Do You Think It’s Wrong To Celebrate People’s Birthday?

Guest Gupt Singhni

Celebration of Birthdays  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Think It?s Wrong To Celebrate People?s Birthday?

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally believe it is wrong because we should be only celebrating Guru Ji’s birthday.

and whats wrong with personally celebrating ones life, and why do you think its only right to celebrate the Gurus birthday?

Sorry am asking this cos I dont see any logic behind your question. Its a man made concept that you should celebrate your life i.e. Birthday, its up to you if you want to celebrate it, go ahead, if you dont, then dont, its up to each individual, its not criminal or offensive to celebrate or even for that matter illegal.

However...celebrating your birthday in a traditional Sikh way having langar and remembering to pray to God (as an example) for this good life and that your still living to see another day is a good thing!

Guest Gupt Singhni
I personally believe it is wrong because we should be only celebrating Guru Ji’s birthday.

... why do you think its only right to celebrate the Gurus birthday?

Firstly should not have 'singh' in your name if thats what you can say about your father and the one who gave you sikhi. Without Guru Ji you would not even have a human sikhi life. Only Guru Ji's birthday is worth celebrating. In one of Guru Gobind Singh Ji's commandments it has been said to celebrate all of the Guru's birthdays.

However...celebrating your birthday in a traditional Sikh way having langar and remembering to pray to God (as an example) for this good life and that your still living to see another day is a good thing!

But you should be remembering to pray to God everyday and every second for this good life. You can die anyday.

VJKK VJKF

The same money can be put to a good cause and their is no logic behind celebrating birthdays. For me its just another day. What exactly are we celebrating?? Celebrating that 1 year of our life has been wasted in manmukhi activities ??

The people who celebrate birthdays with defend saying there is nothing wrong with that and those who think its nothing but wasting money will vote against celebrating. There is no point arguing over such petty issues but remember always better things can be done on birthdays. Helping the needy, making donations etc.

Firstly should not have 'singh' in your name if thats what you can say about your father and the one who gave you sikhi. Without Guru Ji you would not even have a human sikhi life. Only Guru Ji's birthday is worth celebrating. In one of Guru Gobind Singh Ji's commandments it has been said to celebrate all of the Guru's birthdays.

But you should be remembering to pray to God everyday and every second for this good life. You can die anyday.

VJKK VJKF

Thats new to me that one of the commandments is to celebrate a Gurus Birthday, where is the reference?

Again, celebrating a birthday is not illegal, its not a sin, its not commiting any of the 5 vices, its just plain celebrating your birthday e.g. Langar or akhand path, just to say to GOD that how thankful you are for these long years as a bear minimum, of course you should remember him all the time as you say.

So my question is...What is wrong for celebrating another humans birthday? Because I dont see anything wrong with it just that its man made concept or isnt a logical solution cos ur getting older not younger, but its not WRONG to celebrate in my opinion, and I asked my colleagues who some of them are proper SIKHS, they dont find anything wrong with it. hmmmm!

Guest Gupt Singhni
The same money can be put to a good cause and their is no logic behind celebrating birthdays. For me its just another day. What exactly are we celebrating?? Celebrating that 1 year of our life has been wasted in manmukhi activities ??

The people who celebrate birthdays with defend saying there is nothing wrong with that and those who think its nothing but wasting money will vote against celebrating. There is no point arguing over such petty issues but remember always better things can be done on birthdays. Helping the needy, making donations etc.

Thank you BANDAR. thumbs_up.gif #1

My point is mr BANDAR ji, is it illegal or a SIN or a vice to celebrate a birthday? I personally dont celebrate mine I dont even care less at all, but I think the word 'WRONG' in this context isnt correct, because it doesnt cause any harm to celebrate.

How ever I do share your idea that it is not logical, but logical and wrong are both different words, all I am saying is that a birthday celebration isnt wrong but its not logical.

Guest Gupt Singhni

VJKK VJKF

Thats new to me that one of the commandments is to celebrate a Gurus Birthday, where is the reference?

Again, celebrating a birthday is not illegal, its not a sin, its not commiting any of the 5 vices, its just plain celebrating your birthday e.g. Langar or akhand path, just to say to GOD that how thankful you are for these long years as a bear minimum, of course you should remember him all the time as you say.

So my question is...What is wrong for celebrating another humans birthday? Because I dont see anything wrong with it just that its man made concept or isnt a logical solution cos ur getting older not younger, but its not WRONG to celebrate in my opinion, and I asked my colleagues who some of them are proper SIKHS, they dont find anything wrong with it. hmmmm!

REHAT

dsmI Awid gurU idn jyqy purb smwn khy hYN qyqy ] iqn myN kCu prswd bnwvY kr kVwh ^wlsy KuAwvY ]

dhasamee aadh guroo dhin jaethae purab samaan kehae hai(n) thaethae || thin mae(n) kashh parasaadh banaavai kar karraah khhaalasae khuaavai ||

When a recognised Gurpurab day comes One should make the sacred Parshaad and give it to fellow Sikhs.

Rehatnama Bhai Desa Singh

GURBANI

Bwie Bgq gurpurb kr nwm dwn ieSnwn idRVwXw]

bhaae bhagath gurapurab kar naam dhaan eishanaan dhrirraayaa||

Now being full of loving devotion they celebrate the gurprubs (anniversaries of the Gurus) and their acts of rememberance of God, charity and holy ablutions, inspire others also.

---

Its your own choice if you want to celebrate your birthday. I only gave my opinion about it and wanted to know others.