Meaning Of Baisakhi..

Heera Singh

So... yestarday I went to work... n i saw this "Baisakhi" poster up at work... (scotiabank)... our area has a LOT of indianz... (... too many if u ask mi.. hehe) and there was a picture on the poster... basically it was a few guyz in a field lookin like they was doin bhangra.. n undder it, it jus said 'baisakhi di lakh lkah vadiyaeaa' etc... in both punjabi n english....

so anyway... i actually asked my manager if we cud take the poster down, cuz it doesn't depict wha da REAL essence of baisakhi is... i mean da pic made it look like it was some mela or sumtin...

so she was kool bout it.. said if it bothers me to take it down... n i did... n she said to jus send her an e-mail to tell her wha exactly baisakhi... wha tha significance is.. etc.. etc... n she wud forward dat e-mail to sum1 at head office, the people who design the posters n wha not... she also said give ideas of wha pictures to put on da poster etc.... so.. i really dunno wha to write in da e-mail... like i kno wha Baisakhi is.. buh i can't put it into words.....

so i askin the sangat for some help... it can't be too long.. buh jus enuff that it gets the point across of the importance/significance etc... so please help...

btw.. this is a NATIONAL poster.. n i's in Scotiabanks all across the country... so she said maybe next year they can get a propper poster up, to sho wha Baisakhi REALLY is... n put that all across the country...

tha help wud be much appreciated...

Blessssed Love!!

Vaheguru Jee Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru Jee Kee Fateh!!

well.. to be fair..

vaisaakh is the beginning of the month of harvest, and therefore a very joyous point of the year for farmers, because this is when they earn their money to feed their families for the rest of the year, basically..

vaisakhi existed long before sikhism, and it's known that there have been "vaisakhi melas" celebrating the arrival of this season.. before Guru Nanak blessed this world, farmers still celebrated the coming of Vaisaakh.....

in other words.. The Sikh persective of Vaisakhi is quite different from the cultural perspective of vaisakhi, because it just so happens that Guru Ji chose vaisakhi as the date to found the Khalsa.

Therefore, hindus, muslims, and so forth likely celebrate vaisakhi for that reason... To say vaisakhi is an exclusively Sikh Holiday probably isn't accurate, and since many many many punjabis operated their own khet back in the homeland, vaisakhi to non-sikhs still holds some significance..just not the same as it does for us..

I think it would probably be most responsible to somehow see if TWO posters could be made... one showing the Sikh aspect... and one depicting the cutural aspect... because Vaisakhi is AT LEAST as much cultural as it is reilgious...

i await to be shot down, cuz i don't think this will be a very popular viewpoint haha

well.. to be fair..

vaisaakh is the beginning of the month of harvest, and therefore a very joyous point of the year for farmers, because this is when they earn their money to feed their families for the rest of the year, basically..

vaisakhi existed long before sikhism, and it's known that there have been "vaisakhi melas" celebrating the arrival of this season.. before Guru Nanak blessed this world, farmers still celebrated the coming of Vaisaakh.....

in other words.. The Sikh persective of Vaisakhi is quite different from the cultural perspective of vaisakhi, because it just so happens that Guru Ji chose vaisakhi as the date to found the Khalsa.

Therefore, hindus, muslims, and so forth likely celebrate vaisakhi for that reason... To say vaisakhi is an exclusively Sikh Holiday probably isn't accurate, and since many many many punjabis operated their own khet back in the homeland, vaisakhi to non-sikhs still holds some significance..just not the same as it does for us..

I think it would probably be most responsible to somehow see if TWO posters could be made... one showing the Sikh aspect... and one depicting the cutural aspect... because Vaisakhi is AT LEAST as much cultural as it is reilgious...

i await to be shot down, cuz i don't think this will be a very popular viewpoint haha

thas very interesting!! i never knew that...

yeh... i understand wha ur sayin... buh the ting is.. when i was talkin to my manager, she was tellin mi dat she got an e-mail from the head office kinda givin a brief outline bout baisakhi... n she was readin it to mi n it was talkin bout it bein a SIKH religious holiday, to celebrate the Sikh new year...

i kno wha u mean bout the MONTH of Vaisakh... buh on that one particular day, i's known to be the Sikh New Year... the poster was put up specifically to commemorate the Sikhi Baisakhi...

tha's basically the reason i had it taken down, cuz it wasn't a representation of the Sikh tradition..

buh i kno wha ur sayin, n ur nah wrong .. okay putt? :umm: