Sikh Youth Denied Entry Into Us Nightclub

Greater-Punjab

maybe we can educate the clubs in a good way, and tell them that if you see someone entering the club with a dastaar, tell them it is a direspect to guru sahib and refuse them entry :D

now that would be real education.

yeah i know its unrealistic.

I remember reading a story of a teenaged Sikh boy who hated to keep long hair and went to a barber's shop to have his hair cut. He wanted to rebel against his father. The barber was an old man, and knew about Sikhism. He just looked at the boy and smiled, and told him he wasn't gonna to cut his hair. I don't remember all the details. After a while the Sikh boy got frustrated, realized his mistake, got up and left.

So mann veeray, your idea is not totally unrealistic. We could have the bouncers trained to recite "Sat Sri Akaal" to each man they saw with a turban, and ask them "So how would you feel if I told you that your Guru was watching you visit this place? Would you still wanna go in? I can let you in, but how would you face your Guru?"

The one who still goes in after this, barra besharm banda hou fer! :)

yeah i get what your saying. like muslims have done a superb job of educating people on the fundamentals of their faith.

during ramadan, my co-workers make sure they don't ask our muslim co-workers to go out for lunch during ramadan cause they know they are fasting during that time.

also, i myself see my muslim friends eating meat and i ask them aren't you only supposed to eat halal...

once i went to get some ribs and the gorri was like, sir this is pork, she thought i was Muslim, i was like, oh its cool, i'm down with pork :D poor lady was confused hehe

but yeah, with educating people, these things can be realistic....

Related news

http://www.indiaenews.com/america/20070829/67704.htm

The owner of an upscale private club in Salt Lake City has apologized for turning away a Sikh man because his turban violated its no-hats policy.

Harpreet Singh Multani was denied entry to Club Habits in July and was told that the club's no-hats policy applied to his turban also.

The Sikh American Legal Defense and Education Fund (SALDEF), a Washington based Sikh organisation wrote a letter to the authorities regarding the incident, the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper reported.

Club Habits owner Bill Carter said Tuesday that he had received the letter and his club would issue an apology inviting Multani to visit again.

'We apologize to him . . . through our ignorance we didn't know there was a religious-type problem with anyone,' he said.

Multani said he and several friends went to the club July 14 and waited in line to get in.

'The lady at the front door, the only thing she said is you cannot have any head coverings and you cannot come in,' he said in an interview Tuesday.

Multani said he found no sign with a dress code posted outside the club or on the club's website, leaving him wondering if he had been singled out.

In a similar incident, another Sikh youth, Dave Bindra, has approached the US justice department after he was allegedly denied entry into two nightclubs in California because he was wearing a turban last month.

He was apparently told by one of the club managers that it didn't matter that the turban was a religious headgear.

Meanwhile, Rajbir Singh Datta, spokesman of SALDEF said he was pleased to know that Club Habits had apologised.

His group would send Carter information explaining various types of religious headgears, Datta said.

Although some of the shortsighted might consider this "bad news" because they were going into a big bad club filled with boogeymen and would come out as evil zombies who are souless blah blah blah, this is excellent news and I'm proud that the Sikh Legal Defense league fought and educated these owners because the bigger issue is the PRINCIPLE and PRECEDENT set by countering racism against the turban, be it ANYWHERE. Big ups Sikh Defense!