Singhni?

Guest Guest

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest
Kulpreet Singh posted this on sikhsangat. Very well written!

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaa

vaaheguroojeekeefatheh !!!!!!!

some people have posted that they are 'FRUSTRATED' or upset that people use the name 'singhni' for kaur, etc. etc.

i think sometimes we get offended because we are not ourselves sure of the meanings of these names that guru sahib gave us.

the following is my big, final rant on this topic. i have been waiting a long time to write all of this and i have a strong feeling a lot of people might disagree with me.

however if you read prof. ganda singh ji's books, sirdar kapur singh ji's books, and the mahan kosh by bhai kahn singh nabha, you will see that a lot of this is true.

however i know that mistakes are inevitable and before i start i want to request my guru's blessings and sangat's blessings that i can avoid mistakes.

in my humble opinion singh means tiger

this is what it says in bhai kahn singh nabha ji's mahan kosh

he defines a singh as a tiger

singh could mean a male tiger or a female tiger

sometimes punjabi people add the feminine so it became singhni

but all khalsas are singhs - meaning they are all part of the singh family which means tigers, which is a metaphor

these metaphors means we have some quailties of those animals. it does not mean that we are 100% like them.

however tigers have stripes. these are like the good qualities of a khalsa.

even if you trim a tiger's hair all the way down to the skin, the stripes are part of them.

same for a khalsa, good qualities are in the inner core of their self. they are not one thing on the outside, and another on the inside.

the same way sher means lions. people call khalsas babbar sher because they are king of the jungle, they are widely respected.

now sometimes punjabi people use the word sherni for women.

the same way bhujangee means snake. people call khalsas bhujangee because we are swift like snakes.

now sometimes punjabi people use the word bhujangan for women

but if there is a girl and you call her bhujangee instead of bhujangan, in my humble opinion i think that's not against gurmat.

this whole gender thing doesn't exist in gurmat in my humble opinion

furthermore, kaur means king's son, not king's daughter (princess)

a lot of maharaja ranjit singh ji's sons names were Kaur (first name) Singh.

the preface of their name was Kaur, which means "prince"

just like you say "Prince Charles"

they were called Kaur Kharak Singh, Kaur Naunihal Singh, etc.

therefore, there is no masculine of Kaur (i.e. Kaura).

Kaur means prince, it is already masculine.

Guru sahib gave this name to his DAUGHTERS because they are equal to his sons.

They are his Princes.

so our guru sahib has given lots of respect to his daughters

i don't think it's an insult to call kaurs as singhnis, or singhs, or bhujangans, or bhujangees

generally there is no gender for these

we say singhs, bhujangees, khalsas - this means the whole family, males and females.

we are all one gender - JEEV EISTREE (soul bride).

there is only one "man" if you think man is a good thing. - Akaal Purakh

guru sahib never discriminated between his sons and daughters

kaur and singh are just "names of love" that guru sahib gave that we keep because they are guru sahibs STAMP.

this person is a khalsa, they took khande-ke-pahul, they are guru sahib's SINGH. they are guru sahib's KAUR.

i am a male. but i am guru sahib's singh (tiger) and guru sahib's kaur (prince).

we need to understand our own history and the grammatical / linguistic complications that we created which i don't think ever existed before.

in my humble opinion we shouldn't make such a big seperation.

these days bibian and bhai's sit on opposite sides of the gurdwara sahib. you can ask your grandparents, or your great grandparents, this is a new thing.

this has happened because of our "pink" vs. "blue" culture in america, but also because of our "anti-female children" culture in punjab

Kaur can be used by a woman or man

and Singh can be used by a woman or man.

there are many women whos SURNAME is Singh,

for example the artists from UK Amrita & Rabindra KD Kaur Singh

and as I mentioned before, one of Maharaja Ranjit Singh ji's sons names was "Kaur Naunihal Singh"

i know it TOTALLY flips our whole LEARNING upside down, but if you read history books this is true and this is our REAL history.

i have probably made a lot of mistakes. i would like to request my guru's forgiveness and the sangat's forgiveness for the mistakes that i made.

i think the resolution to this is what we have already been doing for so many years

bibian use KAUR as their middle name and bhai's use SINGH as their middle name

but people say we need a surname so it makes 100% sense that we all (something i hope to do soon) renounce our family caste, lineage,

and even become ONE instead of two genders (kaur and singh)

and adopt the Guru's family, and change our last name to "khalsa"

all of us under ONE name

imagine instead of all the caste names in the phone book you just saw "khalsa, khalsa, khalsa, khalsa..."

please forgive me and pray that i might practice what i talk about.

vaaheguroojeekaakhaalsaavaaheguroojeekeefatheh!!

Wow! What an interesting perspective!!!

So, i guess with time, "Kaur" became femanised to mean Princess instead of Prince...

Narinder Singh always strikes controversy in EVERY forum. its ridiculous.

rolleyes.gif Post with your real account, don't hide behind the status of 'Guest'.

I don't know why people are making a big deal, what's wrong with calling yourself a lioness? Doesn't mean someone's undermining the term Kaur. Plus it has a certain ring to it, I like it.

Guest Narinder Singh
Narinder Singh always strikes controversy in EVERY forum. its ridiculous.

May i ask who you are...oh thats right, "guest".

Whats wrong with controversy? The moment Guru Nanak Dev ji began preaching sikhi there was controversy, was he ridiculous also?

Sikhi itself is controversial because it makes us dig deeper than our perception, it creates a hunger for the truth, and where ever there is truth theres controversy.

Fateh.

kulpreet singhs "rant" pretty damn amazing! well nice and informative! as for narinder singh keep it up veer ji :wub:

bhul chuk maf peepz :D

Guest Guest

I agree with Kulpreet Singhs post. Anyone who takes Amrit is a Singh. And I believe that all Amritdhari males are Kaurs also, because Kaur is a Kanwar or Prince - not a princess.

Guest Narinder Singh

As for Kulpreet Singhs post, i have yet to meet a guy use Kaur for his last name or be reffered to as "ki hal ah kaura?" rather than "ki hal hai singha?"

I honestly dont think its a big deal if guys and girls both use the names singh and kaur, but i think theres more to it than that. Guru Sahib blessed his daughters with the name kaur to give them an identity, and indepedence as women. If Guru Sahib wanted his daughters to be "lioness'" he would've given them that name himself.

If this doesnt bother you, then i guess a lot of you would be ok with a Sikh woman being called "Khalsi" and "Sikhni".

Fateh.