Feeling Low!

Guest anonymous sikh

Guest anonymous sikh

I tried searching the topic but since I’m not a member was unable to get any links. I wanted to search a topic of depression I feel unvalued and unappreciated in life and don’t find any happiness in any part of my life. This is not a just a stage of sadness I have felt like this for months. I can’t talk to family because they wouldn’t understand especially brother and dad. Plus I don’t really see them much since there always working. I wanted to get ideas how to go around this problem and no typical do simran replies because it only works for a FEW. I’d like practical advice or people I could speak to. Sorry I cant go into more detail feel embarrassed 

Thanks

i was in your shoes a few months back...wasn't as motivated in school (though grades didn't suffer), just tired all the time, kept thinking of myself as removed from the world. Fact is, i don't know how i came out of it, but i know what happened. My mom and brother came back from india (they had been visitng for almost a year; i'd been living with my dad), i had summer break, and most significantly, i had summer school where i not only got a whole lot of exercise, but managed to find quite a few interesting people to talk to. I guess i simply distracted myself, managed to focus on something else, and was active. Surprisingly, that cured most of my symptoms of depression...

my depression was caused by inactivity and negative thoughts, but yours might just be clinical. I strongly urge you to check with a doctor, or if you can, a psychologist (i've never been to one, but i know it helps). Or talk to someone u know will understand. If u don't have these options, try what i did. Get out more, be active, try not to think and instead do something and try and be productive. Sleep early, wake up early, eat moderately and EXERCISE DAILY! And not the light type; do cardio that gets you sweaty (always be between 75-90% of your max heart rate; max heart rate = 220 - (your age); this formula is a good estimate). Talk to your friends, do nitnem if that helps regulate you. Do everything that you can.

Do all this only if u think u can. If not, confront your parents (your mom could probably talk to u). You might need anti-depressants to regulate any clinical problems that might be affecting you.

And remember this: while it may seem as though the fog may never lift, your true self is always under there, waiting to spring back up and start living. You just have to believe you can make it out...

wjkk wjkf

Please dont think that you are alone and the only one suffering from depression. It can affect anyone. There are lots of reasons/theories why people may become depressed...something extreme may have happened in there life/childhood, it may be due to their genetics, may be due to a chemical imbalance in the brain- low levels of monoamines (serotonin and noradrenaline) which drug therapy tries to restore.

I advise that you go to see your GP and he will most likely do a blood test to rule out other causes (eg thyroid problems, anaemia) and may refer you to see a psychiatrist.

treatment depends on how severe your depression is and involves social, psychological and biological

biological= drug therapy, most like be started on a drug called Fluoxetine (prozac)

Psychological= Cognitive Behavioural Therapy- sit with therapist and try to change your thinking.

Social= support at home, loooking after yourself.

These can all help to make you feel better and control your depression (if you are depressed, you may just be feeling low but not depressed)

anyways i hope i have helped you with some information.

wjkk wjkf

If it was you would you honestly go and see a doctor or a psychologist? because personally i wouldnt i find the whole thing really strange.I remember studying this topic in psychology, even if its just a mild symptom of depression the doctors just think the cures gona be found in drugs but thats not the way out!

Just talk to the people around you because thats the only way your going to get out of your whole depression cycle. If your family cant help go to close mates trust me it'l really help. Think about what could have triggered it. Have you ever felt like this before? Usually its caused when ur missing something in your life, just think on it. I dont really know what else i can say because im not sure whats going on with you but ermmm least u came here to ask for advice which is good, dont think your alone in this.

take care

I tried searching the topic but since I'm not a member was unable to get any links. I wanted to search a topic of depression I feel unvalued and unappreciated in life and don't find any happiness in any part of my life. This is not a just a stage of sadness I have felt like this for months. I can't talk to family because they wouldn't understand especially brother and dad. Plus I don't really see them much since there always working. I wanted to get ideas how to go around this problem and no typical do simran replies because it only works for a FEW. I'd like practical advice or people I could speak to. Sorry I cant go into more detail feel embarrassed 

Thanks

grin.gif dont know why you said that.

Naam simran is the medicine of all diseases, its the best cure of them all.

Doing naam simran from ur heart will always bear fruit.

I think you need sangat. go to your local gurdwara or try meetin up with local sangat, get together and do kirtan and tht.

Try reading gurbani to understand why you're here and whats ur purpose.

Try and sit your brother and father down and explain to them how you're feeling. perhaps on the weekend you can all go out as a family or summit. or maybe approach other family members.

When ever i feel down, i just think of all the poeple who are way less unfortunate than me, like children starving in thirdworld countries and young kids being raped and tht. realise how fortunate you are, and how blessed you are. life was never meant to be easy, but with mahraj on ur side anything is possible.

vahiguroooo

pm sumone from this forum if it helps chattin to them....

but what about depression that does not have a psychological cause?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinical_depression

apparently, depression has both biological and environmental causes.

there are many causes of depression, although normally it is mild and can be cured simply by doing what i decribed earlier. That's my view anyway, you should still see a doctor. Why? Because they've the experience. If they diagnose an imbalance of receptors in your brain, if they find a physical cause, then they really should give you anti-depressants.

Drugs do work for some types of depression. But they are very specific, and u shouldn't take them without talking to ur doctor.

I agree with the suggestion to do nitnem, but i disagree with ruling out the experience and expertise of good doctors. Find a desi doctor so u can feel more comfortable, or one of the same gender as you.

Guest anonymous_sikh

Thank's for your replies and I'll try things like working out and keeping busy. I'd like to do some sort of charity work with children which I think would be good for me just need to find somewhere that I could help out. The thing with simran is from my experience is that you need total surrender to bear any "fruit" I do love Gurbani and thanks for those beautiful shabad's. I wake up early already for work I try and get up early do Japji Sahib and simran. I dont want to take any drugs that totaly freaks me out.