"harmandar Sahib", Perhaps Darbar Sahib?

Guest Questioner

Guest Questioner

Dont shoot me for just askin a question, but whats the oldest account which refers to Sri Darbar Sahib as Harmandar Sahib?

The only gurbani tukh which uses the word, "prabh harmandar sohna", was written by Guroo Nanak Dev Ji, i.e before Darbar Sahib was made so i dont think that that tukh is reffering to Darbar Sahib.

So wheres the earliest place that the name "harmandar sahib" is used in reference to Darbar Sahib Amritsar?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest

that is true, however dont get me wrong when I say this, but one of the reasons Im asking is because hindus often do use this as a weapon to try to suggest that Guroo Sahib intended the panth to be a part of Hindu mat.

Its also rather intriguing to think why we wud hav Har Mandir as the name of one of the Khalsa's most important centres, if Guroo Sahib really did call it that.

Lastly, another reason why I'm asking is because if the name really did change from something to Har Mandir, then shouldnt it really be called what Guroo Sahib really intended it to be called? Darbar Sahib seems to make ALOT more sense to me. But who knows perhaps it mite have even been called somehting else by Guroo Sahib, if anything what Guroo Sahib wanted it to be called is more important than any other reason.

just an opinion, bhul chukk maff.

names change over time, many gurdwara are known by 2/3 names, as long as we understand guru ji inside, names dnt reli mean anything :wub:

bhul chuk maf

Guest Narinder Singh

Nice responses to someone who wanted to know a little bit about Sikh history, shabash!

Yea names change, so i guess its fine that majority of the world refers to Darbar Sahib as "The Golden Temple".

Fateh.

Guest Narinder Singh
How about "Swarn Mandir"? the hindi news channels use it a lot.

:wub: no!! dnt put ideas in ppls heads :TH:

It's ok, its just a name, names are always changing, besides, guru ji is inside us! Bole so nihal, sat sri aakkkaaall!!

Fateh.