Langar Hall Rules

What are the specific rules regarding the langar hall?

From what what I understand is that it is encouraged that the people in the lanagr should talk to one another in general conversation.

Also I know we have to sit in rows that are on the same level, and in modern times the langar food is now served as lacto-vegetarian. But are there any other rules?

From what what I understand is that it is encouraged that the people in the lanagr should talk to one another in general conversation.

not really...if theres something which needs to be said, then by all means go n say it. but we shouldn't talk just for the sake of talking.

gaalhee al palaaleeaa ka(n)m n aavehi mith ||1||

Useless talk and babbling is useless, my friend.

other general rules...

keep your head covered at all times

dont wear shoes

make sure your hands are clean when doing ANY kind of seva

not really...if theres something which needs to be said, then by all means go n say it. but we shouldn't talk just for the sake of talking.

I disagree.

When the Guru's established the institution of Langar, I believe they wanted the different social classes to talk and get to know each other.

When most normal civilised cultured people of the world sit together for a meal, they don't do so in silence, but they have a meal in a social setting were the participants interact with each other and find out how they are feeling and getting on in life, etc, etc. I believe the same applies for Lanagr, were there is a situation were the upper richer classes can get to know how the lower working classes are getting on.

Langar is there in a way to combat snobbishness. This does not work when you don't interact with people from different social strata.

I disagree.

fair enough.

Langar is there in a way to combat snobbishness. This does not work when you don't interact with people from different social strata.

just because you dont talk much, doesnt mean you are a snob....might just be quiet by nature

I believe the same applies for Lanagr, were there is a situation were the upper richer classes can get to know how the lower working classes are getting on.

this is the point.

there are no rich upper classes and 'low' working classes.

once you come to the langar, all of this is eliminated.

When the Guru's established the institution of Langar, I believe they wanted the different social classes to talk and get to know each other.

repeated from previous post:

Useless talk and babbling is useless, my friend. ||1||

a further example:

gaalhee biaa vikaar naanak dhhanee vihooneeaa ||1||

Other talk is corrupt, O Nanak, except that of the Lord Master. ||1||

yet another:

ghatt parachaa kee baath nirodhhahu ||

Refrain from that talk which attracts the heart.

and....

bak bak vaadh chalaaeiaa bin naavai bikh jaan ||1||

Talking too much, one only starts arguments. Without the Name, everything is poison - know this well. ||1||

please read the following:

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/results.asp?T...571,37442,56663

maybe Guru Sahib just wants to say we all come from the same place:

man thoo(n) joth saroop hai aapanaa mool pashhaan ||

O my mind, you are the embodiment of the Divine Light - recognize your own origin.

sorry if i have taken the Gurbani out of context or if i have quoted you out of context

that was not my intention, let me know if this is the case.

bhul chuk maaf

waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh!!

I disagree.

fair enough.

just because you dont talk much, doesnt mean you are a snob....might just be quiet by nature

I believe the same applies for Lanagr, were there is a situation were the upper richer classes can get to know how the lower working classes are getting on.

this is the point.

there are no rich upper classes and 'low' working classes.

once you come to the langar, all of this is eliminated.

repeated from previous post:

Useless talk and babbling is useless, my friend. ||1||

a further example:

gaalhee biaa vikaar naanak dhhanee vihooneeaa ||1||

Other talk is corrupt, O Nanak, except that of the Lord Master. ||1||

yet another:

ghatt parachaa kee baath nirodhhahu ||

Refrain from that talk which attracts the heart.

and....

bak bak vaadh chalaaeiaa bin naavai bikh jaan ||1||

Talking too much, one only starts arguments. Without the Name, everything is poison - know this well. ||1||

please read the following:

http://www.sikhitothemax.com/results.asp?T...571,37442,56663

maybe Guru Sahib just wants to say we all come from the same place:

man thoo(n) joth saroop hai aapanaa mool pashhaan ||

O my mind, you are the embodiment of the Divine Light - recognize your own origin.

sorry if i have taken the Gurbani out of context or if i have quoted you out of context

that was not my intention, let me know if this is the case.

bhul chuk maaf

waheguru jee ka khalsa, waheguru jee kee fateh!!

To all the forum readers,

If in the langar hall someone you don't like the look of, or you think is a bit beneath you in the social status, sits next to you then to prevent yourself from interacting with them, just start repeating VaheGuru..VaheGuru.

This has two advantages.

1. You don't talk to that pikey.
  2. You make yourself look religious amonst the langar hall sangat.

Then after you finished your langar you can leave the hall without even having interacted with that pikey not knowing that in fact he is the same as you and you could of made a good friendship there.

Oh well at least you looked poius in front of the other people.

rolleyes.gif

Bhai sahib,

if I sit to have my langar and dont talk to the person next to me, it is not because I want to look good in front of others or I dont like the look of that person. I simply normally do not do so because we shoudnt really be striking up conversations with people whilst eating langar in the gurdwara while there is bani/keertan to listen to. Personally I dont feel that I need to talk to someone to make myself acknowledge the fact that we are all equals- I can just simply say fateh and by sitting at the same level as everyone it is well established that we can sit together as one and eat guru ji's langar... in my opinion idol talk is not necessary to achieve this.

I see your point, I think you mean to do gurmat veechar etc and integrate as gursikhs right? Well this is not frowned upon. If a bibi came up to me wanting to discuss gurmat issues in the langar hall- I would be more than happy to do such veechar. But I agree with _anon_ that we should refrain from idol chit chat and not talk about things that do not help our relationship with guru get stronger. Our breath is only going to go in vain that way.

Everyone's sikhi is different, we are all at different levels of understanding. I have only given my opinion and you have yours. I am not right and you are not wrong. Do what your conscience allows you to do... peace be with you my brother.

Vaheguru ji ka khalsa Vaheguru ji ki fateh