Rakhri

i agree...there's no reason to call rakhi anti-sikh, although it is up to u if u want to do it. I agree that sikhs are meant to be brothers anyday, just as they are meant to be good sons. So we have mother's day, and in this case rakhi, that some people use to """emphasize""" that duty. Nothing wrong with emphasization of the same principle that is present in sikhism...but it still is your choice...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Narinder Singh

With a Sikh woman has a Sri Sahib by her side and the power of Akal backing her up, a stupid thread thats called a "rakhri" becomes a joke.

And all this "singhs are meant to protect their sisters" jargon belongs on a hindu forum, dont bring that garbage mat on this forum.

Fateh.

skepticsikh i agree with you if the rakhri was in fact a secular concept but you seemed to have decided to skip the ancient idea of rakhi in the post by Mehtab Singh written by a Harpreet Singh.

in it it states the concpet as a religious one. you seemed to have jumped thousands of years to a Mughal story.

That's my issue with your post.

nothing else.

A stupid string isn't a threat to me personally nor is it to sikhi. just want to get the facts straight, that's all.

who are we to believe, the story about the origins of rakhi by harpreet singh or your version?

one talks about the roots of this festival to ancient hindu times and your talking about the mughal period.

you get me?

peace bro.

well i agree....i read something like that on wikipedia too. But the fact is that since hinduism is so old and without an authoritative structure, you can bend almost every feature of 'indian culture' into 'hindu culture' if you so choose. Hinduism is very adaptable in that sense and has historically been able to be tolerant and take into itself the beliefs and philosophies of others. Like buddha....there are quite a few hindus who believe him to be another one of vishnu's avatars. And also, even if rakhi's origins are seen in hinduism, they are seen in hindu legends; i didn't want to trace the origin to mythology but to history, and history that i had heard myself.

I thought rakhi was secular in the contemporary sense, because of course there are many different people from many different religions who do it. And that's basically it.