"harmandar Sahib", Perhaps Darbar Sahib?

Guest Questioner

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm pretty sure GBP 6 is not a good book grin.gif too much anti sikhi stuff in there nonono.gif

actually gur bilaas is written by guru hargobing singh himself so I believe

wat ever is in it is true

:D

are you sure? :wub: i dunno about that man. grin.gif its supposedly jeevni of guru hargobind patshah

Gur-bilaas Chhevin Patshaahii

It should be noted that although Kala Afghana has been writing since 1993, the Akal Takht did not move to ban him and his writings until after he unmasked the mythological and ritualistic content of the 1999 reissue of Gur-bilaas Chhevin Patshaahii, co-edited15 by the Akal Takht's jathedar (head priest), Joginder Singh Vedanti.

The anonymously authored book, often 'attributed to a poet called Sohan,'16 is a 'hagiographic treatment'17 of the life of Sikhism's sixth Guru, Hargobind. It 'portrays Guru Hargobind as the twenty-fourth reincarnation [avatar] of [the Hindu god] Vishnu'18 and asserts that the Darbar Sahib's four entrances represent not egalitarianism but 'the four arms of Chatarbhuji (a Hindu god).'19 By October 2000, the objections originally voiced by Kala Afghana had gained sufficient momentum to compel the S.G.P.C. to ban20 its own publication.

However, despite the withdrawal of the book, the rituals prescribed in it continue to be practiced at the Darbar Sahib, the holiest shrine of the Sikhs. These rituals include the nightly bathing in milk of the floor that provides the Adi Granth's daytime setting, keeping a ghee jyoti (oil lamp) lit at all times, and the provision of a cot and quilt for the Adi Granth at its nighttime resting place.

Although Vedanti wrote a disclaimer in his preface to the book acknowledging the book's numerous anti-Sikh aspects, paradoxically he also expressed the desire to see the resumption of its recitation in gurdwaras. He justified his role in promoting the book by characterizing it as 'a primary source on the life of Guru Hargobind.'21

In the above backdrop, Vedanti's action against Kala Afghana appears vengeful. Furthermore, it is an irresponsible abuse of power contributing to the lowering of the prestige of his august office.

no well i learned about the book in my gurbani class here

and I learned that the book was written by guru hargobind ji himself

and many other indian authors have written about the book too saying the same thing

If you live your life based on what INDIAN authors say and what you got taught in CLASS and nothing more - then okay......

thats all I was saying I wasn't saying that I live ny wat it says just tellin

about wat I myself learned on the book

Nah this is what you said -

actually gur bilaas is written by guru hargobing singh himself so I believe

wat ever is in it is true

:wub:

You said you believe in what ever is in it - dont believe EVERYTHING you see, read or hear

Guest Guest

from this discussion it really does seem that Darbar Sahib is the proper term, the only thing i can think of that could really be proof in favour of the name Harmandar Sahib would be cold historical evidence, looking at when and who.

Just so everyone knows: The whole thing about Darbaar Saahb having 4 Duaars (Doors) isn't becuase of the whole hindu vishnu thing - NOTHING AT ALL - Sri Guru Raam Dass Jee made 4 Duaars for two reasons:

1. During the time of Guru Raam Dass Jee there were really only four MAIN castes - this explaining the reason of four doors - which represented that ALL / ANY caste etc could enter the Darbaar Saahb.

2. The four Duaars also represent the four De'hshaava'n; North, East, South and West directions - again this representing that any caste, creed, colour, religion etc can come to Darbaar Saahb.

rwmdwis srovr nwqy ]

raamadhaas sarovar naathae ||

Bathing in the sacred pool of Guru Ram Das,

sB lwQy pwp kmwqy ]2]

sabh laathhae paap kamaathae ||2||

all the sins one has committed are washed away. ||2||

http://sikhitothemax.com/page.asp?ShabadID=2359

ifTy sBy Qwv nhI quDu jyihAw ]

ddit(h)ae sabhae thhaav nehee thudhh jaehiaa ||

I have seen all places, but none can compare to You.

bDohu puriK ibDwqY qW qU soihAw ]

badhhohu purakh bidhhaathai thaa(n) thoo sohiaa ||

The Primal Lord, the Architect of Destiny, has established You; thus You are adorned and embellished.

vsdI sGn Apwr AnUp rwmdws pur ]

vasadhee saghan apaar anoop raamadhaas pur ||

Ramdaspur is prosperous and thickly populated, and incomparably beautiful.

hirhW nwnk ksml jwih nwieAY rwmdws sr ]10]

harihaa(n) naanak kasamal jaahi naaeiai raamadhaas sar ||10||

O Lord! Bathing in the Sacred Pool of Raam Daas, the sins are washed away, O Nanak. ||10||