Karra Issues

Guest Singh from London

Guest Singh from London

Hello all,

I'm a Sikh male based in London. I've been having problems with the 'karra' for quite a few years now. No matter what karra I wear my skin reacts to it and starts giving a rash of some sort. It really gets messed up.

For this reason I have not worn a karra or any other bracelet for some time. At first I thought the inside may not be clean and germs may be contributing to it. I tried cleansing it on a regular basis but still no success.

Then someone suggested applying oil to my arm where the karra sits. Still nothing.

Physically my body is unable to tolerate the karra for any period longer than two hours.

I spoke to some other sikh dude the other day and he goes:

'pray.. yeah it'll be better'..

I mean.. COME ON! I'M LITERALLY ON THE VERGE OF HAVING MY SKIN LEFT WITH TERRIBLE DISEASE-LIKE SCARS I'M BEING TOLD TO PRAY!

Anyway,

I'm soon going to be trying out the full sikh lifestyle with the 5K's. The karra is one of the components & whereever you look it comes up time and time again.. steel bangle.

I was wondering if:

a) are wooden karra's availible?

b) can you wear that when taking amrit?

Sorry if I come across as being disrespectful or if I accidently said something which offended someone. I'm just really vexed at the moment.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Akirtghan

kara has be made of loha, but u can keep one in your pocket if wearing is giving you that rash

jassa raised a good point, go talk to punj payarey :lol:

hmmmm wear that karra in ur other arm for few days and see if problem is there in other arm to .... and if not u can tell punj peyare about ur problem .... and i think they will allow u to wear karra in left arm ... if u explain them

Guest Guest

The kara has to be sarbloh (iron) - try a few different ones eventually you will find one that doesn't react with your skin in the same way.

If worst comes to worst, I heard the recommendation somewhere else of applying some nail varnish to the inside of your Kara. That will stop the metal reacting with the skin. I don't think that is ideal but am guessing it would be better than no Kara at all!

Guest Guest

I've spoken to the doctor but all he ever does is give me a cream. I havnt tried sarbloh. I've just tried any random karra that came in my way. Usually they are steel.

Panj pyare - are they only availible @ Vaisakhi or does every gurdwara have them around all the time?

Thank you for you're replies so far.

bruv try gettin a really thin and light 1. or wear like 1 ov those sweat bands underneath. soz that i cant be more helpful. ive also seen sum singhs wearing the kara around the bak of the kirpan on there gatra if u kno wat i mean. but im not sure if that acceptable. think the idea is to wear it on ur wrist. speak to panj pyare anyway, they will advise u. jus go gurdwara, ask for advice of granthi or sum1.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!

The punj pyarai are any 5 trusted, honorable amritdhari gursikhs. I'm sure you should be able to find a few of them to give you advice.

But yeah, I would recommend staying away from the steel ones if they cause problems and using the pure iron (sarbloh) ones. And then again, there are different quality ones. Some are basically raw iron, others are polished: each of these may make a difference for rashes and stuff.

Waheguroo jee ka Khalsa!

Waheguroo jee kee Fateh!