Jago Miami?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

www.jagomiami.com ?

looks like a bunch of *edited* to me,,

dey serve meat, have parties, have no daily Nitnem and dey call it a "sikh conference"

*edited* dey should be callin it "Annual Punjabi Fashion Show Mela"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

there r sikhs in miami? grin.gif

www.jagomiami.com ?

looks like a bunch of *edited* to me,,

dey serve meat, have parties, have no daily Nitnem and dey call it a "sikh conference"

*edited* dey should be callin it "Annual Punjabi Fashion Show Mela"

Guest Guest

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

I live in Florida and I go to the Miami Gurudwara. I also think its sad that the "Jago Conference" doesn't have Nitnem on their schedule. If this conference is supposed to be an "awakening", then why isnt there a Sikh Rehat enforced? We should be joining people on the correct path to Sikhi.

Bhull Chuk Maaf.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Guest Guest

Yes they serve meat.

Yes there are sikhs in miami.

They have had daily nitnem in the past ( + asa di vaar last year)- but this year they do not- like other conferences in the USA.

Yes it should be called Annual Punjabi Fashion Show Mela or something

I don't know if you have been to jago or if you are intuitive enough to get that from the site- but you are 100% correct.

Guest Guest
Well I know there are Sikhs in Florida. My friends live there. Two of the Singhnis tie dastaars. I know one of my friends helps with Jago. I wouldn't call it a "Annual Punjabi Fashion Show Mela". Last year they had Sukha Singh from UK there.

ovcourse sukha goes to punjabi melas. sukha being there is niot suumtin to brag about. srsly hope gursikhs don't let dis happen

Guest Guest
Well I know there are Sikhs in Florida. My friends live there. Two of the Singhnis tie dastaars. I know one of my friends helps with Jago. I wouldn't call it a "Annual Punjabi Fashion Show Mela". Last year they had Sukha Singh from UK there.

please karan, dont associate us with the jago conference notme.gif

just kidding

but seriously- how about some of you gursikhs come and shakeup things ohmy.gif )

In the last two years, theres been daily Nitnem, including Asa Ki // last year.

The workshops are focussed on Gurbani.

This year, the Divan Hall will be opened for those individuals that choose to do their Nitnem, and it will be followed by kirtan programs daily.

I strongly encourage you guys to do some research and/or talk to the organizers before you make assumptions; rather than bashing the conference through online forums.

Guest Guest

In the last two years "sikhs" use the conference as an excuse to go clubbing and partying where many of them drink. i went the previous year and that was all that was going on. last year a group of guys (2 of which were roommates with a friend of mine) repeatedly went to strip clubs throughout the conference. The attendance at nitnem was low (according to the diwan organizers only about 5 people would ever show up for nitnem, out of 100) as was the attendance at many of the "gurbani based lectures". Most food served had eggs or meat in them, and at some snack times there was no other choice except egg laden cakes and cookies.

Jago Miami is not the correct environment for a Gursikh. It is for sikhs whose religion is one they were born into and gives them, not for practicing amritdhari sikhs.. last year there was only two or three amritdhari sikhs out of 100. I practice daily nitnem but because of peer pressure and my roommates coming in at 3am most nights i was doing my nitnem at 10am at times. I urge gursikhs to better spend their time going to kirtan diwans, samagams and youth camps like kaurs united.

Not to mention their gurbani speakers. The first year Harjinder Singh (the "star" speaker of this year) bashed two amazing gori singhnis who were discussing relationships. He has a lot of knowledge but not a lot of love.

If it really was "JAGO miami" they'd promote taking amrit, keeping your kes, 5-K's, doing their nitnem, teaching the gurus teachings instead of throwing seemingly expensive banquets on boats and they need to hold topics like how to be an effective SIKH before they even think of leadership.

I wrote quite a few suggestions last year but Jago doesn't want to change from a social scene.

Pul Chuk Maaf

Vahgeurooo ji ka khalsa, Vahegurooo Ji Ki Fateh!

This year, the Divan Hall will be opened for those individuals that choose to do their Nitnem, and it will be followed by kirtan programs daily.

I strongly encourage you guys to do some research and/or talk to the organizers before you make assumptions; rather than bashing the conference through online forums.

Gur Phatah!

It was very disheartening for my friend to read your post. My friend is a conference organizer and I am letting him reply on my account.

As a conference organizer and as a Sikh, I am deeply saddened to hear of the events that you mentioned in your post. This is honestly the first time, I have heard such events. We limit the age groups to 18-35. We hope that as adults people would respect the mission of the conference and not participate in such utterly demeaning and grotesque events. I wish somebody would have told one of the organizers or me, those individuals would have been kicked out that instant.

I hope that you are not judging the character of Harinder Singh based on one lecture the first year. Harinder veerji has totally dedicated his life to Sikhi. I have spent a lot of time with him and see nothing but love and respect pouring out of him. In Harinder veerji's defense, the speakers you were talking about made some very controversial statements. Do you not agree?

The meat issue. I sincerely apologize for not having enough vegetarian food and snacks. This is our fault and we will ensure that this will not happen in the future.

I am extremely sorry for your bad experience. I hope that you accept our sincere apologies. Also, could you please private message me the names of those individuals who participated in the events you mentioned. The south florida donates quite a bit of their hard earned money to have people take advantage and use the subsidized hotel costs for those types of uses. If you pm this account with the names, I will ensure people like those do not attend the conference!

Again I apologize for your experience

In the last two years "sikhs" use the conference as an excuse to go clubbing and partying where many of them drink. i went the previous year and that was all that was going on. last year a group of guys (2 of which were roommates with a friend of mine) repeatedly went to strip clubs throughout the conference. The attendance at nitnem was low (according to the diwan organizers only about 5 people would ever show up for nitnem, out of 100) as was the attendance at many of the "gurbani based lectures". Most food served had eggs or meat in them, and at some snack times there was no other choice except egg laden cakes and cookies.

Jago Miami is not the correct environment for a Gursikh. It is for sikhs whose religion is one they were born into and gives them, not for practicing amritdhari sikhs.. last year there was only two or three amritdhari sikhs out of 100. I practice daily nitnem but because of peer pressure and my roommates coming in at 3am most nights i was doing my nitnem at 10am at times. I urge gursikhs to better spend their time going to kirtan diwans, samagams and youth camps like kaurs united.

Not to mention their gurbani speakers. The first year Harjinder Singh (the "star" speaker of this year) bashed two amazing gori singhnis who were discussing relationships. He has a lot of knowledge but not a lot of love.

If it really was "JAGO miami" they'd promote taking amrit, keeping your kes, 5-K's, doing their nitnem, teaching the gurus teachings instead of throwing seemingly expensive banquets on boats and they need to hold topics like how to be an effective SIKH before they even think of leadership.

I wrote quite a few suggestions last year but Jago doesn't want to change from a social scene.

Pul Chuk Maaf

Vahgeurooo ji ka khalsa, Vahegurooo Ji Ki Fateh!