Jago Miami?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
In the last two years "sikhs" use the conference as an excuse to go clubbing and partying where many of them drink. i went the previous year and that was all that was going on. last year a group of guys (2 of which were roommates with a friend of mine) repeatedly went to strip clubs throughout the conference. The attendance at nitnem was low (according to the diwan organizers only about 5 people would ever show up for nitnem, out of 100) as was the attendance at many of the "gurbani based lectures". Most food served had eggs or meat in them, and at some snack times there was no other choice except egg laden cakes and cookies.

Jago Miami is not the correct environment for a Gursikh. It is for sikhs whose religion is one they were born into and gives them, not for practicing amritdhari sikhs.. last year there was only two or three amritdhari sikhs out of 100. I practice daily nitnem but because of peer pressure and my roommates coming in at 3am most nights i was doing my nitnem at 10am at times. I urge gursikhs to better spend their time going to kirtan diwans, samagams and youth camps like kaurs united.

Not to mention their gurbani speakers. The first year Harjinder Singh (the "star" speaker of this year) bashed two amazing gori singhnis who were discussing relationships. He has a lot of knowledge but not a lot of love.

If it really was "JAGO miami" they'd promote taking amrit, keeping your kes, 5-K's, doing their nitnem, teaching the gurus teachings instead of throwing seemingly expensive banquets on boats and they need to hold topics like how to be an effective SIKH before they even think of leadership.

I wrote quite a few suggestions last year but Jago doesn't want to change from a social scene.

Pul Chuk Maaf

Vahgeurooo ji ka khalsa, Vahegurooo Ji Ki Fateh!

-----------------------------------------------------

Great post. I couldn't agree more. Jago could be something amazing. But it hasn't evolved yet and they haven't decided that they want to be something bigger than a social scene. Perhaps next year they will finally grow up? They are usually worried about numbers and getting people to go down to Florida. Maybe next year the focus will shift, gursikh rehit will be kept and the south florida sangat's money won't be used to plump up people with more meat. Maybe the organizers will genuinely heed advice given and turn it into an actual "Jago" instead of exploiting the name. Money wasted on cruises and such crap could be used for genuine sewa. One can only hope.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

A word of advice for those making personal attacks on certain individuals: If you feel the need to air other peoples dirty laundry, be ready to have your own paraded around aswel!!!

Guest Narinder Singh
Benti to Sangat: Please no more discussions on whether meat is right or wrong. Lets not go off track of the original post. Thank You!

Accepted, now also delete the posts written against the eating of meat please. =)

Fateh.

Guest Guest
I suggest Gursikhs to attend Jago. When amongst the right sangat, people get inspired. :WW: :WW:

i suggest Jago get "Gursikh friendly"

add nitnem to the agenda

Guest Guest
I suggest Gursikhs to attend Jago. When amongst the right sangat, people get inspired. :WW: :WW:

add nitnem to the agenda

I agree..

Guest Guest

add nitnem to the agenda

I agree..

Nitnem is a very personal thing. Some like to recite it quickly others like to recite it at a slower pace. Some like to recite it in different tones. The last two years we have been getting feedback that as a group we are either going too fast or too slowly. The first year was too slow the second year was too fast. It is a very personal thing. Those who did not like the pace that had been set, ended up not coming in the morning for nitnem and ended up doing it individually the past two years. Our opportunities to be with the sangat are precious. Therefore, we have decided to start the kirtan program a little later and leave the divan room open at all times so whoever wishes to do Nitnem can come do it at any time at their own pace and liking. Hopefully then everybody will attend the kirtan program.

Guest Guest

Any Bani is ten times more inspiring when done in the Sangat. Although you say Nitnem is personal, those who believe the Nitnem is going too fast/slow should go do it on there own. But since this is a "Gurmat Conference" Nitnem shouldnt be taken out of the whole schedule. Thats where theres a problem. Thats wrong.

Guest Guest

add nitnem to the agenda

I agree..

Nitnem is a very personal thing. Some like to recite it quickly others like to recite it at a slower pace. Some like to recite it in different tones. The last two years we have been getting feedback that as a group we are either going too fast or too slowly. The first year was too slow the second year was too fast. It is a very personal thing. Those who did not like the pace that had been set, ended up not coming in the morning for nitnem and ended up doing it individually the past two years. Our opportunities to be with the sangat are precious. Therefore, we have decided to start the kirtan program a little later and leave the divan room open at all times so whoever wishes to do Nitnem can come do it at any time at their own pace and liking. Hopefully then everybody will attend the kirtan program.

HAHAHAHA Thats a bunch of BS if I ever heard any. I suppose Gurudwaras across the world should stop having Nitnem- after all sangatees may have a different pace from the people/ragis who are leading. The whole point you all are missing is that its about SADH sangat. Newsflash: kirtan is very personal two and can be very sllllllllllooow or very fast.

I've heard stuff about Jago. My guess would be its not pace thats keeping people away but lack of discipline or rehit. Anyway, how do you get up for Nitnem when you spend your evenings partying? Have your banquets, cruises. Hopefully you Jago people will have a real Jago one day.