Keeping Hair!

Sikh cutting hair  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Can a person cut hair and still be a proud sikh??

• Yes, sikhism is values, its a way of life
    • No, Sikhism means only the complete sikh way of life!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guru Ji is talking about the Kirpan and yes it is important because it is one of the 5 K's Guru Ji blessed us with.

kirpan isn't even used in today's battlefield. So how can we say kirpan can be a weapon? Also, sikhs don't consider kirpan to be a weapon, but more a symbol to them. Good example of this is the whole allowing kirpans in school issue in Canada. People wanted kirpan to be banned because they said it was a weapon while sikhs said no it isn't a weapon at all.

When the 5 K's was issued the Kirpan was a part of the 5 K's because we can defend ourselves using the Kirpan and we successfully did in many battles, otherwise we wouldnt be here today.

Also in this day and age how can it not be used in self defence in everyday life, it can kill a man just like any other sword or dagger? If it was just a symbol we wouldnt be able to pull the Kirpan out of its case.

The Guru Ji blessed us with the Kirpan so we can defend ourselves and others if need be, not to wear it for show!

Please stop trying to question Guru Ji's hukum.

When the 5 K's was issued the Kirpan was a part of the 5 K's because we can defend ourselves using the Kirpan and we successfully did in many battles, otherwise we wouldnt be here today.

Also in this day and age how can it not be used in self defence in everyday life, it can kill a man just like any other sword or dagger? If it was just a symbol we wouldnt be able to pull the Kirpan out of its case.

The Guru Ji blessed us with the Kirpan so we can defend ourselves if need be, not to wear it for show!

Please stop trying to question Guru Ji's hukum.

Yeah, but in today's world, kirpan isn't even used anymore. You can't consider it to be a weapon anymore. Besides, most kirpans (or at least the ones that kids wear) aren't even shape enough to kill someone.

Sikhs still have a lot of fighting to do. Today's world, gun is one number weapon used in wars. So sikhs should own guns. If not, then they're bunch of sheeps like how Guru Gobind Singh Ji would describe them.

Ok this is gonna be my last post on this issue.

Lets look at the basic structure of the Kirpan.

kirpan4xh6.jpg

Shot with E800 at 2007-07-15

The Kirpan is very sharp and looks very similar to a combat knife which is classed as a weapon. Both can wound or kill a man, so i think its pretty safe to say, yes it is a weapon.

Like i said before though, it isnt just any weapon. It comes with Guru Ji's Kirpa so thats why the Kirpan gets treated with the upmost respect which the Kirpan deserves.

Fateh Ji :nihungsmile:

According this, kirpan isn't even used:

"This is an article of faith," the 17-year-old said. "We do not use it (the kirpan), we do not take it out. That's a restriction."

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2006/03/02/...scoc060302.html

Like I said before, in today's world, guns are used. Sikhs should own guns. There is no point of considering kirpan as a weapon anymore. It isn't even used at all.

veer ji,

the answer lies in gurbaani. I know we like to validate our spirituality by the amount we donate or the amount of respect we have for others. Gurbaani says that by making donations, putting on the robes of a saintly person, one doesn't become pure or a gurmukh. so even if you did offer 20% of your salary for a cause, howeverm the most valuable thing, you keep to yourself, your mind.

gurbaani says, sachi bhagati man tan arap, true worship is to offer the mind and body.

i'm in the same boat as you veer ji. i started keeping my hair on my head a year ago, wear a pag to work but still need to keep my dhaara. my family is all monai, and when I started wearing a pag to work, my dad was the first person to discourage me. Then i started to trim my beard only once a month and he said, man that is long, trim it.

but when i am in the hazoori of guru sahib at gurdwara, and in the sangat, my mind knows what is right. I know that i am incomplete as a sikh without kesh. and with gurbaani, you realize this. we all look for where in gurbaani it says to keep your hair. but what does offering your mind mean? it means you offer that manmat which makes you question the cosmic reality of God. It means gurmat is the foundation and core of your lifestyle. and if we truly accept gurmat, then we won't have any problems not looking "good" according to society's views. I wonder what would happen if one day the "in" look is to ahve unshorn hair. then what? what if all the hot models of tehw orld want guys with unshorn hair? who knows, the fashions changes so much and so drastically that one day this may be true. then would we all start having unshorn hair? because it is the style of the times? the interesting thing is that even during Guru sahib's times, having unshorn hair wasn't in. its not like everyone had unshorn hair back then and people had unshorn ahir anyways. if this was the case, sikhs wouldn't be told to cut their kesh or face death. so if we read sikh history we know that keeping kesh was never "in style"

i think the first step in sikhi is to stop questioning guru sahib and question ourselves. I'm personally incomplete as a sikh because i don't follow guru sahib's rehit. now it is really convenient for one to bend guru sahib's rehit so we can APPEAR complete, but who can bend the cosmic reality?

honestly bro, you won't get any answers from any other source other than gurbaani. people will put the guilt trip on you about the shaheeds, but sikhi isn't about guilt, its about love. you have to want to develop a relationship with guru sahib. the one thing that shaheedis can illustrate to us is that the power of naam and gurbaani is so powerful that one can be cut limb by limb or be scalped alive and not waver.

i kind of know how you feel. and this is the beautiful part of life. we have choices to make. god gave us a brain to think with. for some its just so plain and simple, keep rehit, done. for some, like me, we know what's right and struggle to just do it. some are completely blind, some choose to be blind.

sorry for blabbing man, good luck in whatever you decide.

peace.