali Dal and sadly it will become major power in Punjab.

i'm tellin you man - BJP can only run Punjab if Punjabi's allow it...What does it take to wake up nowadays? Do you need another Op.Blue Star before you bother to wake up and do something? Whatever happened to doin something BEFORE it's too late? lol I know i dont live in Punjab. But believe me if I were there I wouldnt just sit and accept things. I'd be working one step at a time if that's what it takes. I cant wait til I move over there. PUNJAB WATCH OUT!

disclaimer: this post is not aimed at anyone in particular, please dont take offence, bhul chuk maaf karni!

peace

The original Akali Dal and SGPC set up in the 1920's should not be confused with todays mess. The original member of the Akali Dal were Sikhs who freed the Gurdwaras from Hindu Mahants. Many laid down there lives at Nankana Sahib and sufferred severe beatings by the Police such as in the Jaito Morcha.

Mohandas Gandhi tried to copy the tactics of the Sikhs in the non violent resistance but gave the Sikhs little credit.

• 3 weeks later...

Despite Badal saying he would scrap the water agreements, under BJP pressure it did not take two weeks to reverse the decsion (If there was one in the first place)

SAD volte face expected

Ajay Banerjee

Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, March 28

In just one month of coming to power, the SAD volte face on scrapping Section 5 of the Punjab Termination of Agreements Act (PTAA), 2004, is more or less on expected legal and political lines.

Among legal luminaries and seasoned political observers, it was a foregone conclusion that the SAD will have to tone down the stance taken in its manifesto and also Parkash Singh Badal’s statement on the occasion of Hola Mohhala at Anandpur Sahib which had created a political storm of sorts.

The SAD manifesto — in reference to the PTAA and Section 5 of the same Act — says “the SAD-BJP government will take political, legal and constitutional steps to redress this grievous wrong done to the people of the state”.

The manifesto also says “ The Congress has systematically violated the riparian principle. The biggest blow to the state’s interests is by giving a legal guarantee to the flow of Punjab’s river waters to Haryana and Rajasthan under Clause 5. This strikes at the very roots of the riparian principle, completely contradicting Punjab’s stand that as Haryana and Rajasthan are non-riparian states, they have no right to have share in Punjab’s river waters.”

At Hola Mohalla, on March 3, Badal had made it clear that he will move ahead to scrap Section 5 of the PTAA, citing riparian rights of Punjab. This had raised hackles of Haryana Chief Minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda. The Haryana Government immediately moved the Supreme Court, where the Punjab Government today submitted an affidavit in which it said the Punjab Government stands by Section 5 of the PTAA.

The BJP, the SAD alliance partner, had taken a tough stance on the issue, with V.K. Malhotra, the chief whip of the party in the Lok Sabha, demanding that Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should intervene and stop Badal from taking the step. Badal, who has long held his view of honouring riparian rights, probably was under pressure from his alliance partner.

The Captain only did a few pro Sikh actions like the link to Nankana Sahib, but was punished by the Hindus who did not vote for him for being freindly to Sikhs. Now Congress will get a Hindu leader.

PPCC chief ‘likely’ to be Hindu

Tribune News Service

Gurdaspur, April 5

A Hindu is likely to be made the chief of Punjab Pradesh Congress Committee (PPCC). The Congress high command is giving it a thought, said Ashwani Kumar, union minister of state for industrial policy and promotion, here today.

Ashwani Kumar, while addressing mediapersons, expressed resentment over the registration of FIRs against senior Congress leaders by the SAD-BJP government in Punjab.

He said former Punjab Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh would be arriving in the country on April 9.