Hindu Sikh Wedding

Guest _lucky_

Guest _lucky_

I recently started visiting this site to get more knowledge on Sikhism I am not overly religious guy but do believe in God. I go Gurdwara when I can. Recently I read that only Sikhs can get married in a Gurdwara. Me and my girlfriend are getting married soon and she is happy to have a Sikh wedding.

Recent events have how ever started to scare me that people out there object to this so strongly we are now considering just having a court marriage or even the Hindu one. Would it be permitted for me to get married in a Hindu temple if Gurdwara is not the right place cause my wife is a Hindu?

is this what sikhism is really about? to hate others?

Having anand Karaj is not a blind ritual, there is a meaning behind it. Those who follow the teachings of our gurus should be allowed to have anand karaj and by Rehat Maryada of Akal Takht "Inter religious marriages are not supported". I am not going to discuss your situation because i don't want to get into somebody's personal family situation.

is this what sikhism is really about? to hate others?

Where it shows that we hate others? It's simple set of rehat adopted and researched by our bharam giyanis and its the hukam of our gurus to follow the orders of Akal Takht. I think veerjee, you need to do research on Sikhism to find the answer of your own question.

Guest Akirtghan

i duno why it is so hard for people old enough to be married to understand this. its quite a simple thing really.

two people get married, they follow different faiths/religions/philosophy...... perhaps these 2 individuals can respect each other's views and thats all nice n good. next, they have kids, NOW is where the problem starts. which path will the kids follow?? grin.gif kids these days are very clever, how will you satisfy their curiosity about contradicting philosophy of 2 paths.

taking your example, i'll just touch on one simple point. hindu religion is based on idol worship, good for them. idol worship is STRONGLY codemned in sikhi, you see where this is going????

incase you didnt think about this. you are going to be spending the REST OF YOUR LIFE with this person. marraige is a very complicated relationship to begin with and by marrying outside of your religion you are putting extra stress on it from the get go. forget having problems later on.

incase you didnt realize, this will only apply to a person who practices their religion with devotion and love. if someone is sikh/hindu/mulsim/christian/jew...... by birth or by name only then it won't matter.

as SINGH mentioned above, its not about hate, its about understanding life.

PS. if you were a hindu marrying a sikh, i would tell you to marry a hindu instead :umm:

this person just came looking for answers...no need to reply rudely..

he even said he just wants to learn more..how ever his findings were profound..

well my friend...i have one of my family members in your situation..well they already got married and now have 3 kids..

the problem really didnt arise when the marriage happened but when the kids came...instead of being Sikh...the kids were simply like no sikhi is "hard"...we don't want to keep our hair, we want to eat meat and cut our hair and rather goto mandirs....and maybe once in a while goto gurdwaras when invited to akhand pahts/weddings. and it was difficult for the parents...well espeically the sikh one...now when he wants to learn more about sikhi...he won't be able to share it with his kids...since they have grown and now live independalty

but...sikhi does not tolerate hate you cannot just make assumptions cuz people said so...you research sikhi and you find your answers..don't find them from people...

get married..maybe just sitting infront of guru sahib will change your life.