Girl Hates 'kaur' In Her Name

Source: http://worldsikhnews.com/index.php?option=...2&Itemid=29

"Anti-Sikh venom can come in many forms, and all that the Sikhs should do to trigger a round of such venom spouting is to just follow the norms, stick to the law and retain self-respect.

Take the latest instance in which the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) issues certificates showing that a Sikh boy or girl has minority status. These certificates are used by the young students to lay claim to the admission quota meant for minorities. Why does one need a certifictae from the DSGMC? Because one is a Sikh and the DSGMC can rightfully certify that.

But when a girl went to seek such a certificate but stubbornly insisted that she will not have "Kaur" in her name and would rather have the caste included as her surname, the DSGMC expressed inability to grant a certificate as all Sikh girls are to have "Kaur" in their names. This is in keeping with the Sikh Code of Conduct.

The issue was provocation enough for a leading Indian English newspaper, which wrote: "If you believed casteism is rampant only in Uttarakhand, Bihar or Madhya Pradesh, our Capital is not far from it. A student of Delhi University (DU) was asked to use 'Kaur' as a middle name so that she is eligible for a minority certificate."

It further wrote: "Nainpreet Narula, now Nainpreet Kaur Narula, was denied a minority certificate by the DSGMC because she did not have Kaur as a surname."

The problem was that while Narula insisted that she was a Sikh, she could not explain why she had a problem with a name which was the blessing of the Guru, the rule of the Khalsa and the norm in the community.

The obviously irritated journalist quoted the DSGMC chief, deliberately calling him Paramjit Sarna (and removing middlename 'Singh'): "Whoever feels shamed of putting Kaur as a surname need not practise Sikhism. Here are students who, after getting minority certificate from us, get admission in engineering colleges."

The girl finally introduced 'Kaur' as her middle name, got the certificate and admission to a college on the basis of it but said she still does not like her new name. Whether she is a Sikh or not should now remain a matter between her and her God, but will the newspaper reporter be happy if the DSGMC certified that someone called Mohammad Haneef Gumza Khan was a Sikh? Afterall, what's in a name, Mr Big Time Reporter?"

I dont know anymore what we should do on the one hand people what to change our community or the other hand some want to bury their heads............there is nothing wrong with sikhi in my opinion as i think it is complete and perfect (even though sometimes i get confused lol) BUT how do we change people? we cant unless they want to change themselves first BUT BUT BUT im getting so tired of people sayin lets just pray and everything will sort itself out which is fine but we are also forgeting the part where we actually have to get off our backsides to make a change (that includes me too)...........

It is not only problem with Girls see all punjabi singer As Gurdass Mann, and all.

It is just not Girls but most sikhs. So they have more proud in being jatt then being a sikh?

Since some days i see everyone is blaming only girls but truth is boys are worst then girls in all. We can still find a keshdhari girl easily but Keshdhari boys are less in number.

So the influence of society is affecting all. Boys and girls are both affected. It is not good to allow Boys to be cleanshaven and do all things but stop girls from so. atleast Both should be treated equally.

I am not a protecting girls but just speaking Plain truth, if instead of girl we use word todays Sikhs it would be a better approach.

Regards

It is not only problem with Girls see all punjabi singer As Gurdass Mann, and all.

It is just not Girls but most sikhs. So they have more proud in being jatt then being a sikh?

Since some days i see everyone is blaming only girls but truth is boys are worst then girls in all. We can still find a keshdhari girl easily but Keshdhari boys are less in number.

So the influence of society is affecting all. Boys and girls are both affected. It is not good to allow Boys to be cleanshaven and do all things but stop girls from so. atleast Both should be treated equally.

I am not a protecting girls but just speaking Plain truth, if instead of girl we use word todays Sikhs it would be a better approach.

Regards

very true but with this post i wasnt having a dig at sikh girls.............im just saying that people are abandoning sikhi now or see sikhi as something that is holding them back (which isnt true) however, this is what some of todays sikhs sadly believe.

Ive had sikhs say to me sikhi is pointless to them but they wear turbans! Sri Guru Granth Sahib is just a 'book' and that science is fact and that religion isnt correct, religious people are narrowminded etc................i mean how can someone who is into sikhi or just getting into sikhi respond?

The religion is science, The god is only truth.

When we will reach into deeper science we will realise God.

The truth is most science given by Einstein and even in hawking book "Brief History Of time" shows analysis based on God.

Whoever has doubt that science is greater Just PM me.

The truth is all this stuff is created by God for creation of man.All things are the gift of great god to his children.

See science cannot create anything that God has. Science even today is nothing compared to God. If you recite bani you will start to see the Truth and can see that God loves each one of us and it is only us that are running away from him.

The God wants to give so much to his children it is only our small thinking that we are not able to understand it and always run for small things that are to be vanished and never care about the true treasures.

The death is the only truth in Life. We should remember it before doing anything in which we have doubt. If we are not able to destroy the five enemies the future is Grim. :wub:

Akal is only truth.

The religion is science, The god is only truth.

When we will reach into deeper science we will realise God.

The truth is most science given by Einstein and even in hawking book "Brief History Of time" shows analysis based on God.

Whoever has doubt that science is greater Just PM me.

The truth is all this stuff is created by God for creation of man.All things are the gift of great god to his children.

See science cannot create anything that God has. Science even today is nothing compared to God. If you recite bani you will start to see the Truth and can see that God loves each one of us and it is only us that are running away from him.

The God wants to give so much to his children it is only our small thinking that we are not able to understand it and always run for small things that are to be vanished and never care about the true treasures.

The death is the only truth in Life. We should remember it before doing anything in which we have doubt. If we are not able to destroy the five enemies the future is Grim. :wub:

Akal is only truth.

Ive tried explaining it like that BUT then they throw it your face by saying evolution is fact and im like no its not! they keep on saying to me God doesnt exist etc and that you done need sikhi to be a good person etc prayer is pointless so how do you answer to that???

The things science cannot prove.

1) How do time start?

2) How do life starts on earth?

3) How without God a Planet is created at exact distance from sun where Temp is sustainable. Water is formed. gravity is adequate for life. gases are in exact amount. Food is formed and what not. these things cannot be created without God.

4) A girl got her eye sight at Darbar sahib after Doctor has said that she cant be cured.

5) How life is started in an embroy?

6)The truth is evolution is only evitable everything is God one of my friend said

"God is great, if Aids virus has come to Humans 200 years ago then almost all will be affected and there will be no human life on earth now, See that, everything is wish of God"

If he wants everything will vanish there is nothing in hand of us.

There is nothing much in science they use constants to when they are proved wrong. As God has to sustain life God made some rules that are science for us.

You can say at quantum level everything is energy ( E = MC square) and You can say God is that energy and it is in everyone of us and we are not able to realise that as we have only limited brains.

Everything is God, who he wants to realise will realise its greatness others will never accept him. It is only his wish. we cant do anything.

He cant be proved, yet can be felt, if you have reached some level.

As the truth is when your behaviour or thinking will become as described in bani, you will join God.

See a simple thing sent an atheist to a place where evryone is doing Bhakti it will be hell for him.

I can only bash science, but cant prove God in science as i have not that much brain :wub:

Read bani its so advanced and everything is proved in science.

"bani says that there are numerous worlds see Sukhmani sahib" Every single line of bani is right and is not contradicting even science. It is the greatness of bani.

Just never fear about anything recite bani and live according to it, leave evrything to God. He will do everything when the time will come. We dont need to fear or worry anything.

Ive had sikhs say to me sikhi is pointless to them but they wear turbans! Sri Guru Granth Sahib is just a 'book' and that science is fact and that religion isnt correct, religious people are narrowminded etc................i mean how can someone who is into sikhi or just getting into sikhi respond?

Well my response would be straight and to the point, they should take the turban off your head and it should not be for fashion reasons or to cover their large forehead and I would slap them silly, these type of people are hypocritical and dont really contemplate the divine Gurbani enshrined in Guru Granth Sahib Ji, they are misled individuals who are surrounded by the 5 vices that are mentioned, these same 5 vices cloud their thinking and divert from righteousness . These people most liklely have not even researched or read the gurbani, in that case 'Yes' it would be pointless to them, as they dont understand what gurbani is conveying. To top it all, they would say religious people are narrow minded look around you, there are people who appear to be religious and who a narrow minded, look on these forums, how people argue and how people convey themselves, do you blame them? Yet, there is another side to the coin, there are very small number of individuals who really are devoted Gursikhs who are out of the 5 vices, they should meet those people and they will find out the opposite of narrow mindedness.

Sikhi is not wrong my friend, its the people that are wrong.

End of the day if a Sikh follows the principles and teachings of our beloved Guru Sahib, then people who are misled would not think that they are narrow minded. People who appear to be religious but who are hypocritical (and many are) are narrow minded.