MERRY XMAS?

Personally, i do not think it is appropriate for us to go around saying Merry Xmas to our Sikh brothers and sisters.

WHY?

- What is the purpose of Xmas? If we are wishing merry xmas to each other, that means we are wishing them happiness that it's christmas...

When we wish someone Happy Vaisakhi, what do we mean. We say it because we celebrate the meaning of Vaisakhi and we 'practise' it. We are Sikhs of Guru Sahib and have taken Amrit or intend to take it and follow reht.

Guru jee does not mention anything about Christianity, or anything xmas related to be proud of.

Guru jee also mentions that we are neither muslim nor hindu.

I.e. we are only Sikhs. Guru jee also says that we must not believe or practise their holy books.

- Xmas like other celebrations (easter etc) are non-Sikhi.

- Why do we wish each other happy xmas, are you going to bring a turkey home to celebrate? Do we support their practise?

- If we all want to look at xmas as just a bit of fun then why didnt Guru Sahib jee consider it?

- If we greet each other merry xmas, we are showing gaurai that we are no longer unique and that Sikhi has no meaning of its own.

- If we greet each other merry xmas, are we also going to go Church to pay our respects?

- Other faiths can attend our Guru Kar (Gurudwara Sahib), but Guru jee didnt ever say that we should learn from them and practise their ways. They are supposed to conform with our ways once they enter Guru jee's door...this means to at least not have drunk alcohol, smoke and must cover their heads and remove their shoes.

- Guru jee says to keep good sangat..and at the same

time to not discriminate against others. But Guru jee did not say to practise their ways.

- Rahnee Rahai Soee Sikh Meraa

- If we can wish each other Merry Xmas, then we can also wish them Happy Eid, Happy Easter, Happy Diwali (thats hindu version), Happy Rakhri...and the list can go on.

But we wouldnt wish anyone Happy Eid, because we do not support the animals slaughter or their fasting rituals etc.

- Are we also going to distribute xmas cards to each other?

Then maybe we should also distribute eid cards too.

- The more we act like gaurai, we only walk away from Guru Sahib jee. We are not sent to earth as Sikhs to please others, but only to do what Guru Sahib jee expects of us.

- If xmas holiday period is a time when families get together, then why not say happy vacation, or happy new year, or happy Gurpurb. I think these are most appropriate.

- Hanjee we are not muslims and no one is a kafir to us, but Guru Sahib jee did not give us the green light to accept other religions practises. But are to keep strict to our reht only and keep Guru jee's door open to anyone who wishes to follow the Sikhi path in any way. Otherwise we accept other peoples faith by giving them respect, not by showing we approve or practise them.

- By saying Merry Xmas it does not mean we are following that associated religion, but it does mean that you are giving approval of the meaning and practise carried out of it.

If we want to say things like merry xmas, then one day we might as well start making toasts when having a drink, i.e. when people hit their glasses of drink together and say cheers.

The point is, we are to be GURmat and not MANmat. Greeting other sikhs with Merry Xmas, serves no purpose to Sikhi. Instead Guru jee says how saying GurFateh to another Sikh is expected and saluting in that manner is of Virtue. This way, we repeat vaheguru, and praise vaheguru jee at the same time and thus we initiate the Chardee Kalaa in each other.

Waheguroo Jee Ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo Jee Kee Fateh!!

Yes, but wouldnt be no harm saying it to a friend who is christian.....i wish my fellow sikhs Happy Nanak-Mas, Happy Angad-Mas, Happy Amar Das-Mas, Happy Ram Das-Mas, Happy Arjan-Mas, Happy Hargobind-Mas, Happy Har Rai-Mas, Happy Har Krishan-Mas, Happy Tegh Bahadur-Mas, and finally Happy Gobind-Mas :e:

Who said we shouldn't say it to Christians? the turbanator even said there is no harm in saying it to a friend who is Christian.

What I'm saying is that the GURDWARA, which is supposed to represent Sikhs, is remembering the holidays of another religion when our own religion has its own, just as important holidays! Guru Gobind Singh Jee's Gurpurab is just around the corner from Christmas, not to mention all the shaheeds around this time.

There's absolutely nothing with wishing Christians a Merry Christmas. There is no double standard here.

guys x-mas for me is important because its a time of yr that both my parents are off from work 2gether and we have lots of familly come from around 2 stay with us....its a familly occasion for ppl living in the western world...tha's why i love x-mas

new yrs...well its our yr 2 we do live in the world where this yr system exists