Giani Gurbaksh Singh Take Committee To Court.

Bundha

A Sikh priest has been awarded more than £17,000 by a tribunal after he accused his Leeds temple of underpaying him.

Gurbax Singh was suspended from duties for eight months after complaining that he'd been underpaid by the board running the Ramgarhia temple in Chapeltown Road, Sheepscar.

An employment tribunal has found that he was only suspended by the committee because he'd spoken out.

It found that he had been underpaid, despite the board denying it.

In its written judgement, the tribunal board concludes that £6,500 should be awarded as compensation to the priest, as it says: "It is a serious matter for a priest to be deprived the opportunity to follow his vocation for a period of some eight months. We also have regard to the inevitable effect on the claimant's reputation."

The total awarded to Mr Singh – including compensation and loss of pay – is £17,033.

Speaking to the YEP, Mr Singh, 55, of Stainbeck Road, Meanwood, said: "I feel I have received justice. I feel like I have been victimised by my employers for a long time. My loss of earnings and injury to feelings by suspending me as they have done; I feel like they have done so much damage."

Mr Singh, who had worked as a priest at the temple since 1984, raised concerns over a shortfall in wages since 2003.

The tribunal found "overwhelming evidence" that a pay agreement was struck in July 2002 which would see Mr Singh getting £140 a week. The committee had denied this, and proceeded to pay Mr Singh at £125 a week. When he raised the issue, Mr Singh was suspended on full pay in September 2006. A letter from the board to Mr Singh stated that the suspension was "pending the resolution of the disputes between you and the Ramargarhia Board or until further notice." It added: "This suspension is a neutral act and not part of any disciplinary process."

The tribunal found that the only reason for this suspension was because he raised concerns over his pay.

During his suspension, the tribunal also heard that he missed out on 'offerings' which are donations usually shared between priests.

President of the committee Jagir Singh Sohanpal said they would be appealing against the tribunal's decision.

He told the YEP: "We are in talks with solicitors to take this to appeal.Mr Singh was not underpaid.

"He was suspended because he was not doing his duties. We asked him to produce time sheets which he never did. "

Giani Ji has actually done some great work at the gurdwara. He started kirtan classes for children and is very well respected by the sangat.

time sheets!!! good joke.

President of the committee Jagir Singh Sohanpal said they would be appealing against the tribunal's decision.

He told the YEP: "We are in talks with solicitors to take this to appeal.Mr Singh was not underpaid.

"He was suspended because he was not doing his duties. We asked him to produce time sheets which he never did. "