Not Understanding Bani?

does reading gurbani over n over again but not udnerstanding have any effect on you spritual? the reason i am asking alot of western born children do not understand gurbani??

Gurfateh ji,

Children in the western part of the world have this problem of not understanding Indian language so well.. Gurbani has been compiled using words from all over the country. Apart from Indian languages, it has Persian words as well.

The elders could read gurbani and translate it for the younger ones .. so that they eventually understand.

Bhul chuk maaf karni ji!

In the Suni-ai pauris within Sri Jap Ji Sahib, Maharaj tells us the following

suni-ai parh parh paavahi maan.

Listening-reading and reciting, honor is obtained.

This keeps me going and I believe with Guru Ji’s kripa, our budhi (intellect) slowly develops to an advancer level. What we don’t understand today, we find we begin to understand tomorrow!

This keeps me going and I believe with Guru Ji’s kripa, our budhi (intellect) slowly develops to an advancer level. What we don’t understand today, we find we begin to understand tomorrow!

There Sarab.. you go right again!! pray.gif

This keeps me going and I believe with Guru Ji's kripa, our budhi (intellect) slowly develops to an advancer level. What we don't understand today, we find we begin to understand tomorrow!

perhaps we need to look at the translation again :)

Ive had the same question in my mind for ages.

I don't think many of us completely understand every line of each Bani we read.

However, one day I asked a Singh who has done quite a bit of Vichaar of Gurbani and he said...

"What we do not understand today, we might come to understand tommorow."

I think someone posted that earlier.. in this thread. I believe it true.

Though everything in this world takes effort, we cannot expect to wake up every morning and just skim through Gurbani. We have to read and contemplate over what Maharaj is trying to say. Reading Gurbani like a Parrot does not make you more spirtual.

I believe it has SOME effect on you spirtually. However, really understanding and contemplating on Gurbani will benefit ANYONE in more ways than one.

Waheguru Bull chaak maaaaf kaarnee. =)))

Waheguru Waheguru Waheguru

does reading gurbani over n over again but not udnerstanding have any effect on you spritual? the reason i am asking alot of western born children do not understand gurbani??

someone posted a story where reciting bani or doing naam simran was compared with pouring water through a dirty strainer (ponie that we use for chaa :) ) . the water never stays in the strainer, goes right through it, but the water cleans the dirt out of the strainer! im not sure if im remembering it right. i will post it as soon as i find it. blush.gif

Their Is A Flaw With Words, They Always Force Us To Feel Enlgihtened, But When We Turn Around To Face The World They Always Fail Us And We End Up Facing The World As We Always Have Without Enlightenment

i hope u dont really believe in the above quote that u have in ur signatures. i dont wanna analyze it yet but would wait for u to find flaws in this quote

bhul chuk muaff karni

waheguru ji ka khalsa waheguru ji ki fateh!

yes it does.

just say it with sharda and pyaar, knowing that Guru Gobind Singh is sitting right infront of you with a smile on his beautiful face.

even if you don't have much gyian (understnading), but lots of pyiar, then your avastha will soar in no time. but vice-versa, you'll never get far.

even reading the english translations, but with deep love, you'll feel blessed.

but don't take my word for it, try it!