''im A Modern Sikh''

this term really annoys me.......i want to know what they actually mean when they say it.....really anoying tho......they dont do it in front of others BUT make it a point to let me know.

I well hate it when someone says that!! To my understandin; I always thought that "modern Sikhs" were people who went about drinking alcohol, eating meat, cutting their Kes etc but still have Shardhaa for Guru Ghar. So in ACTUAL terms its a Panjabee who is religious even though they find it difficult to follow what GuruJee teaches us (this includes me, it aint like I follow what GuruJee says :wub: )

Ok, I believe Sikhi is really modern itself but how do you explain certain backward problems that the Sikh community have such as infanticide, caste, dowry etc.

These are not isolated cases but prevalent throughout the Punjabi Sikh community. How are Sikhs modern with all this going on? Sikhi might be modern, most Sikhs however seem not to be.

You could ask these people what they actually mean when they say it, because we can conjecture and speculate all day and not get anywhere...i guess you'll also see whether they mean what they say or not. Some might just say that to look smart, or to be different from their parents (they could be teens).

To me it sounds more like sahajdhari sikhs, or sikhs who don't follow every single rule of rehat, or sikhs who "only follow Guru Nanak", however misguided that thought may be...