Keeping Hair!

Sikh cutting hair  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Can a person cut hair and still be a proud sikh??

• Yes, sikhism is values, its a way of life
    • No, Sikhism means only the complete sikh way of life!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've noticed a lot of people on here have had good intentions of helping this man out, but I feel that we should look to some of the things we've been saying:

Do you think that the shaheeds that gave up their life for you to keep your sikhi saroop are a joke?

So many sikhs lost there lives, so we could be in the position that we are intoday where we can keep our kes without fear of being locked up/killed/mistreated. If you cut ur kes that will be a real shame because i can tell you this, from my experiences in life, you will regret it.

And if you can still find something to argue about after thinking about Bhai Taru Singh Jees sacrifice than you seriously need to think about how much love you have for sikhi (myself included)

Do you think that those Singhs that kept their kesh during hard times, despite knowing that they where being hunted and brutally tortured and murdured by the goverment during 1984 where a joke?

I believe the shaheeds gave up their life for themselves. Because they believed very strongly in their beliefs of keeping hair. Again, I remember that these people probably did not intend to burden future generations of mankind, but simply *were* what they believed in. I encourage the Sangat to to help this man understand why people were locked up, killed, and tortured for keeping their hair. That will be much more beneficial than trying to attack someone with guilt.

And No. It was not a joke to them. But again, I think you should just look at the faith these people have. I wouldn't say: "don't cut your hair, greater men than you have kept their hair through tougher times, suck it up you can do it too".

However, on a sidenote, I think reading these things did strengthen my belief in keeping my hair. It gave me a Sangat to associate with. But again... just saying that it is wrong to associate blindly; that it is very important to understand why some people had the faith they did. These great people led by example. We should look to their examples. Bless them.

No Singh please down cut your kesh, our panth will be short of 1 Singh who could make a whole lot of difference to our panth.

And I most definitely would not advise someone to keep their hair just so they were supporting my cause. I would rather help them understand why they should keep hair for themselves.

Also it shows us how little we think of ourselves to be affected by how other people percieve us. Why is our appearance *so* important? Why do we fail to see people for what they really are and connect with their souls and not their shaven/hairy arms/hair/legs etc????

Apparently there are also other questions that have not been answered. I'll try to help quickly with a quote I recently read:

"Consider one farmer who reaps some crops even before they are ripe, and either sells the unripe crops or feeds them to the animals. Consider another farmer who lets them become ripe and reaps a rich harvest and uses the grain wisely. Those who acquire Siddhis and use them before they are morally and spiritually mature are like the first farmer. Such people never come to the profounder experiences of contemplation of the divine Name, nor can they attain peace and contentment."

I remember, that it is good to offer advice and guidance. But I think it's wrong to look down on those whose fates are not as gifted and enlightening as mine or others.

---

I'd like to start out with a quote:

A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. But remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convinient at the time. This will not suffice. Remember that.

Remember that your sorry excuses won't hold up in the Court of God. You cannot say: Oh, but the world's petty notion of beauty was to cut your hair. Or to have a partner was something everyone was doing. In the end, the choices of your soul and mind are those of yours alone.

I'm glad you're asking for help, it means that you're at least giving the tiny voice of reason in your head a chance to grow stronger.

There are a lot of reasons that you should be keeping your hair and not cutting it. Some of the reasons include a more simpler life:

Compare the 'amount of trouble we take' to the amount of trouble and lengths others go to in order to stop their hair growing back everyday! Shaving/waxing/plucking has to be done on a regular basis. Why not just keep things simple and live happily with what you've got.

And another great reason is that it takes the doubt out of your mind:

pUrY Bwig sqguru imlY jw BwgY kw audau hoie ]

By perfect good fortune, one meets the True Guru, when one's destiny is awakened.

AMqrhu duKu BRmu ktIAY suKu prwpiq hoie ]

Suffering and doubt are cut out from within, and peace is obtained.

gur kY BwxY jo clY duKu n pwvY koie ]3]

One who walks in harmony with the Guru's Will shall not suffer in pain. ||3||

gur ky Bwxy ivic AMimRqu hY shjy pwvY koie ]

The Amrit, the Ambrosial Nectar, is in the Guru's Will. With intuitive ease, it is obtained.

ijnw prwpiq iqn pIAw haumY ivchu Koie ]

Those who are destined to have it, drink it in; their egotism is eradicated from within.

nwnk gurmuiK nwmu iDAweIAY sic imlwvw hoie ]4]13]46]

O Nanak, the Gurmukh meditates on the Naam, and is united with the True Lord. ||4||13||46||

Other great Shabads from Gurbani (I hope you read them):

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=76

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=72

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=75

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=109

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=107

If Gurbani isn't your thing, then try to understand this: God's creation is perfect. Why tamper with it by cutting your hair? It's quite egotistic of myself to think I can improve on God's design by cutting my hair.

But the idea is simple - God made us the way we are, we keep it that way. It's natural and right.

Now to simply nitpick everything you said:

"But like in real world I dont know but I am really attracted to fantasies"

I hear you, mate. I also couldn't do some roles in theater because of my dhastaar, but I could still be happy in watching theater. Try being content with simply knowing that theater will live on without you. I also had the same issue of swimming as you did, but I finally figured that out (swim caps do wonders, I can't believe it took me this long to figure it out =x). I honestly don't know what to do about deep sea diving, but I'm sure there are things you can do about it. Otherwise, forget it... why do something that clashes with your beliefs? Deep sea diving is less important than God.

What I'm also worried about is that you might have forgotten that the "real world" isn't what you're describing. The "real world" is in your mind, it's a spiritual plane of existence. It's really hard to get in that state, especially with maya pulling you away from it all the time.

"My girl friend does not want to hang out with me. And if u think I want to cut hair for her alone then I have dumped her for that."

Two things about this:

1) Relationships... a different topic.

2) How did you two get together? I'm sure you had your hair then... why even bring up the idea of hair and your girlfriend. Cutting your hair is not going to improve things with her (as you just said: if she was that shallow you would have dumped her for that. I respect you for that).

"And its like as much as we want to cover this fact but the girls really dont want to be out with us."

Hah. You're speaking from experience? You just said you're having issues with keeping your hair (I'm assuming you're debating whether or not to cut it), therefore... how'd you end up with a girl again?

And another thing, why worry about this? Don't you have more important things to worry about? Like the little voice in your head? If girls didn't exist, would you keep your hair? Think about it... There will always be excuses to cut your hair. It's hard to find the faith required to keep it, but I hope you realize how important hair really is.

"and I know lustful life is not what Guru Ji would have guided but then I am really young and I do want to enjoy my life a lot more!"

Okay. Listen to yourself:

I know I'm wrong. But I'm young, so I'm allowed to make mistakes.

Would you ever allow your child to reason like this? If you understand that a lustful life is against Sikhi, then why do you look for an excuse? How else can you possibly enjoy life a lot more with hair cut? Doing some drama? Deep sea diving? A girlfriend that supports you and reminds you that you're not alone?

All of these are cheats. Life is hard for a reason. Don't numb the pain of everyday hardships with these painkillers. Cutting your hair is going to be an aphrodisiac you take to get "better" opportunities in life and to enjoy it more.

Would you say that drinking is bad? Smoking? Why... drinking isn't bad for your health if done in moderation. And marijuana has been found to be quite beneficial in the short term. But Guru Jee told us to NOT do these things because they alter our perception on life. They make life easier to take.

This is unadvisable, because suddenly the great becomes only good and the good becomes normal. Without these hardships, my friend, you won't understand the true happiness in life.

I would redefine enjoyment, if I were in your shoes.

Gurbani Ji repeatedly only said to give importance to molarity, be humble, remember God, God is the ultimate.

You are quite smart. Now... wouldn't it be immoral for a child to go against his parents wishes and cut his hair? Would it be humble to cut your hair and gain fame and power and other high lofty titles? Would you remember God after you've cut your hair and associated all these great things (which you like to call "a better life") to your decision? I think you'd rather say "I'm a great man for having cut my hair that day, look where it has landed me!" and then you'll truly forget God. All these great things you'll achieve.. they'll go down the drain someday, then where will you be? What will you do when God asks you: "So what did you achieve, exactly?"

God IS the ultimate. Don't you dare believe you are greater than His wishes.

Take care, singh.

I pray you'll make the right decision.

PS - I apologize to the members who's posts I criticized at the top. I did not intend to be overly harsh, and I did remove names and typos so it wouldn't be overly obvious as to who wrote which quote.

Thank you so much bhajneet for taking so long and critically telling everything. thanks to everybody else too. :awesome d_oh.gif

but please dont take me wrong. The subject matter I have taken up now has been in my mind for 2 yrs now. And in these past two years I have grown weaker rather than getting stronger. I have done path everyday while my friends went to discs, hoping that I am getting the true God. And though I trust God so much now, I feel God to be standing besides me all the time. I thank him for everything he does to me. But at the same time I feel a hollowness in my life. I feel that and please no offense no hard feelings nothing but i feel, just started feeling may be that this isnt life. Life is to enjoy every moment. Life is to go for your dreams rather than saying these dreams are against the set laws. Life is to make your own pathways. If girls attract you, go for them. I mean I literally went to tears when I read that doing what I wanna do would be insult to the great kurbanis. :WW: But those were for rights. For freedom. For being what you want to be. For being right. And I also want to be what I want from myself right now. seriously this sounds great crap but I have done jabji sahib everyday for months and I didnt understand 90% of it. and now if I read it from satek, i feel why we need to do it each day. Rather we should sit back and comprehend how much we have accomplished in life, how much we look forward to change ourself and above all how much we can remember God in everything we see and we do! and I really dont believe in the fact that we need to read gurbani to become better sikhs better people. We really dont need The K's to lead the pure life. And i know I sound not just wrong but pathetic and highly frustrating. But that is what I am becoming. Someone who feels has God with him not as father or mother but as the true best friend. Gives all opportunity to live, have fun and do worldly pleasures but remember the ones who gave u this beautiful world. and be nice to your fellow beings. no undue stretching ur point pal have to learn so much from you but when you say sit back and watch drama and appreciate it, isnt drama itself a something meant for pleasure. But it does not cancels any of the set rules by Guruji so its really important part of life. but for me sikhi is to "kirat karo naam japo wand chako" and I find that if I fulfill it, I am on the path of truth as well as make my life a no compromise. If you have read all this, please 1 last thing this is all from my heart. I dont say I wanna cut hair for achiving something or I will archive instant happiness the moment I do it. Its just that I wanna shape myself into a person who takes the world the people the way it strikes me. I dumped my girl because she didnt like my looks(and she did tell it to me. We used to talk on phone while I was studying in a different city, but when I was back she was double minded with her future with me and never really go far in public with me and even though I want to cut my hair, I knew she isnt the one to tell that to me. She would have been happy if I would have told her my intentions but I never told, I am not a loser for such girls) Its just that I feel that I will live my life more contented and respect is something you have to have in your heart!!! I know I sound wrong but they seem to me like barriers in your mind. Thanks for your support. Hope to talk to you again!!

Regards

That really un-made my day.

Bhaji, you are calling yourself 'Singh' yet you've blatantly disregarded Gurbani. So if you do decide to cut your kes, IMHO I don't think it would be appropriate to call yourself a Sikh or Singh. It would be misleading to say the least.

I agree whole-heartedly.

Sikhism must not be your religion, my friend. I suggest you find one that agrees with your views on spirituality.

I hope you find peace with your "enlightened" lifestyle. Good luck.

PS - You can stop defending yourself around here. We're just trying to help, veer jee -- not attack you.

Guest peacemaker

What a bunch of CRAP! bluffmaster__singh, if you want to cut your hair and quit sikhi, the door is to your left. I wish you peace and happiness. Now what the hell is all this rambling on and on for four pages? Who really cares if one person wants to quit? Don't you DARE try and treat sikhi like a damn boot camp, Mister.

Only the strong survive and obviously, sorry to tell you, you aren't one of them. Man up and quit. Sorry to sound harsh, but talking here isn't going to solve your problems. So why waste everyone's time? I want my 5 minutes back for reading a topic by a person who is going to quit regardless of what the people here SAY!!!

What a bunch of CRAP! bluffmaster__singh, if you want to cut your hair and quit sikhi, the door is to your left. I wish you peace and happiness. Now what the hell is all this rambling on and on for four pages? Who really cares if one person wants to quit? Don't you DARE try and treat sikhi like a damn boot camp, Mister.

Only the strong survive and obviously, sorry to tell you, you aren't one of them. Man up and quit. Sorry to sound harsh, but talking here isn't going to solve your problems. So why waste everyone's time? I want my 5 minutes back for reading a topic by a person who is going to quit regardless of what the people here SAY!!!

ooo gooowaaaan Bhajii!!! one the best things u sed!!! tru storyyy

Guest Akirtghan
I have done jabji sahib everyday for months and I didnt understand 90% of it. and now if I read it from satek, i feel why we need to do it each day
as bhai pinderpal singh ji has said, a patient dont need to know nothing about the medicine they take , they just need to know that its the medicine that'll cure their sickness and take it in a timely manner by watching their diet.
Rather we should sit back and comprehend how much we have accomplished in life, how much we look forward to change ourself and above all how much we can remember God in everything we see and we do!
good strategy
I really dont believe in the fact that we need to read gurbani to become better sikhs better people. We really dont need The K's to lead the pure life
well i guess you are smarter than guru sahib. you can certainly become a better human being, but to become a better sikh one MUST read and understand bani. its not an option but a requirement
Gives all opportunity to live, have fun and do worldly pleasures
sikhi is about dying not living
but for me sikhi is to "kirat karo naam japo wand chako" and I find that if I fulfill it, I am on the path of truth as well as make my life a no compromise
incase you didint notice, those 3 steps are for all humanity not just sikhs !!!! sikhi is MUCH more than that
Its just that I feel that I will live my life more contented and respect is something you have to have in your heart!!! I know I sound wrong but they seem to me like barriers in your mind
its your life in the end